The Keys of Krodacia: Revision Discussion

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Keen 8 is a mod of K6, which didn't have a helpscreen at all. I think it would be too much of an unnecessary hassle to patch that in, honestly. If it's even possible.
Keen 7 is indeed very Keen4ish, but I ask the question, is that even a bad thing? One thing I love about TKoK is the dark, gloomy atmosphere, enhanced by the repetitive and sometimes annoying, yet very fitting music. I feel like Keen 7 is to other UTUIT mods what Morrowind is to the rest of the Elder Scrolls games. Outdated, maybe, and certainly not perfect, but it just has "that thing."
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Let's see:

If I made the revision of Keen 7-9, I would change a lots of things (of course).

Keen 7:
I would start with Keen 7, which is - like I said - Keen4ish if we look at the style (in good meaning). Moreover I've found typos as well (not 1). I'd add some new levels as well. Of course, some very minor changes as well.

Keen 8:
For this I have a help menu patch Levellass made + a menu bitmap patch (MAIN MENU, CONFIG MENU, etc.) that makes menu bitmaps disappear, so I'll have free space to use help menu bitmaps.

Keen 9:
I would add some Keen 10 preview screenshots as Keen 10 follows this episode + some very minor changes.

P.S. Ceilick, if you allow me to pick up this revision project, I'll be very happy to "jump into it" in the near or far future. If not so, then I'll just suggest ideas or just let me help you in the revision. :)
Yeah, piece of cake!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Is it really a good idea to add more levels to K7? I mean, the goal was to keep the mods as close to the original games as possible, and Keen 4 already had more levels than any other Keen game. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Yeah, you can add more levels in Keen 5 as well if you mod it. 15 is used, but it's up to 18 (so 3 more unused) as you see the warp cheat: (1-18).
Yeah, piece of cake!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh please leave the trilogy to Ceilick!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

wiivn wrote:Oh please leave the trilogy to Ceilick!
He decides, not you!

And honestly (just to ask): have you seen him recently? Because I haven't.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

szemi wrote:
wiivn wrote:Oh please leave the trilogy to Ceilick!
He decides, not you!
Good. Because that's what I'm sayin.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Amen.

And like I said, I don't force Ceilick to "give" me this revision project. It was just an idea, so he decides: Yes szemi, sure or no, szemi, you are not allowed to.

Then like I said I'll only suggest ideas.
Yeah, piece of cake!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Not to bother this theme again, but something whispers that nothing will be of this revision.

Just saying, so don't attack or blame me.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Reactor
Grunt

Post by Reactor »

Well well well! It's 'bout time. I never thought that Keys of Krodacia will get a little updated, but I'm glad Ceilick shall have the time to fix up a few thingz here and there. My opinion 'bout Keys of Krodacia shall be written in da corresponding topic, so I wouldn't pollute this one wit' mah opinionz, instead, I'd point out what to fix.

- The music. As many forum memberz skillfully pointed out, most of the music is simply horrible. I admit, original Keen 4 songs weren't ear-worms either (the music of Sand Yego/Mirage/Well of Wishes was complete vomit), these are at least a tad better, but still...they're too repetative, uneventful, and out of tune. Compared to yer master-hit Shikadi Rock 2, they simply don't even exist.
If you wish, I can offer mah services as I did IMF-making fer Wolf3D mods before, in fact, quite a lot of, so if y'wish, imma makin' some good an' enjoyable IMF tunes out of MIDI.

- Cranks are too rare IMHO. A few more should be added in Hard difficulty (takin' into account that they're safe to touch, they're not a threat at all).

- Hipalongs should be more useful (i.e. putting them on places wit' hazards, like The Fun House where the playerz can profit from their special purpose).

- The graphics of those disappearing-reappering blue plates should be a bit more improved. I mean, the Miragia glass blocks looked damn good, these look a bit...simple to me. However, y'skillfully added a rim 'round them, justifying why Keen can hold onto them. Nice solution! :)

- Those goodies in Cliff Hanger are next to impossible to grab. Please, make that particular fire a bit smaller.

- Ogobogos can actually swim in wallz and kill Keen regardless, so they either should be slower or have better hit detection. I also noticed that the Ogobogo will NEVER retreat from the small niche with the sugar cubes (Shoal maybe?), so it's impossible to grab them.

- A bit more thoughtful level names. "The complex" sounds very common IMHO. If it wuz meant to be a living place, it should be "Housing estate" or "Tenement complex". Blue Forest, The Mushroom Forest and these similar ones are OK.
[/i]
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
"Marine! Er...never mind..."
TRANSMISSION ENDS