The Keys of Krodacia: Revision Discussion

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

I'd like to point out that, while I think TKOK is a pretty good game overall, this thread was started to make a good game better, specifically getting it to the quality of Keen's 8 and 9. I'll still probably play the original version, I definitely will still enjoy it, especially in terms of level design. That said, I think with improvements to music and level names at least are in order to get the game close to as good as 8 & 9 and whatever else Ceilick decides to add/change is icing on the cake in my opinion.
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

All I ask that the TKOK revision keep in mind is that the Brombo in Mushroom Forest that's guarding the green key be reconsidered for easy mode. I have no problems with the one guarding the switch even on hard, but the one next to the green key has always given me more trouble than he's worth.
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

9montkor wrote:]About the new songs I tried installing it but when i did the music was not on. I went to configer put it on and it went back off just telling you.
What operating system are you trying to run the game on? Are you using Dosbox?
cooba
Grunt

Post by cooba »

Glad to see you're willing to improve upon Keen 7 because it is very much the weakest link of the trilogy and not little else than a reskin of Keen 4. I think I actually prefer Keen 4 to Keen 7 (sorry).

You have my fully support for this, and for every "don't you dare edit your own mod Ceilicl!!!" I'll give you two "go ahead"s.

- nondescript "JCF guy" from the Keen9 thread
9montkor
Vortininja

Post by 9montkor »

Paramultart wrote:The music was probably my biggest pet peeve with Keen 7.
Some of the tracks just really do not fit the game at all, namely the following levels:

Level 1, (forgot the name... but the music is barely even audible)

Forest Tunnel, (It's just a bunch of random notes! So irritating, I had to turn the music completely off at this point)

Stone Temple Level 14 (Headache inducing)

That's all I can think of right now. I'll play through Keen 7 again so I can more adequately answer all of your questions.

Also, I don't mean any offense by this, it's meant to be constructive. :disguised
All the songs that you listed are one of the best. Can you even hear?! :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

9montkor wrote:
Some of the tracks just really do not fit the game at all, namely the following levels:

Forest Tunnel, (It's just a bunch of random notes! So irritating, I had to turn the music completely off at this point)

That's all I can think of right now. I'll play through Keen 7 again so I can more adequately answer all of your questions.

Also, I don't mean any offense by this, it's meant to be constructive. :disguised
All the songs that you listed are one of the best. Can you even hear?! :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
I think Paramultart is much more qualified to criticise game music than most here, given that he has written the best mod music of all. He may not be Bobby Prince but he's no Shadamaphone...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
9montkor
Vortininja

Post by 9montkor »

DHeadshot wrote:
9montkor wrote:

I think Paramultart is much more qualified to criticise game music than most here, given that he has written the best mod music of all. He may not be Bobby Prince but he's no Shadamaphone...
Mod music does he even do it? And why are you not voting on be for a change.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

ironically, the song name is "It's Quiet... too Quiet".

i agree about the painful music, the only song on the list being on par with the rest of TUIT being the worldmap song.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

i agree about the painful music, the only song on the list being on par with the rest of TUIT being the worldmap song.
The worldmap song and the song when you acquire a key...I liked that one as well.
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

cooba wrote:Glad to see you're willing to improve upon Keen 7 because it is very much the weakest link of the trilogy and not little else than a reskin of Keen 4. I think I actually prefer Keen 4 to Keen 7 (sorry).
That's how I feel about it. I emailed Ceilick a list of changes I wanted, but thought I'd put it here too:

-In all three episodes, change the colors of the large scrolling "COMMANDER KEEN" letters to match their colors on the title screens(green, blue, and yellow, respectively).

-In the opening credits, the credit "Keen's creator" maybe should be changed to "Commander Keen created by..."

-The "Order Info" section of the help menu needs some work:
-The page about Battle of the Brains in Keen 7's help still refers to that game as Episode unknown, please fix!
-The list of the 7 other Keen games in the Ordering Info should be organized by series, as they are in 4 and 5's pages.
-The Keen 7 and 8 help menu's ordering info sections should have pictures from Keen 9.
-The Keen 7, 8, and 9 ordering info sections should also have info on where you can get Keens 1-5.

-I liked the music for Keen 7's overworld map, but the rest of the game's music could use some work...

-The high score screen in Keen 8 should have different background music. The "Battle for the Ship" level is like a boss level, so I think the music should be exclusive to that level.

-Keen 8 should have a "to be continued..." splash screen at the end just like 7
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Tom Hall's title "Keen's Creator" is fine, IMO.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Deltamatic wrote:Tom Hall's title "Keen's Creator" is fine, IMO.
I agree, it's more... personal this way. It's like, putting the emphasis on the fact that HE was the guy behind it, not just the fact that IT was something he created and he's just a guy...

If that makes any sense...
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Am I srsly the only one here who thinks TKoK doesn't need any bigger improvements?
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Yes.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Nospike wrote:Am I srsly the only one here who thinks TKoK doesn't need any bigger improvements?
No - I've not had any issues with it.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."