Commander Keen in "Botafloria Is Out Of Flowers"

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Do you want the new raygun to have recoil?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 13

kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Nospike wrote:I got music working for the demo, but the only song I had didn't fit into the level. Most levels will be outdoors, though there will surely be cave areas and indoor areas. (snickian base) I'll send you a PM about the music.
inside: a flower pot? P(l)otting shed? What kinda setting?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
GameBird
Vortininja

Post by GameBird »

Alright... Try this one on for size:
edt: link removed
Last edited by GameBird on Fri Sep 24, 2010 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Right here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6YbNIvUFg
Soundtrack Composer for:
-- Botfloria is Out of Flowers! -- The Atroxian Realm --
-- Mystery of Isis II
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

That's a great world map song! Thanks!
But, please, PM me the songs next time, if it's possible. :)
GameBird
Vortininja

Post by GameBird »

Oh, yeah, sure thing; sorry about that. I'll remove the link and PM them to you from now on.
Soundtrack Composer for:
-- Mystery of Isis II
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

It's OK. :)
It's just because people will likely come here expecting a progress update.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

So, the lack of new sprites has been slowing down progress a lot lately, but the mod is NOT dead/canceled or whatever. MMS has agreed to make some sprites, so I've finally moved to level design. The first level is nearly done. I'll probably make a video when I finish the first level and get the robot sprite. But that will probably not be so soon, considering the fact that MMS has left us for some time and that I got a very annoying bug I can't seem to iron out.
The problem is, due to Levellass' vorticon commander patch, every time a dead vorticon is spawned, it remains stationary with the "air synth" frame (the game checks if the level number is 16 at this point, and if it is, then it exits the level and marks it as done). Then it recovers and needs to be shot again to die properly. However, when the vorticon recovers, it falls through the tile it's standing on and either falls (if the lower tile is non-solid) or starts walking on the lower tile (if the lower tile is solid). I need this fixed up, not for the first level, however in the later levels, it's very important. Does somebody know how to fix it?
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I don't remember this thread at all!
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Final edits on the first level are done and it's been playtested. I've been adding some more things into the read me file (credits, hints and such) and will be adding a whole new thing in it - achievements! Once the game is released, you can post your achievements in this thread. I hope it will keep some guys entertained and make the mod last longer. :)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Here is the new video! Enjoy it and feel free to post suggestions. Read the description if you want to know what's been changed since the demo release.
WATCH EET
:) There is one secret and one easter egg in the level.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

The graphics aren't too bad but the level design really needs work. I suggest you take a look at Search for the Sentinel. I think that's the level design you may be aiming for.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Thanks! The odd level design is intentional. I don't want the player to have any ammo in the first two levels - Keen accidentally left all the IMSR ammunition in his megarocket, but at the start of the third level, he modifies the IMSR so it can use Neural Stunner ammo. But you're right with one thing, the mod really needs platforms that can be used in any way, so I'm going to make some rock platforms ASAP. It's impossible to distinguish the blocking and non-blocking dirt platforms from each other anyway.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I've got the same feeling as CKeen, but maybe the other levels will look differently.
I agree, the platform graphics are nice.
I noticed the exit cuts away some of your grass when you walk through it, so you might want this patch:

Code: Select all

#Exit tiles don't change when Keen exits
%patch $417E $90 #Top blank tile doesn't appear
%patch $41A7 $90 #Bottom blank tile doesn't appear
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

To be honest I was mainly referring to the lack of any sort of decoration in the first level. I understand it's a beta but I figured I'd point it out anyway. You should need some trees, bushes, and perhaps remove that mountain because imho it looks a little silly. Perhaps you could make a "climb" level later on!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Looking pretty cool, I like the way the yorp replacements are jumping down the mountain at keen. Also really like that wooden plank ladder thing toward the start of the platforms.

What is the tower thing keen starts in? I suggest, instead of building it all out of 1 metallic tile blocks, carving rooms into the inside and decorating them somehow. Keen could either get to these rooms (just for points or something) once he reaches the bottom and must go back up, or they can be unreachable and just be there for looks.

You didn't show the bottom right of the level, so for all I know theres stuff down there, but if not, I highly recommend making use of every 'corner' of your levels. Optional areas can be appealing when they offer points and are not too difficult compared to their reward. Just don't go overboard with extra areas to the extent players can't find the exit :)

I'm not sure how I feel about the long straightaway keen has to walk to the exit. You may want to make the ground a little uneven so the player has to jump (just for the sake of making them do something, however simple). I do like that their aren't any enemies there.
GameBird
Vortininja

Post by GameBird »

Haha, this is awesome! You even got my music working!

I was about to suggest putting some flowers around the level but then I remembered the name of the mod :crazy
I also like the way that the aliens (Botaflorians?) are so stiff, but I wonder if you intended for them to animate more?
Soundtrack Composer for:
-- Mystery of Isis II