New Commander Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Yeah, this is exactly what I had on mind. Looks awesome!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I really like what I'm seeing. Keep it up!
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Looks nice, but I think the VGA gems aren't very keenish and they look weird next to the low-res tiles.
They're copied directly from the Jazz 1 Diamondus tileset. I suggest these tiles as being less... diamond shaped:

What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I cannot support a mod almost entirely composed of unoriginal material.
Those Jazz diamonds stuck out like a sore thumb... And if it's VGA, why is Keen still solid white?

I suggest completely scrapping all of the unoriginal material in this project.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Paramultart wrote:I cannot support a mod almost entirely composed of unoriginal material.
Those Jazz diamonds stuck out like a sore thumb... And if it's VGA, why is Keen still solid white?

I suggest completely scrapping all of the unoriginal material in this project.
This gave me a neat, but possibly terrible idea.
What about an animutation-style keen mod?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Paramultart wrote:I cannot support a mod almost entirely composed of unoriginal material.
I can and will, and have, and have made that kind of mods...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Deal w/ It. He has permission to use these resources so he can use them as much as he likes.
Paramultart wrote:I suggest completely scrapping all of the unoriginal material in this project.
No. Besides, I do honestly like what I see. Who cares if it's not completely original, as long as it's good.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

@Paramultart: If someone was to remove all "unoriginal" material, the project would end up as a total conversion, not just a simple modification. That way, your request doesn't even make sense to me.

The changes to the tileset are looking good so far. And I think I could help you to include some new enemies, if you still want to do that.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

ITT: I get bashed for encouraging original content. :bloody
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

"I cannot support a mod almost entirely composed of unoriginal material." is not encouraging. You got 'bashed' for the manner in which you were promoting original content.

I'd like to see the keen sprite about the same as the old one. Maybe some small vga touch ups on his shirt and shoes, but otherwise it fits well as it is in wiivn's screenshots.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Paramultart wrote:ITT: I get bashed for encouraging original content. :bloody
If you still had your old avatar, you'd get "Moster Bash"-ed!

I just couldn't resist writing that, but I'll stop here.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

... :confused OK, let's close the crystal subject, shall we?

Basically, what CKeen said: "Who cares if it's not completely original, as long as it's good."

That's it. :crazy

I don't know why you've make it so big deal? Here's what I have to say:

My goal is you, the player, to enjoy one fine game. It's still Keen, but with the addition of vga it's something refreshingly new. We've all seen dozens of keen1-3 mods, and some keen4-6 mods, but all are with ega graphics and with it's engine limitations. Now, when we have the ability to finally make something vga-able on a new and modern good engine, it will be one new good experience.

@Paramultar mostly: thanks for the suggestion and for the encouraging (I guess), but the crystals are the only "borrowed" graphics from other games. So this mod is not "a mod almost entirely composed of unoriginal material". The main reasons I've used the crystals:
- imo they look really cool and fit well.
- it's my first mod and I forced myselft to speed up the things to see some results fast. I really want to make dozens of graphics but that's much time taking.
- I don't want to be a prisoner of one style, but I'm also not a god artist.
- Technically, they're not the same in terms of exact same colors, shading, pixel alignment.

As for Billy sprite: as K1n9_Duk3 said, right now it's more like a simple modification. Ceilick also pointed that Keen looks ok. I really like the original Billy graphics themselves and I've never seen anyone successfully surpassing them. Eventually, he may become a vga sprite too, but it's not my priority right now. I'm still working on the tileset. Although it isn't as easy as I thought it would be, it's still fun working on it. And I'm enjoying it and you should too.

There will be tiles/sprites that some of you would not like, other will. There will be a lot of modified keen ones. I don't know. Don't get too much into it. But if you don't like it, don't play it. Hopefully, most of you will be pleased. I have plans for the next tileset, which will be completely original (not that this one isn't), but I'll talk about it when it's time. Right now I'm concentrated on this one and let's see how it goes out.

So c'mon. Consider this crystal subject close.

I'm more considered in subjects such as:

Should a sprite or decoration tiles be entirely roundabout with black? That's what most of the Keen sprites/tiles are and I'm trying to follow that, but in vga that may be avoided.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Should a sprite or decoration tiles be entirely roundabout with black? That's what most of the Keen sprites/tiles are and I'm trying to follow that, but in vga that may be avoided.
I think so. The only time an object shouldnt be outlined in black is if its in the distance or if its part of the background, otherwise it doesnt stand out very well.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Ceilick wrote:"I cannot support a mod almost entirely composed of unoriginal material." is not encouraging.
When taken out of context, no, it's not.
I was only offering my opinion and making a suggestion, and even if he created a bunch of the content in this game, then why soil it with a few unnecessary ripped graphics? Those little crystals are not beneficial to the game's look at all. They look severely out of place, like Keen's albino skin in contrast to his colorful environment.

There is a time and place for ripped graphics. Mario graphics for a Mario mod, Zelda graphics for a Zelda mod, Danger Dave graphics for a Dangerous Dave mod... I'll be using Monster Bash graphics for a small Monster Bash mod... and so on, and so on.

I just don't see why it's necessary at all. I would rather play a mod with mediocre art and good design than one with a bunch of irrelevant tiles from various games slapped together haphazardly, and I refuse to believe that I am the only one here who feels this way.
wiivn wrote:Who cares if it's not completely original, as long as it's good.
:tired
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Paramultart wrote:I was only offering my opinion and making a suggestion, and even if he created a bunch of the content in this game, then why soil it with a few unnecessary ripped graphics? Those little crystals are not beneficial to the game's look at all. They look severely out of place, like Keen's albino skin in contrast to his colorful environment.
What you don't seem to get is that the crystals look unnecessary and non-beneficial to you only, to me, for example, they look really good. And I don't care if they're ripped or something, I've used duke nukem 3d textures resources in a doom mod, does that make me a foob?
Paramultart wrote:There is a time and place for ripped graphics. Mario graphics for a Mario mod, Zelda graphics for a Zelda mod, Danger Dave graphics for a Dangerous Dave mod... I'll be using Monster Bash graphics for a small Monster Bash mod... and so on, and so on.
And since both jazz jackrabbit and commander keen are platformers, one game's resources may be used in the other.

Honestly, as wiivn said, you really are making a big deal about those crystals. They're only crystals, not even part of the gameplay. Bah...
Paramultart wrote:I just don't see why it's necessary at all. I would rather play a mod with mediocre art and good design than one with a bunch of irrelevant tiles from various games slapped together haphazardly, and I refuse to believe that I am the only one here who feels this way.
Then don't play it. No one is forcing you to like this. I like it the way it is going and I hope it doesn't change. Go find and play some mod with original and mediocre art, if that is what you wish.
Paramultart wrote:
wiivn wrote:Who cares if it's not completely original, as long as it's good.
:tired
That is the truth :P