Possible Keen 6/Keen 5 mod... maybe?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Is this a terrible idea or what?

Yep!
27%
Not really.
73%

Total votes: 30

Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

How about a bunch of different breeds of Shikadi dogs, such as Shockuahua or Electric Retriever?
I'm not sure if we'll want more than one variety of shockshund in the mod, but at least one new variety is a great idea. I'm thinking the Babobba or Bobba would be ideal for this. We can patch it to move faster and stun only temporarily.
The Koraths should then be able to defeat the Shikadi less through force and conventional warfare, and more through nationalistic fervor and possibly guerrilla tactics or something to that effect.
Lets not forget the the Korath police were able to arrest the Shikadi for double parking in Keen 5. This suggests a few things: they either don't know whats going on outside their own planet or they don't care, and they have the capability to remove and arrest what I guess would be a dozen or so Shikadi from their own ship.

To me, this suggests that the Korath police are THE force to be reckoned with in Korath society. If the story involves a Korath military presence, I think this should take the form of the Korath police with conscripted Korath soldiers taking the form of Citizen-Deputies or something. And like scottish clans, I imagine their are different "police departments" across Korath III that have to band together to fend off a full Shikadi attack.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

Well, I think that if we're going to start this mod, we need a group of modders, and if we need a group of modders, we should get one.

...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i could possibly help with ideas, and prototype images, but not much else.

if it's possible to splice together both keen 5 and 6, then there could be some sory of equalization, so there won't be too many inconsistent monsters.

on the subject of ideas, here's what i have so far:

shelley bombardier: babobba
the shikadi could fit quite nicely as buffed up bloogs, or they could replace themselves
busted sphereful: blorb
quadrantium hull-plated ampton: flect (it reflects shots, because bullets have to cross all 4 rantiums!)
sparky mark XI: nospike (reference to how badly it has been overused)
armored shockshund: gik (it is no longer vulnerable, or able to shoot barks, but equally deadly!)
crazy star: orbatrix (only deadly when spikes are brandished)
the roboblue could fit quite nicely for the bobba, it could charge up, and then unleash a powerful shot that slices across the screen.
the korath police should be bipships, namely because bobba is taken, and the ship is the only other shooting monster.
shikadi superstunner: blooguard (needs to shoot 10 times)
i'm not too sure what to do for celicks, but it might be usable as a strange spindred
bips can be transformed into harmful little shelly, somehow

i'm sure inspiration will arrive to someone else for the other few creatures
Last edited by Eros on Tue Nov 16, 2010 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

I can sprite, or design levels.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

Eros wrote:shelley bombardier: babobba
Eros wrote:the korath police should be bipships, namely because bobba is taken, and the ship is the only other shooting monster.
I was thinking that the Babobba could be the Korath Police, as they're a some what peaceful race whose guns wouldn't fire that well. If the shots could be patched to go straight, that would be good.
Eros wrote:the shikadi could fit quite nicely as buffed up bloogs, or they could replace themselves
busted sphereful: blorb
quadrantium hull-plated ampton: flect (it reflects shots, because bullets have to cross all 4 rantiums!)
Good ideas, need just a bit more thought. Not pressuring you or any thing, just saying the team needs to think these out and smooth the rough bits.
Eros wrote:sparky mark XI: nospike (reference to how badly it has been overused)
VERY good idea, hadn't even thought of that. But I think it'l still going to be Mark II, isn't it?
Eros wrote:armored shockshund: gik (it is no longer vulnerable, or able to shoot barks, but equally deadly!)
crazy star: orbatrix (only deadly when spikes are brandished)
the roboblue could fit quite nicely for the bobba, it could charge up, and then unleash a powerful shot that slices across the screen.
Cool, cool, and super cool.
Eros wrote:shikadi superstunner: blooguard (needs to shoot 10 times)
i'm not too sure what to do for celicks, but it might be usable as a strange spindred
bips can be transformed into harmful little shelly, somehow
Good ideas, but you realize that not all enemies/levels/stuff are being based directly on Keen 5 ones.
And finally, he wrote:i'm sure inspiration will arrive to someone else for the other few creatures
Yes, and this mod won't necessarily include all of these ideas.
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

well, you miss all of the shots you don't shoot, so i'm just spouting ideas and see which ones stick.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

*obligatory idea-bump*

not too sure this is fully dead, but here's a list of more ideas.

blooglet: 4 varieties of koraths, only one being deadly, all capable of dropping gems (1hp)
bip: spark, killed by pogoing, kills/stuns you on touch
babobba: the korath First Union of Capture League (FUCL) trap squad (2 hits)
gik: watthound, jumps and slides using claws, doesn't shoot (immortal)
flect: roboblue, the logic behind this is that it can only be killed/stunned from above, and when it recieves a shot, it reflects ~10 at you. (5 hits to head)
bipship: roboYellow, shoots bullets that explode when in contact with ground (6hp)
bloog: war shikadi militia (5hp)
blooguard: war shikadi armored strikers (10hp, used sparingly)
bobba: war shikadi elite ahnnialator (immortal)
blorb: war shikadi mobile void (immortal, bounces about)
ceilick: war shikadi laser gate (immortal)
fleex: war shikadi power-tank (15hp, only in 2 or so levels)
nospike: roboGreen: charges about, leaving a trail of 5 bombs that disappear after a bit (8hp)
orbatrix: war shikadi experimental enemy (5hp)

... questions and comments...
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
9montkor
Vortininja

Post by 9montkor »

tulip wrote:Your sprites look good, and Korath would be a great place to make a mod, sufficently canonic, yet unexplored terrain.
I agree with most of Ceilicks points though.
Realy
am am a fan of the game keen Da i am
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Somehow I never noticed this posting. If you guys can get a working tileset together with some level of organization, and get sprites nailed down, I'd be willing to design levels for you. But I'm not willing to design any before that because I'll have to go back through and change/rework everything if the tileset changes on me, or if the enemies behavior changes drastically.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I can make levels and tiles. I am no good at sprites though.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

As many good ideas as there are in this thread, I do not believe Ceilick plans to do it anymore, as he has a rather large lists of projects that take priority. If anyone else wants to take the helm, that would be great, otherwise this project idea may end up abandoned.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

As much as I really love the ideas behind this mod concept, I've got too much Keen stuff going on to take any active role in content generation. If people are still interested in making this happen then we need a few people who are willing to try designing tiles; tiles are the core of a mod, it can't happen without them. Those who've offered to do levels or other things need to consider this. If you don't think you can draw or design tiles, this is your chance to learn how (besides, most tile generation is just time consuming rather than difficult or requiring drawing skills). Keep in mind we'll likely be using a lot of Keen 5 tiles anyway, so a fair portion of the work going into our tileset will just be reorganization, recoloring, and editing existing graphics.

If anyone wants to adopt the whole project for themselves, have at it.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Ceilick wrote:As much as I really love the ideas behind this mod concept, I've got too much Keen stuff going on to take any active role in content generation. If people are still interested in making this happen then we need a few people who are willing to try designing tiles; tiles are the core of a mod, it can't happen without them. Those who've offered to do levels or other things need to consider this. If you don't think you can draw or design tiles, this is your chance to learn how (besides, most tile generation is just time consuming rather than difficult or requiring drawing skills). Keep in mind we'll likely be using a lot of Keen 5 tiles anyway, so a fair portion of the work going into our tileset will just be reorganization, recoloring, and editing existing graphics.

If anyone wants to adopt the whole project for themselves, have at it.
I take the Roboblue and the modded Korath police, but I'll see if I take the whole mod.