Possible Keen 6/Keen 5 mod... maybe?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Is this a terrible idea or what?

Yep!
27%
Not really.
73%

Total votes: 30

mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Possible Keen 6/Keen 5 mod... maybe?

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

Don't heckle me or anything, I'm not too hopeful, but I am thinking of making a mod of Keen 5 or of Keen 6.

It's definitely not definite, as I have no earthly (korath IIIly?) idea how to start a mod, and have no idea how to operate even the simplest modding tool. I got the idea from Ceilick (bless his soul) who said it would be a great opportunity to "get some beginners started on modding". I'd really like to make a mod, and if anyone can, please PM or something so I can start.

If I make it, it'll somewhat be a cross between Keen 5 and Keen 3. The story will be about an Omegamatic Mark II, possibly above Korath III or some other planet. Keen'll find out about it, have to go to it, destroy it, yada yada yada basically Keen 5 all over again, except it'll have more Korath III life.

I've only got one sprite sheet for it:

EDIT: Here is all earlier discussion, in one quote:
I wrote:
Ceilick wrote:So this has sparked what I think is a pretty neat mod idea that, I think, would be a good opportunity to get some 'beginners' involved in galaxy modding.
Well, yeah, if you're hinting to me as in a previous post "Nice sprite design, MMS. There's room for improvement, but you've got the skills to be modding, hint hint. ", I'm not really up to modding, as well as not seeming to understand how to mod, at all.
Ceilick wrote:The idea is something like an "omegamatic mk II" plot, which has been used before but not quite like I have in mind.

Sort of like that one mod, KeenX I think it was called? It was a Keen 1 mod based on TUIT, involving Sparky mark IIs as the gargs.
Ceilick wrote:This would be a keen 6 mod (not keen5!) but primarily using keen 5 graphics along with some new graphics (significantly reducing the amount of time it would take to produce this).

Good idea, although I'd really prefer it to be Keen 5 (a mod of, I mean)
Ceilick wrote:We'd have 'new' versions of a lot of familiar enemies from keen 5
Yeah-- possibly:

The Shikadi, but more Shikadi-- like the babies and females-- replacing Bloogs
The Shockshund Elites replacing Orbatices
Some sort of small robots replacing the Giks
Some sort of reeeally dangerous monster boss robot (Robo yellow? Robo green?) replacing the Fleexes
Ceilick wrote:(Robo Blue replacing the bip ship with some patching,
A LOT of patching. You'd need to multiply the amount of shots, both needed to kill it and how much they shoot, as well as making the shots go straight and be deady to the touch, AND getting rid of the leftover Bip, or maybe turning it into a spark or engine of some sort.
Ceilick wrote:sparky mk II replacing the nospike,

Good idea, but PLEASE make it at least looking like a Sparky. The ones in Keen X didn't really.
Ceilick wrote:4 variations of korath for the blooglet, etc).
Yeah... Korath, Koramom, Korakid, Korath Elite perhaps?
Ceilick wrote:Gameplay could take place both aboard the omegamatic mk II and on the planet Korath itself (this is where most of the new tiles would come in, I imagine).
Somewhat like a cross between Keen 3 and Keen 2, Only with Keen 5 graphics? More like Keen 5 with just more Korath III, I guess.
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Re: Possible Keen 6/Keen 5 mod... maybe?

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:I'm not really up to modding, as well as not seeming to understand how to mod, at all.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote:Don't heckle me or anything, I'm not too hopeful, but I am thinking of making a mod of Keen 5 or of Keen 6.
hypocrite :p

Korath III life? Oh boy, the shocshunds will be turned into alien docshunds and the shikadi master will be some kind of finn maccool godly korath :korath
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

make goplat an official enemy name!
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I got the idea from Ceilick

You didn't get this idea from me, you took it from me without asking.

I'll comment further in the other topic, but you should know my intention was to create a 'team' of modders to tackle this project, because modding for a beginner can intimidating and galaxy modding, given the size and number of quirks involved, is certainly not a good idea for a single individual, new to modding, to try to tackle on their own.

My intention is not to shoot down any project you have planned, but I think you're biting off more than you can chew, and I'd appreciate a "Hey ceilick, can I use your idea for my own mod?" next time :)
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Ceilick wrote:
I got the idea from Ceilick

You didn't get this idea from me, you took it from me without asking.

I'll comment further in the other topic, but you should know my intention was to create a 'team' of modders to tackle this project, because modding for a beginner can intimidating and galaxy modding, given the size and number of quirks involved, is certainly not a good idea for a single individual, new to modding, to try to tackle on their own.

My intention is not to shoot down any project you have planned, but I think you're biting off more than you can chew, and I'd appreciate a "Hey ceilick, can I use your idea for my own mod?" next time :)
I'M SORRY. :(

I'm not implying that I'm doing this on my own, and if I did, don't take me seriously. I'd reeeally like to have a team. For one thing, I don't know how to do a mod, and I'd like some other people who don't know how to do a mod to form a team (possibly with me in it), so they can do it. I'm merely posing a suggestion here....

GameBird
Vortininja

Post by GameBird »

I don't really understand the poll... If I'm in favor, which do I press?

Anyways, I'm interested in getting involved. I could help with the music, but I'm currently writing music for another mod so maybe after I've finished that I can help out with this one.
Right here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6YbNIvUFg
Soundtrack Composer for:
-- Botfloria is Out of Flowers! -- The Atroxian Realm --
-- Mystery of Isis II
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

In short, there's 4 essential steps. Start out by downloading and reading the help files for the following:

1 - Replace Graphics:
Modkeen http://files.keenmodding.org/modkeen2.zip

2 - Make Patches:
Use CKPATCH http://files.keenmodding.org/ckpatch-0.10.0.zip

3 - Make New TileInfo:
Use CK456Tli http://files.keenmodding.org/ck456tli.zip

4 - Make Levels:

Editors (take your pick):
TED5
Keen:Next
TheOmegaMatic
The Phototachyon Receiver
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

For one thing, I don't know how to do a mod, and I'd like some other people who don't know how to do a mod to form a team (possibly with me in it), so they can do it. I'm merely posing a suggestion here....
Alright, but this is a rather premature and an awkward presentation for doing that.

Nevertheless, my thoughts from the other topic:

My intention with this idea is to get several people who have a serious interest in Keen galaxy modding (more than just "hey that'd be cool!") but without the experience and know-how to make their own mods and 'teach' them, more or less, how its done. I'd be hesitant to call this a community project; interested people would have to adopt this as their personal project, even though they'd be working with others on it. Commitment and all that. For me, I'm interested in seeing it happen, but I'm more interested in getting more people into galaxy modding.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

An awesome modder once wrote:1. Make the bipship immortal (this disconnects the bip from this enemy as well)
Well, yeah, but I was thinking more like the RB was killable, but took, say, 6 or 7 shots to kill.

I was kind of thinking, that the only really anything I could do on this project is sprites/pictures/etc. I do sprites a little, although, they're not really too good. I could maybe do a sprite sheet for the Korath Police? (edit:see below) That's be kind of easy...

Here's my Korath Police sprite:

It's not very good, I'm afraid... I can get better, so please don't write me off as unspriteable...

Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I think the Korath police looks great! And still kind of cute. Don't know if I would stun him. :-)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

It's cool police korath.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

You should start with Vorticons first.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Why?

I just adore the way the police uses the firearm with his feet, btw :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Your sprites look good, and Korath would be a great place to make a mod, sufficently canonic, yet unexplored terrain.
I agree with most of Ceilicks points though.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

lol he fires a gun with his feet :korath
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass