The Second Biggest Sandwich I Ever Saw!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

What do you think of this idea so far? And after its been released, did you like it?

Good Mod/Good Idea
85%
This Lost episode should have stayed lost
4%
No opinion.
11%

Total votes: 47

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

GARGapplesauce wrote:
Nospike wrote:So, the title screen. Iunno, I think I actually preferred the old one. This one is decent too but feels a little non-keenish since it's divided.
Scarlet wrote:I like both. The left corner one reminds me of axtroxian realm, a sort of dark atmosphere.
Yea I actually agree with Nospike not because of the division necessarily but because of Scarlet's comment. I ought to actually shade the left one in more, it's not exactly the style I'm going for, the mod isn't to be that dark, as much as I like that style, but was aiming for something more in between like the mockup I had earlier in the topic, graphics from which will be tweaked and used in this version. I'll post a different version of the title screen when I get one done...

And yeah the one troublesomekeen posted is the old one.
HOLY F***ING PIECES OF COW! O_O It's very awesome! I love it!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

The old one is definitely more keenish, but that doesn't mean it's ok. Something is wrong with it. Like why would you need a fork to eat a sandwich? It needs some things to be changed (including keen himself) to break up a bit the typical Keen series title screen stereotype.

The new one is really nothing what we've seen so far, thus it's unique and cool, but I think it will fit much better into the help section. It look more like a preview actually rather than a title screen.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Garg, do check the iirc channels, there is much help for mod stuff there as of late. :)
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

wiivn wrote:The old one is definitely more keenish, but that doesn't mean it's ok. Something is wrong with it. Like why would you need a fork to eat a sandwich? It needs some things to be changed (including keen himself) to break up a bit the typical Keen series title screen stereotype.

The new one is really nothing what we've seen so far, thus it's unique and cool, but I think it will fit much better into the help section. It look more like a preview actually rather than a title screen.
How does a vacuum cleaner act as a propulsion unit for a rocket ship? Logic isn't exactly the major point of the series as far as I'm concerned, so eating a sandwich with a fork didnt seem like much of a problem, but regardless I'm not disagreeing with you either, for some reason ur criticism made me laugh, and its true as well. The screen definitely isnt as keenish and its different, and the original one is wrong in so many ways (which is why I made a new one) but I don't understand how being like a preview makes it not like a title screen. I always thought that was the function of a title screen.
szemi wrote:HOLY F***ING PIECES OF COW! O_O It's very awesome! I love it!

:lol um thanks I think. Don't get to used to it, still sounds like it should be redone though...
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The color of the dirt tiles kinda hurts my eyes, even though it looks nice. You should probably ease up on the dithering.
I agree with garg though, "fork and knife to eat everything" feels very cartoony and fits keen imo.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Or, Judging by the expression of Billy's face, this sandwich is trying to eat him and Billy is trying to defend himself with a fork. Just in case to kill it. "Back off cruel sandwich or I'll stab you with this very fork!" Or maybe he already killed this sandwich and thus that face expression.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

wiivn wrote:Or, Judging by the expression of Billy's face, this sandwich is trying to eat him and Billy is trying to defend himself with a fork. Just in case to kill it. "Back off cruel sandwich or I'll stab you with this very fork!" Or maybe he already killed this sandwich and thus that face expression.
Yeah I suppose that could work, I always just thought it was shock at the size of the sandwich... but honestly his face is the least of my problems with it... I mean how about the fact that the shadows on him are facing the wrong direction? Or that the suns have shadows? Or that he apparently has no teeth? Or that the ComputerWrist looks like crap? Or the fork being the size of his hand? If I redid that screen now I think I'd take the time to make it significantly better, I personally still like the new one but If there's really a strong feeling against it then I'll just work on the old one.
Nospike wrote:The color of the dirt tiles kinda hurts my eyes, even though it looks nice. You should probably ease up on the dithering.
I agree with garg though, "fork and knife to eat everything" feels very cartoony and fits keen imo.
Yeah the dirt tiles can be bad especially when that small, Ceilick offered some suggestions that I was going to implement this time around, he made an example of the somewhere back in the thread, look and tell me if its any better.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Or, Judging by the expression of Billy's face, this sandwich is trying to eat him and Billy is trying to defend himself with a fork. Just in case to kill it. "Back off cruel sandwich or I'll stab you with this very fork!" Or maybe he already killed this sandwich and thus that face expression.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well this sandwich doesn't look big at all :)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Haha I love the troll fingers
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Glad to see this is back in action. The bottom of the forest background just needs a lot less dithering. I think I put a corrected version of those tiles in dropbox some long time ago.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass