The Second Biggest Sandwich I Ever Saw!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

What do you think of this idea so far? And after its been released, did you like it?

Good Mod/Good Idea
85%
This Lost episode should have stayed lost
4%
No opinion.
11%

Total votes: 47

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Subscribed to your channel :p
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

I bring a fairly important bit of news- someone with experience has joined in a large capacity into this project, so perhaps it'll actually get done in a timely manner now- VikingBoyBilly has joined me in this project taking over things that i would certainly have screwed up horridly. Like backgrounds. He'll be assisting with other things as well, but with a team this project will hopefully move towards release at a much faster rate.

I'll be doing sprites, sound effects, and levels, as well as whatever else comes up, and I assure you, I've improved on all of them.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

cool beans, VBB is actually an awesome graphician.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

If you ever need a totally evil level, you know who to call!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Fleexy wrote:If you ever need a totally evil level, you know who to call!
KeenRush. :P
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

whoever made the original overlabs.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Image That would be me it seems.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

tulip wrote:Image That would be me it seems.
Elevator Access Station and The Krodacian Overlabs are both evil levels and the music made for both of them fit perfectly for both levels. But I cannot imagine an evil level for this coming mod. Maybe Garg will surprise me! :p
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

With luck :) I've come up with some more daring ideas for this time... so hopefully this'll come out to be fairly high quality especially with VBB on board.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

you should make a level with a really obscure purpose, and have a giant enemy chasing you like in those annoying crash bandicoot escape levels.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

New Inclusions: Foreground plants (me) , [amazing] Background (vbb), Forest underground background tiles (me), finished corner tiles for forest tileset (me), finished scorebox (me) - all held together nicely by the task of converting everything to keengraph (vbb).

I think this may be the first SBSIES screenshot to have all final graphics...

This was taken at the very beginning of a level im designing, will probably be the first one you play in the game, or at least its in slot 1.

This may betray a false sense of progress, its mostly to show off what we CAN now do with this stuff ready, though it's by no means done...

EDIT: Ive been home sick all day, but luckily it's allowed me to get a lot done, I've also redone the point items which i may post later, i just have to copy them into the sprite bitmaps (they're just in the foreground tileset atm). I'll post additional updates for today as edits to this post.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Looking nice, really like that background, great job on that VBB. This mod looks better with every update, glad to see progress.

A few suggestions:

The borders between flat colors and dithering could use work, thinned out so they mesh better. This is primarily in the background where the light and dark blue meet, and the dark grey and dark blue meet.

Similarly, some of the dithered parts could use some solid bits of color: the plants could use some solid green and dark grey, the underground background could use some solid purple and perhaps a bit of dark grey.

The graphic for this may not be ready, but I suggest unique background tiles for the pole hole; as it is it doesn't really look right.

Despite the trees and plant, the atmosphere is very barren of plant life; is this intentional? For some reason I previously thought the environment was to be highly vegetative.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Those trees are beautiful!!! :O :)
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

I'll put replies in this post.

@Ceilick: Ehh i don't know about vegetative, its really sort of a wasteland planet, this forest will just occupy like 3 levels in a small corner of the world. As for the tiles behind the pole hole I was just going to use those, but if you think it should be made to look different I'll certainly try it, that's why I'm showing this, to get outside opinions.

As for the background suggestions I can't really give much in the way of a response, but I suppose I would agree with your suggestions (though I'm certainly pleased with how it looks now and can offer no criticism as i have no background-making skills myself).

Bear in mind that the underground section was intentionally made to be high contrast and very dark, as it will be used mostly in the underground cave systems of the other 2 forest levels and was made to tie in with the whole ambiance, including the music. This was to contrast with the dark gray of the foreground tiles, though i could always reverse the two by making the foreground sections darker as you suggested in the past, I just was going for the darker part to exist underground and the foreground to look like soil. I'll work on the plants as well.

EDIT @Ceilick (Again): Okay thanks, I'll work on doing that, I'd thought you meant to fill in a lot of it (like half and half...) so ill get to it... this'll be better I think, let me know once I post it.

@DHeadshot: Yeah I haven't heard from vbb in a while, albeit I haven't been on much, but they do look really neat. You should see the other background he made.

EDIT @Scarlet: I've quite grown to like this tileset as a whole, I'd hoped that the screenshot would me the best possible mock-up of the main elements, just remember that there's no finished level that this is from yet, I literally finished just enough of an area to take this shot... :lol

EDIT Image
These are the items, you may want to save and enlarge them, i left them at original size here so as not to mess up the colors.
Last edited by GARGapplesauce on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:49, edited 2 times in total.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I like the screenshot. :)
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!