Mods and packs you've completed / currently playing

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

The Keen Commander wrote:I'm almost positive I did unlzexe it, yes.
Then it's likely that your Keen 3 version isn't 1.31 -- especially since you've mentioned you've had some problems with other mods too, and more or less all mods are for versions 1.31. (And I've never heard of anyone having problems running AND. It works if the setup at the other end is right.)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

When I try to start the game from play.bat it doesn't work. I can only start it from keen3.exe. I've had this problem with some other games too...not sure what it is.
I've had this error many times and I think it's because the batch file is getting corrupted in some way. I recommend trying to create a new batch file to run the mod.

To create a batch file, first you'll want to open the old batch file with notepad. Once you have it open you'll find something like:

Code: Select all

CKXPATCH patchfile.PAT 
Where X is the episode number of ckpatch being used, and 'patchfile' corresponds to .pat file name the mod came with. Open a new text document and copy whatever text you find in the batch file to your new document.

Now, go to 'file' and 'save as' and name it something like "playmod.bat" and make sure you select "all files" in the "Save as type" section.

Then try running playmod.bat through dosbox.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

@ Ceilick: I got the same error, so I'm guessing the problem might be with my Keen 3 game...I've actually been wondering about it for a while anyhow, because one of the levels is wrong. In Fort Cavort (http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/keen/images ... k3lv10.png) the yellow key is impossible to get without cheating because the block you stand on to jump for it is only one tile wide (which it isn't in the level map picture).

@ KeenRush: Where could I download version 1.31?[/quote]
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

so you have version 1.0 of Keen3, that level got changed in 1.31. Go to bipship.com if your searching for keen related files.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

If after you've updated it you find some mods still don't work, it might be memory issues- in which case you should try running it in dosbox.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

@Tulip, Ceilick, KeenRush, etc. : It works now! :D Thanks!

@Stealthy71088: I run all of my games through dosbox...that's the only way I can seem to get them to run on Windows 7.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

OK I'm glad the problem was solved, now lets get back on topic with some more lists what you guys have completed/played. I'm really curious...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

tulip wrote:OK I'm glad the problem was solved, now lets get back on topic with some more lists what you guys have completed/played. I'm really curious...
I am curious as well, that was one of the reasons I began this thread.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I've played every mod released, however, the list of those I've beaten without cheats is pretty pitiful:

Vorticons:
A Matter of Minkcraft
A New Dope
Aliens vs. Keen
Bad Dreams (I think)
Bazooka Wowbagger (I think)
Commander Bleen
Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement
Dangerous Keen in the Haunted Mansion (I think)
Grand Intellect Doomship Dilemma
Hiding from the Sky (I think)
Keen X
Keen Null
Keen Dash
Keen Y (I think)
The Last Moon
Lego Keen (I think)
Norp the Yorp: Inside Mortimer's Computer (I think)
Norp the Yorp: Diffusion (I think)
Norp the Yorp: Brain Damage (I think)
Shadowkeen 3
Shmaynoria

Galaxy:
Aliens Ate My Babysitter...Again
Birdman
Keen Asylum
Mink's Puzzlepack
Save the Quillsheep
Torgopolis
Zoltan's Revenge Demos

My own mods aren't listed here, but fun fact: I have not beaten Dead in the Desert on any difficulty :O
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

My own mods aren't listed here, but fun fact: I have not beaten Dead in the Desert on any difficulty
:O

I'm assuming this is because you haven't had time, not because it's too difficult for you, right? :P
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Definiately have had time, just haven't felt like it, because I hate playing my own levels.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Yeah, that's understandable. I think if I ever make a mod, I probably wouldn't enjoy playing it as much as have other people's mods.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

BUMP

The moderators might not appreciate me bumping up a thread that has not been posted to in over two years, but I am curious as to what mods people have played and completed, most especially since several new mods have been released since then. I will post an updated list on what I have played through and completed.

Mods that were skimmed through means I played 2-5 levels but solved none. Mods listed as complete means all available levels were solved unless otherwise stated:

Vorticon Mods
A New Dope- 9 levels complete, 264IQ, STILL cannot seem to get any farther than this, seems a little difficult for my tastes
Aliens Vs Keen- complete (3 times)
Ally's Mod 1-3- skimmed through these, was not impressed.
Aqua Keen 1- skimmed through it was not impressed
Aqua Keen 2- skimmed through it, vast improvement from last, but still not impressed
Armageddon 2: Pluto Burns- Now that it has been completed by Tulip, it is now complete
Bad Dreams- complete
Clones of Evil 1: Galaxy of M- skimmed through it, I would like to come back and give this mod a serious play one day
Clouds Unseen- 8 levels complete, serious about completing this mod
Death to the Vorticons- complete (3 times)
Death to the Vorticons 2: The Past- skimmed through it, the "long hallway" syndrome on the world map is a bit of a letdown.
Death to the Vorticons 3: Fall of the Sudkoka- complete (why I skipped pt.2 I wish I knew!) (3 times)
Decree of the Skree 1: Kidnapped Keen- complete (several times)
Decree of the Skree 2: Zapping the Zot- complete (several times)
Decree of the Skree 3: Return of the Guardians- Now complete
Extinction- Completed the game, but skipped several levels with the Shift+Tab cheat. 8 actual levels complete.
Fall Up- STILL 8 levels complete, seriously want to finish this mod
The Grand Intellect: Doomship Dilemma- complete (except the "switch" level, there was a bug where I would flip a switch and it would exit me to the worldmap, because of this I was unable to complete this level)
The Grand Intellect: Fathership Revenge- skimmed though it, this mod is not bad, but probably will not play it ever again once I complete it
The Grand Intelligence: Cybernetic Dream- 2 levels complete, this mod is not bad, but probably will not play it ever again once I complete it
The Grand Intelligence: The World is in Trouble- skimmed though it, this mod is not bad, but probably will not play it ever again once I complete it
How Bleen Saved Kwanzaa- complete
Invasion of the Yorps 1: Crash on Gobo III- skimmed through it, sorry Ceilick, was not impressed
Invasion of the Yorps 2: Planet Destruction- skimmed through it, sorry Ceilick, was not impressed
Invasion of the Yorps 3: Tribulation of the Yorps- skimmed through it, definite improvement over the other two games, but seems a little difficult for my tastes
Keen-6- cannot even beat the first level, this game is way too difficult and practically unplayable
Keen -5- Again, cannot beat any of the levels, will not ever play it
Keen 0- complete but felt it does not have replay value, was not impressed
Keen Dash- 5 levels now complete, I would like to come back and give this mod a serious play one day
Keen Null- skimmed through it, I would like to come back and give this mod a serious play one day
Keen S- skimmed through it, I enjoy the graphics and gameplay but seems a little difficult for my tastes
Keen T- 7 levels complete, probably will not replay once completed
Keen Smile- STILL 5 levels complete, too difficult for my tastes, I love the graphics and gameplay and I believe that is the reason I am so hell-bent on eventually completing this game
Keen Q- 2 levels complete, too difficult for my tastes, enjoy the graphics and gameplay, may never play again unless I can sharpen and improve my keenskills
Keen X- 11 levels now complete, plan to complete it soon and then give Keen Y a serious play. Really enjoy this mod.
Keen Y- skimmed through it, I would like to come back and give this mod a serious play one day
Keen Z- skimmed through it, little difficult for my tastes, like the graphics and gameplay, I would like to come back and give this mod a serious play one day
Keen in the Bubrick Tower- I really like this 1-level mod but cannot seem to get very far.
Keen Rescue- complete
Lego Keen- Now complete
Mr. Black's Keen 3 level Pack- complete
Norp the Yorp Series- skimmed through them might come back to them someday
Onward: Silcar 1-4- 5 levels complete on part 1, 2-3 levels complete on the other three mods, I had fully intended on playing and completing all four mods here, but keep getting sidetracked by other mods and somehow never went back to play, I would like to finish this series one day
The Adventures of the Oracle Janitor- complete
The Adventures of the Oracle Janitor 2: Mystery of the Monastery- complete
The Adventures of the Oracle Janitor 3: Space Pirate Trouble- now complete
The Perilous Pursuit- complete (several times)
Shadow Keen 1- skimmed through it, was not impressed
Shadow Keen 2- skimmed through it, was not impressed
Shadow Keen 3- complete
Shmaynoria- complete
Story Land- complete (several times)
Super Mario Brothers 1- skimmed though it
Trapped Keen- 3 levels complete, a little difficult for my tastes, but I enjoy the mod and would like to come back to it
Yorphius II- 9 levels now complete

Galaxy mods and packs
Adventures in the BWB Megarocket- skimmed through it, has potential
Aliens Ate My Babysitter... Again- easy and normal complete, 2 levels complete on hard
Birdman- complete
Ballican IV- played but was not impressed
Das Brot's first Mod- played first level but was not impressed, still using the original Keen 4 levels
Keen 1 redone- completed all available levels on easy
Lava- complete and obtained extra lives without cheating
Save the Quillship- 2 levels complete, interesting gameplay but will not return to it
Torgopolis- complete
Keen 7: The Keys of Krodacia- complete on all difficulties (On hard I never completed Cliff Hanger and load/save was used in-level on Forest Skies)
Keen 8: Dead in the Desert- complete on all difficulties
Dead in the Desert Community Levelpack- Now complete on easy and normal, soon to start hard run
Keen 9: Battle of the Brains- complete on all difficulties (load/save used on Defense Tower Surth and Altaire Station on hard and The Warpcore on normal and hard.)
Keen 9.5: The Eight Accumulators- Now complete on easy and normal, 5 levels complete on hard
Shadowkeen 4: Zoltan's Revenge- complete on easy, soon to start normal run
Charging Moose's BWB level- complete
CK Guy's Keen 5 Levelpack- complete on easy (forced to cheat on Ghost Town because the 'tap' jump required at the last blue gemholder is almost impossible to execute)
Fire Station- has promise but is seriously incomplete
Funny- complete on easy
Gridlock's DITD Level Pack- complete on easy
Gridlocks's Keen 4 levelpack- complete on easy (even Minesweeper Mines)
Keen Asylum- now complete on easy and normal, soon to start hard run
Keen 15: Hello Galaxy!- complete on easy, soon to start normal run
Keen Mark- I cannot open the Keen 4 levels, even after I unlzexe, it keeps asking me if I remembered to unlzexe! The first Keen 5 level is cool but the other two are imcomplete and unsolvable
Mink's Puzzle Pack- complete on all difficulties
Mr. Black's Keen 4 Level Pack- complete on easy, soon to start normal run
New QED- complete
Pyramid of the Allowed- complete on easy
The Rapid Pack- complete on easy and normal
Twenty To- complete (Utility Room is incomplete and One Hundred Fuses is a useless level, I had to cheat in order to get to The Lost Room.
The Unknown Pyramid- complete
Last edited by Syllypryde on Wed Dec 19, 2012 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

*Looks*

Right, my list is:

* 1 level mods: 11 done.
* Keen 1 mods: 69 done.
* Keen 2 mods: 19 done.
* Keen 3 mods: 17 done.
* Keen 4 mods: 11 done.
* Keen 5 mods: 5 done.
* Keen 6 mods: 6 done.
* Keen 7 mods: 4 done.

I don't want to be too specific, lest I take up valuable forum space.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

To be honest I haven't played very many mods. I haven't even beaten Keen 9 yet (shock! Horror!!!!)

To be honest there are quite a few mods that I'd like finish, but I never make the time. Maybe next year!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's