Commander Keen in: HAYRO! (recruits needed)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Commander Keen in: HAYRO! (recruits needed)

Post by Eros »

okay, so this is my first idea for a mod, and i call it what is in the subject line. jokes aside, my idea is a halo-inspired world! this mod will extremely likely to be a K6 mod (it let's you legal-issue fans experience another facet of AAMB), while parodying most subjects in the Halo series.

so this is what i have so far:

keen will be in a pixellated Greek armor, and have a half-broken jetpack instead of a pogo, while he has a more powerful energy-type weapon. (all the equipment is still exactly the same in functionality).

i need:
* someone to help with a monster patch, to have more than 1 replacement for 4 monsters
* someone to see if it's possible to import a modifid keen 4 monster into this mod (for later usage)
* music for levels, some inspired by halo games
* a mentor :o

plot:
keen is helping a CMS-Merch merchant ship when the Stipulates attack, keen's equipment is damaged in the impact, so he grabs some of the items, rushes foreward, and manages to escape the mothership using the BWB. before the attack, it is discovered that a evil U-shaped "planet" is able to destroy the entire universe!

the game takes place on several places, because i want this to be a 3part game.
PART 1: Keen 6; Aurora's Borealis
PART 2: Keen 4; Harbringers of Sorrow
PART 3: keen 5; Torrent of Destiny

Levels:
*Keen Crashes down on Hayro

* Level 1: Keen evolves combat at the Spire of Fall (lv 1, pre-crash landing) the Aurora is accessed by a teleporter on the ship (it would be nice to make this a 1-way teleporter, someone please help with this)
*Level 2: Keen fights back the Stipulates on Hayro
*Level 3: Keen shivers as he runs down Machina's Corridor. (unlocks the first boss)
*Level 4: Boss Battle! Keen fights the Platinum Brute (Boss)
*Level 5: Keen goes undercover to rescue Captain Passkey (another teleporter, this one goes to a Stipulate ship)
*Level 6: Keen creeps through the 454 Liable Flicker swamp
*Level 7: Keen searches for a deactivator in the Taciturn Topographer's chamber
*Level 8: Keen sneaks through the Aurora's underground to disable the inexplicable matter transporter (the sandwich level)
*Level 9: Keen explores the Stipulate crossroad gate
*Level 10: Keen breaks through the Sentry's Hive
*Level 11: Keen rummages through the junkyard (Fortress of Broken Machinery)
*Level 12: Keen goes off to secure Captain Passkey
*Level 13: Keen calls for an exterminator in The Web (Boss)
*Level 14: Keen gets challenged to a battle to the death (Boss)
*Level 15: Keen picks a fight with the Sentrys' Cerebral Matriarch (Boss)
*Level 16: Keen faces his fears and looks for a detonator in The Gullet of the Golem
*Level 17: Keen gets lost in the [secret level ninja'd!]
*Level 18: Keen recieves training in the Greek-III Project Tute Oryol! (the BwB level, can be done as many times as possible)

replacements:
sandwich: you'll all find out later...
grappling hook: fuel for a broken Banshee keen finds behind a bush
passcard: teleporter activation key
bip:
blooglet:
grabbiter: the inexplicable matter transporter (oh noes! i'd get teleported again if i cross that!)
flect: golden stipulate reflector
babobba: Stipulate Grenadier
bobba: Sentry Eradicator
bipship: Drawl Bomber
bloog: stipulate grunt
blooguard: Stipulate Brute
blorb: a juggernaut
celick: smartlaser
fleex: Stalker
gik: a vehicle?
nospike: Stipulate Elite
orbatrix: a trippy, bouncing enemy
BOSS1: Platinum-armored Brute - buffed up blooguard replacement - unlocks the banshee
BOSS2: Mithril-plated Elite - buffed up nospike replacement - unlocks the 2nd moon
BOSS3: Steel Claws of the Spider - many fleexes replacement - unlocks the activation key
BOSS4: Cerebral Matriarch - killable bobba replacement - unlocks the penultimate moon (the final level)

glowing orbs: Micro-sized black hole
flame projecters: Exhaust ports
spikes:
acid:
pounders: rock slides
electrodes: Obliterons
cannons: Greek Burst Lasers
drills:
gun: Plasma Burst Rifle
Radioactive rods:
bloogwater:
conveyor belts:

i should be able to produce at least 1/10 of the entire game by keen day 2011. (March 14th, 2011)

more data coming soon, comments and suggestions welcomed.
no rapidfire, sorry.

italicized and empty slots are places that could use suggestions, feel free to do so
Last edited by Eros on Fri Jan 28, 2011 23:28, edited 6 times in total.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Like I said, I'm game :)
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
zdude
Grunt

Post by zdude »

If it involves elements from Halo, I'm all for it. :D
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

what is trying to be accomplished by hayro is to parody halo objects, have very complex modded characters, and to give off a feel on par or even better than TUIT.

it will however, NOT be an fps, it will NOT replace too many sounds, and it might have a rapidfire patch.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I approve, but I'm a total illiterate when it comes to fps, so I can't help on the theme. I'll answers technical questions as good as I can.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

update, spartanarmor sprites ripped, some minor stuff finished.

so this is my current team:

me
Gargapplesauce
anti204 (i know him from school)

when i say recruits needed, i mean after i finish this, it will have signed titlescreens for beta/dev team, and possibly anything else humorous that the team requests for their personal copy. this shall all happen in a few months time.
StupidBunny wrote:
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

:stoopid :lol

For the record, I started this customized version gift stuff thingies... whatever. Just let it be known!!! :p
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

http://changeddaily.deviantart.com/#/d36tckx

got an image!

it's going to be cleaned up some, but this is the basic keen-hayro sprite. i will try to upload the others some other time.

and i'll try to have additional credits somewhere in the game... maybe as a second demo or just in pixellated english in the training base stage.
StupidBunny wrote:
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

nice, looks like a mega man suit. But be careful not to mix different resolutions together in one pic.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I can work on a lot of the patching, not sure about the Keen 4 thing, but may be possible depending on what you want done.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

so my initial idea was for the game to have an imported Blue Bird from k4, retaining all functions. the only change would be on me and 204's part, which would be graphics.

if it can't be done, we'll just have to change the monster that it was supposed to be in to walking versions, by replacing the fleex.

could you also see if you can have 2 replacements for 1 monster? i'm trying to experiment with boss and generic forms of monsters.

also, could you look into being able to make 1-way worldmap teleporters? (it wouldn't really make sense if you escape the spire of fall just barely, and then come back a while later)

further level and graphic updates will be placed in the first post, where it will be discovered more easily.

thanks in advance.
StupidBunny wrote:
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Hmm, the teleporter thing is possible in Keen 1 and 3, but I don't know how the teleporters work in K6 and if it is possible not to put teleporting "sprites" in the second teleporter... Anyway, I've never played Halo, but it sounds interesting and I like parodys. :D
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Seems more like just a reference than a Parody...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

30% parody, 30% reference, 40% stylishness, 100% weird.
StupidBunny wrote:
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

so my initial idea was for the game to have an imported Blue Bird from k4, retaining all functions. the only change would be on me and 204's part, which would be graphics.
This could be done in theory. The Bird's behavior is quite complex and would take some time to transfer, it would likely be a Lemm-level job since my previous attempts at doing this have shown me that there are subtle differences between engines which can make this difficult.
could you also see if you can have 2 replacements for 1 monster? i'm trying to experiment with boss and generic forms of monsters.
One monster spawns one monster, that's all there is to it. How would you put them on the maps otherwise? It is possible, though difficult, to increase the number of icons the game uses so more types of enemy can be placed, but for what you want you'd likely also need additional spawning code to give the new monsters extra health, or even new behavior code so they behave differently.

In general making things more (More complex, more kinds of something, different things) requires something be overwritten since there's only so much space to go around. Simpler changes like all the monsters in certain levels being 'boss' monsters are easier to do, depending on exactly what you want.
also, could you look into being able to make 1-way worldmap teleporters? (it wouldn't really make sense if you escape the spire of fall just barely, and then come back a while later)
Keen 6 teleporters work via tiles I believe. ALL teleporters are already one-way, they just so happen to have as a destination another teleporter. All you have to do to make a one way teleporter is to move the teleporters to anywhere but where they are by default. How much do you know about Keen 4-6s level setup, especially placing doors and bridges?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.