Commander Keen in: HAYRO! (recruits needed)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Well, at least in version 1.4 of Keen6, gems aren't saved upon finishing a level at all. It is true, though, that this stuff can probably be modified in some way with the help of patching. Two things would probably be needed to be patched:
1. Save gems after finishing a level (assuming v1.4 is used).
2. Remember the gems you've started with (after Keen dies).

Oh yeah, from what I've seen (please correct me if I'm wrong), the patches are mostly made for v1.4 of Keen 4, 5 and 6, as originally published by Apogee Software (now 3D Realms). It's true there's a v1.5 of Keen 6, but somehow it has become more common to do the job for v1.4 (maybe cause of consistency).
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

TKC has a nice idea... make the gemsaves only applicable to secret levels... i'll see what i can do

otherwise, hi ho, hi ho, it's off to scrap the idea i go!
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

oh right, currently i have a few good ideas for music for the series, so i have 3 options to place them into the game.
  • 1: i can ask either Mr. M or MOM4EVR
    2: i can make them myself (worst option)
    3: i can try to email a couple of minor internet companies asking them to help. (the title screen is a pretty good one: )http://nitrome.com/games/cavechaos/
anyone with alternative ideas please step up.
also, the gaps on the first post are undecided enemies, any suggestions would be appriciated.

finally, as seen in BOTB, ceilick splice-and-diced a couple of monsters together, and so i think i can probably patch the bobba's attack into the other enemy behaviors. anti204 is working on keenified graphics, and i hope to recieve some progress from him soon.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

well, Mr M and MOM4Evr are by no means the only composers around. I would recommend the Keen community at large as a source of music, someone might be willing to help.

If you're gonna be emailing companies, you're gonna need cash. No-one works for free, especially not for some nobody making a Keen mod.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

as stated, the first option (Mr M and M4E) are the most well-known ones.

also, most of the songs i have in mind already exist, and are ones by minor flash game companies who get much of their revenue from hosters and advertisements. only recently has Nitrome decided to go into the actual mp3-and-apps business, and i believe they might consider something of this small magnitude. the songs are $1 each, so i doubt that they'd be missing anything. [size=0]not only that, but they'd be getting advertising from this too[/size]

but that's just my biased-yet-somehow-proportionally-ignorant view on this...
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I wouldn't start trying to buy music yet. In all fairness, you have virtually nothing to show for this so far, and I think you're overestimating your ability to produce all of these Keen mods. Sadly, many of the galaxy mods on this forum have gotten abondoned due to various reasons, and it would seem kind of pointless to have purchased music if you do end up abandoning this.

Also, I'm correct in saying that this is your first mod, right? I'm not trying to insult your ability, but generally first mods tend to not be all that great. If you don't believe me, look at my old mods that I released here. https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=1827

I would start trying to cut back on your expectations a bit. I know planning ahead is fun and exciting, but you need to focus on getting more of the "real" work done on this before you start buying music.
Anti204
Grunt

Post by Anti204 »

Eros wrote:oh right, currently i have a few good ideas for music for the series, so i have 3 options to place them into the game.
  • 1: i can ask either Mr. M or MOM4EVR
    2: i can make them myself (worst option)
    3: i can try to email a couple of minor internet companies asking them to help. (the title screen is a pretty good one: )http://nitrome.com/games/cavechaos/
anyone with alternative ideas please step up.
also, the gaps on the first post are undecided enemies, any suggestions would be appriciated.

finally, as seen in BOTB, ceilick splice-and-diced a couple of monsters together, and so i think i can probably patch the bobba's attack into the other enemy behaviors. anti204 is working on keenified graphics, and i hope to recieve some progress from him soon.

I wouldn't bet on that, at least for now
OMGGGGGGGGGG Medal of Honor is soooooooooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!! can't work on Hayro :( XD
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

Gridlock wrote:I wouldn't start trying to buy music yet. In all fairness, you have virtually nothing to show for this so far, and I think you're overestimating your ability to produce all of these Keen mods. Sadly, many of the galaxy mods on this forum have gotten abondoned due to various reasons, and it would seem kind of pointless to have purchased music if you do end up abandoning this.
that's where i disagree. take for example, SBSIES. that is the first full mod that Gargapplesauce has made, and i intend to follow his example. people learn from others, and that's exactly what i plan on doing.
StupidBunny wrote:
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I agree with Eros... partially.

I believe Eros could make some very good galaxy mods. He's seems to have a lot of good ideas, which ultimately are critical to making galaxy mods. I think his mods could become very loved and popular. If he can spend enough time on them....

Keen mods in general take an enormous amount of time to make, especially Galaxy mods. Someone once estimated to me that the amount of work needed to make one galaxy mod was the equivalent to ~16 vorticon mods. While you're enthusiastic about this project now, you may find later on that doing a good job on this project, a good enough job to make it comparable to Ceilick's trilogy, may take time away from things that are more important to you. You may find after awhile that you don't want to finish these mods. If it turns out that you need to abandon working on this because its say- coming in between you and a significant other, or its distracting you from schoolwork, then what good will putting money into this mod, money that will never see fruition? Sure, you could try to speed your way through design, ripping graphics from this game and that game, but the end result will never come close to comparing with a modder who's spent years modding, and spent at least a couple years on making each mod. These three mods that you've announced will take years to complete, even with our help. And who knows where all of us will be in five years?

For now, why don't you try to build one level for the mod, draw your graphics and get patches you need for just that level squared away. Just take things level by level, and don't settle until you have each level perfect. If you need help, we'll gladly support you and help you. But it's important to understand the gravity of making these mods before you make a serious financial or time commitment.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Stealthy71088 wrote:I agree with Eros... partially.

I believe Eros could make some very good galaxy mods. He's seems to have a lot of good ideas, which ultimately are critical to making galaxy mods. I think his mods could become very loved and popular. If he can spend enough time on them....
I don't agree. This could apply to most people on the internet, IF you include that last part of course. I still have to see how Eros' works will turn out. There is a huge difference between having ideas and applying them, believe me, as I am a modder as well.
Stealthy71088 wrote:Keen mods in general take an enormous amount of time to make, especially Galaxy mods. Someone once estimated to me that the amount of work needed to make one galaxy mod was the equivalent to ~16 vorticon mods. While you're enthusiastic about this project now, you may find later on that doing a good job on this project, a good enough job to make it comparable to Ceilick's trilogy, may take time away from things that are more important to you. You may find after awhile that you don't want to finish these mods. If it turns out that you need to abandon working on this because its say- coming in between you and a significant other, or its distracting you from schoolwork, then what good will putting money into this mod, money that will never see fruition? Sure, you could try to speed your way through design, ripping graphics from this game and that game, but the end result will never come close to comparing with a modder who's spent years modding, and spent at least a couple years on making each mod. These three mods that you've announced will take years to complete, even with our help. And who knows where all of us will be in five years?

For now, why don't you try to build one level for the mod, draw your graphics and get patches you need for just that level squared away. Just take things level by level, and don't settle until you have each level perfect. If you need help, we'll gladly support you and help you. But it's important to understand the gravity of making these mods before you make a serious financial or time commitment.
The main problems with keen modding are the memory limitations and the just-plain-annoying tiles system. Those are time expensive from what I know.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Eros wrote:
Gridlock wrote:I wouldn't start trying to buy music yet. In all fairness, you have virtually nothing to show for this so far, and I think you're overestimating your ability to produce all of these Keen mods. Sadly, many of the galaxy mods on this forum have gotten abondoned due to various reasons, and it would seem kind of pointless to have purchased music if you do end up abandoning this.
that's where i disagree. take for example, SBSIES. that is the first full mod that Gargapplesauce has made, and i intend to follow his example. people learn from others, and that's exactly what i plan on doing.
IS making, lol... :lol

I think that you shouldn't go for buying music yet; really music doesn't even need to be added into the mod until the end, with mine I was just... um... overexcited :) Plus, If you really wnt to here the music changes immediately, I'm sure there are plenty of people on PCKF that could give you some!

Eventually, buying music could be an option, but like GridLock said, get some progress on it first, focus on the more important parts of the mod first... plus, and this is just my opinon, if you DO have to pay for the music- seeing as a keen mod is bound by law to be distributed freely for nonprofit purposes, it isn't really worth it. If there's music that you want you could also link someone to it and see if they could recreate it...

Still, do what ya' want.

All options, regardless, I'm excited to see how this turns out!

-GaRg

PS:
Stealthy71088 wrote:Keen mods in general take an enormous amount of time to make, especially Galaxy mods. Someone once estimated to me that the amount of work needed to make one galaxy mod was the equivalent to ~16 vorticon mods. While you're enthusiastic about this project now, you may find later on that doing a good job on this project, a good enough job to make it comparable to Ceilick's trilogy
This. Even from current experience!
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Anti204
Grunt

Post by Anti204 »

Well.......... a Hayro demo will soon be posted on Youtube sooner or later.......I hope....... :p
OMGGGGGGGGGG Medal of Honor is soooooooooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!! can't work on Hayro :( XD
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

currently we are at a minor impasse, neither one of us know how to use modkeen well (check the error messages that i got on K:M), but neither of us really want to abandon the project.

so here's my idea, we have most of the sprites and some of the tiles ready, i made a simple tutorial level as the BwB level. could someone with free time on their hands help us "assemble" the "parts"?

bad idea or no?
StupidBunny wrote:
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

why not "try" keengraph?
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

...equally strange...

i'll give it another go tomorrow, it's probably fatigue that's clouding my perception of keengraph...
StupidBunny wrote: