Atroxian Realm

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Syllypryde wrote:Two non-official Keen game tree levels I can think of off the top of my head are Blog Tree Wall in AAMBA and Sandwich Guard Outpost in The Rapid Pack....What did you think of those levels?
I don't like going off topic here, but Sandwhich Guard Outpost is completely linear, which is okay, but utilizes space poorly IMKO.

Blog Tree Wall is also pretty linear with some divergences, but does a good job of creating both large tree areas that don't require jumping around (although these are composed of non-tree platforms most of the time) and connecting areas that do require jumping. It does not succeed, however, in making it's room sized areas interesting; there is a lack of detail tiles/eye candy bits which liven up the scenery. This is hard to do, though, with the remote and barren style of the keen 6 trees.

Again, hate wandering from AR, especially on a new page like this. Hopefully these thoughts are useful to you, Gridlock.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

how many levels will be in the game?
18 levels, including 1 secret level and 1 special-use level.
Maybe if you only went up? Maybe if there were only 1 or 2 horizontal length of screen and you made it a totally vertical level with the exit at the top? Or is that even possible?
Believe it or not, I had originally planned a level like this, but I have decided against a verticial tree climbing level (in part because it would be too difficult to design graphically)
IMKO, tree levels only work when distinct zones are created (rather than just branch after branch of the same stuff), where there are sizable branches and room-sized areas to walk around on. The player should not be constantly worrying about jumping from branch to branch, worrying about dropping out of the trees altogether, or wonder where in the heck they are in respect to the ground and other tree zones. Instances of branch hopping should be isolated and linear. The level can branch into non-linearity through the room-sized areas. Worth experimenting with if you have the tiles to make it as detailed as other level locations.
This is some very good thinking. Right now I'm thinking of having a more horizontal level structure. I'd like to isolate the instances of tree hopping and maybe add some underground sections. As people have said, I kind of agree that just an open tree explotion level might not work so well. Since I'm still in the planning stage, any suggestions would still be helpful. I realize that I haven't exactly provided a lot of info, though.
Last edited by Gridlock on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:22, edited 1 time in total.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Glad to hear. Anyway sorry, but will you upload demo on youtube? I know the scrolling story is on though.
GameBird
Vortininja

Post by GameBird »

How about if you went inside the trees? If there were doors in the trunks and to progress you had to switch between the outside and the inside of the trees? Oh, and when you enter a tree, the world would be flipped, so branches on the right would go on the left, making it almost like a puzzle at the same time?
Right here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6YbNIvUFg
Soundtrack Composer for:
-- Botfloria is Out of Flowers! -- The Atroxian Realm --
-- Mystery of Isis II
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Seriously. Atroxian Realm needs to get done this year. Motivate me, make graphics, submit ideas, finish it for me, whatever you can do to help.
I'M HERE TO MOTIVATE.

But seriously. The music is the best, the graphics are the best, the story is the best, so you better be working at the mod as we speak or else I'll shove my **** up your ******'s ****** :x

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it. Keep on keenin', bro(s). :smokin
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'm working on this, I assure you. The Keen 8 pack rush drained me of my Keenish spirit, though, so I didn't really get a lot done over Christmas. I've put in at least 200 hours into Atroxian Realm; I'd be cheating myself if I didn't release it eventually. Things have overall been pretty slow on the mod lately, though. I hope progress will pick up eventually. I did make quite a lot of progress on the secret level's design, though.

I was planning to have a video of the first level released by New Years, but that obviously never happened. My effort has mostly been on finishing up that swamp background, which is taking an incredibly long time to finish. I still have 2 major backgrounds that haven't even been started, so some help on those would be greatly appreciated.

This isn't much of an update, but just know that I haven't abandoned this. I'd estimate the project is maybe 65% done. A good portion of the rest of that percent is stuff that I'm not too capable of myself, though.

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I think, too, that drawing tiles and backgrounds is harder than level designing...
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Update time. Progress has picked up again. Another level has been finished, bringing the count up to around 16 and a half levels finished. Gamebird has nearly finished another song, perhaps his best yet for the project. Ceilick has also made some progress on the sprites. I'm going to hold off on posting a video of the first level, sorry guys.

There isn't much new for me to say, but eventually I am going to have to do the Ancient Forest level mentioned in previous posts. I still haven't figured out a good way to approach this level, so please offer any reasonable ideas that come to mind. The level will need to be more horizontal than vertical, so I can't just have Keen climbing up one giant tree. Additionally, the level will use the wormouth enemy. Any enemy ideas for the wormouth are welcome. I'm thinking of making it some kind of beetle or other bug that attacks in a unique way. Let me know your ideas.

Also, this is quite a bit in advance, but I'd like to include a previews section in the help menu. I can always resort to using screenshots from mods that have already been released, but I'd prefer putting in some screenshots for upcoming mods. If you want to send me three or four pictures from a mod you are working on (doesn't have to be Galaxy), I can include them in a previews section. You don't have to send me anything anytime soon, but I thought I would throw the idea out there.

Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Good to hear that progress has picked up on Atroxian Realm. This is quite an exciting project.

An idea for this wormouth beatle: You could make it so that these creatures are in the background buzzing around their hives/flowers and when they feel that you have come to close to their dwellings they come up into the foregound and attacks you in some way or another. Just a suggestion.

I might give you a pm including a snapshot of my current mod in the near future, as soon as I can get a definite level going.

Anyway, hope we don't have to wait too much longer for this, Tom.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

for the wormouth, it depends.
mechanical? organic? nonliving?

anyway, spear-bot, some kind of porcupine, sniper bullets(?)
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
GameBird
Vortininja

Post by GameBird »

For the Ancient Forest level, why don't you split the level map into two vertical zones: the left being the outside of a massive tree and the right being the inside? The exit would be at the very top of the tree and the only way to get up there is too go in and out of the tree, climbing your way up outer branches and inner ledges?
Right here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6YbNIvUFg
Soundtrack Composer for:
-- Botfloria is Out of Flowers! -- The Atroxian Realm --
-- Mystery of Isis II
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Perhaps this might be useful for music for the forest level...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fzvi5QmOpo
...just take the words out or something, and base the music on that.

How many levels are there gonna be all total?
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Lingyan203
Grunt

Post by Lingyan203 »

How many chapters are there in this mod?
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

I'm looking forward to your mod and be glad to see a demo or video soon. Let me know if I can contribute something, best wishes!
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

How many levels are there gonna be all total?
Originally 18, but a patch that just came to my attention might allow me to add a few more levels, but they would have to be small. It probably wouldn't take me long to make a few new ones, but that isn't a priority now. Giving you guys level completion estimates actually doesn't reflect the progress of the project well. Most of the levels have taken a long time because they require a lot of unique material and designs. Not to mention I've worked on a lot of other things. Adding a few more levels wouldn't take long as long as I wouldn't have to add many more unique tiles and things.

Doing a vertical style level for the Ancient Forest would be too challenging graphically. I'm trying to find something that will work more horizontally. Some of those enemy suggestions have given me some ideas, but I'm still thinking about it.

Hagel, I would consider contributing to your project if I had more time on my hands. Right now things have been busy for me, and I just had a minor surgery so I'm not particularly keen to mod at the moment. The best thing people can contribute right now is graphics for help screen/ending pictures (16 color). I'm looking for someone with a good amount of experience in this kind of pixel part. I may have to ask one of the community's expert graphic artists.

Thank you all for your patience. Maybe if I'm lucky I can have it released by the end of this summer. Part of that will probably depend on the level of support I get from a few individuals. It'll get done eventually, though.