Atroxian Realm

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Fleexy wrote:
Here, Scarlet wrote:It's great. I like it.
In the Suburb Shenanigans thread, he wrote:I like it. It's great.
Yes. They don't contradict one another, do they?
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Hey, it’s been a while. About a month ago I was making good progress despite having minimal contact with any of my project helpers. This past month hasn’t seen much progress due to pressure in real life. But now, I’d like to get things geared up again. I’m hoping to hear from everyone involved in the project. I’d like to have it completed by the end of summer, but that will only happen if everyone (including me) can finish the work that remains. Unfortunately, I do realize that a lot of people are incredibly busy at the moment. I’ll try to be available on #Keenmodding if anyone wants to talk, or you can shoot me a pm or email me at gridlock314@yahoo.com.

My recent work has been on graphics and level revision. I’ve extended the amount of levels in the game to 20. :O About 18 ¾ of these levels are close to completion. If in the end I have to wait for my other project helpers to finish things, then I may consider adding another level or two.

So what does remain? Apart from finishing the remaining levels, most of the work involves graphics and patching. One level type still needs most of its tiles made, and several other levels have minor incomplete graphics. Most of the sprites still need to be made, especially the daunting task of animating the final boss. The images for the help section and ending also need to be made. I have one or two people in mind besides my main team that I might decide to contact asking for help.

The soundtrack is also getting close. The final boss theme, 1 or 2 minor songs, and music revisions are all that is left to do. Gamebird has done an excellent job so far.

I’m very pleased with the completed portions of the game so far and want to get this released asap. However, as this will probably be the only full mod I ever make, I will spend whatever time it takes to make it as good as possible. Since I’ve been working on this for over 2 years now, I don’t want anything subpar to get released.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Gridlock wrote:About 18 ¾ of these levels are close to completion.
Wow. Looking back at the various Galaxy mods that were left abandoned, I have to say that it's awesome you're beating the odds and actually pulling this huge project off. Congrats, Gridlock.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Update! I made a poster for the mod showing a few new pics and the list of the main people involved (although several others have also made direct or indirect contributions). The 2012 is really just an estimate, though. The completion of the project will depend on some other people.

The project is almost at the point where I can't do much more on my own. Unless I decide to add more levels, the level designs are nearly finished apart from a few small changes and additions. Several sprites are half-finished, but with two of my team members gone I can't do much more. The soundtrack is getting close with only a few tracks left to make and several to revise. The final boss still has a LOT of work left too in both the graphics and patching departments. I may have to ask one or two other people for graphics help if I have no other choice.

That being said, I can't wait to release this. The game has turned out much better than I had expected. I just hope my team members come back, as right now I'm practically on my own.

troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Beautiful! First thing I noticed was that Keen's helmet does not have any crators.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Oh man I almost forgot how much I was looking forward to this. I'm not sure I can properly articulate how excited I am.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

It looks amazing! :)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Like I said I'll play with this awesome mod :D
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Oh my, can't wait for this to be finished and released. I hope it's really as dark and grim as it seems :D
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

there should be a "play this while hopped up for more pretty colors" tagline.

because it's pretty amazing what you've turned this 1990s game into
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Yep, seeing these shots definitely makes me not regret retiring from modding. Can't wait to play this game. Hope you follow through with the release and don't let this gem stagnate.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Looks naaaiiice.

The name credits are a nice touch and look almost like a movie cast list given that I know all those names.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Looks great!
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

As usual, this project has stagnated. I'm really tired of having things in a near-finished state with minimal contact from any of my team members over the past year. I understand that people are busy with real life and other things, but it's discouraging when nobody seems to follow through with anything I need. I even have trouble just getting people to comment on my recent work. I doubt there will be any progress over the next few months since things will get super busy for me.

I'm sure someone is interested, so here's a list of everything that still needs to be done:

-- Music revisions, plus one or two songs
-- Several enemies (frames, patching, fine-tuning, etc.)
-- Level revisions based on tester feedback (which I'm not getting)
-- Images for the help screen story
-- Several images for the ending
-- Final boss patches and sprites
-- Several miscellaneous patches
-- A few other miscellaneous details

It doesn't seem like much, yet somehow I've been trying unsuccessfully for over a year to get these things done. The project is going to go dormant for a while. Perhaps with time people will finally be able to help out again.

The good news is that, despite how long this is taking, the mod is getting super big. I'm now using 22 level slots (for comparison, the original K4 had 18 slots which included the high scores level and BWB). I'd roughly estimate that it'll take about 5 1/2 hours to complete all the levels, give or take.

I want to ask you all about something. Without spoiling anything, a few parts in the game get a little... grisly. I could take what I have a lot farther and it would probably make things even better. However, I don't want to go too far since this is a keen game. Does anybody mind if things get a little darker and more mature?

Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Gridlock wrote:Does anybody mind if things get a little darker and more mature?
Howabout you do BOTH?
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!