Atroxian Realm

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I DEMAND A REFUND
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Hey everyone, with the demo released, I thought I'd give an update.

First of all, I am again looking for a composer. Gamebird did a wonderful job finishing about 95% of the music, but now that he's gone, it would really help to have someone who could compose a few more tracks as well as help me revise some IMF files that need work. Mr. M, if you are available to help with this, I would really appreciate your abilities with IMF revising.

Lemm's been doing a LOT of patching work over the past few days, and I think the coding side of the game is pretty close to being done. There's still quite a lot of sprite work to be done, though.

I will be expanding the game to use all 24 level slots, so that means I'll be able to include a couple more levels in the game. I also have quite a bit more polishing to do in some levels and with some level graphics (much as I did for the new demo). These things take time, but really improve the quality of the game.

Thanks for your patience, and please try out the demo if you haven't yet.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

At over 1 meg of graphics, 1 meg of music, and 1 meg of levels, plus 3000 lines of patches, this is arguably the most epic Keen mod ever made, easily on par with the Ruin of Roib and Keens 8 and 9.

The only weak point is the graphics, particularly the sprites and the ending artwork; however, the tiles have been drastically improved since summer, and graphical revisions are still in the works. This one is sure to please!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I fear it will take me forever to add all those patches to the keen wiki, I hope they're well annotated.

And looking over the half dozen or so projects I have a hand in (Or usually just a finger really.) we're going to see some epic mods in the next year or so, truly epic.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Only a fraction of them are suitable for general use. The rest of them (mostly the sprite patches) are so intertwined that it would be hard to make use of only one without all of the rest.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I wish that were true, but you'd be amazed what can be picked out and generalized.

Why'd you have to go and be so good?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Are there going to be any levels where you "dive into the marsh" or something like that? I think it would be cool if one of the levels had different spots where you have to go under water to get a key or points,like in Isis 2.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Happy Keen Day! :birthday Also update:

It's become something of a tradition for me to show off some cool stuff on Keen Day. I am very nearly coming up on the 4 year anniversary since I started the project. Since I don't really have anything special prepared, I've got some more screenshots to tease you.

An example of some of the improved lighting effects I've been working on

More swamp level fun.

A look at the newest level of the game I've been working on, tentatively titled Crystalcomb Hive. This is a first look at a new hornet enemy I'm working on.

Some cool new tech level pics.

Another look at the ruins levels I'm working on. That yellow acid is quite dangerous. You may notice I've shown very little of this level type. I have some very cool levels near the end of the game that I don't want to spoil. :drool
Are there going to be any levels where you "dive into the marsh" or something like that? I think it would be cool if one of the levels had different spots where you have to go under water to get a key or points,like in Isis 2.
I guess you really wanted this answered since you reposted it? :crazy

Well, unfortunately, I don't have any levels like this. If I had thought of it a long time ago, I might have. Unfortunately, I just don't have the tile space to attempt anything like this, though it would be a very cool idea. Although, I suppose I could allow the player to walk into some of the pools of water without dying.

So, you may be wondering, how is this project going? I haven't updated since Christmas, and honestly, I haven't had much time to work on it since then. I have been slowly making a dent in the remaining level designs and revisions (at 24 level slots, this is a LOT of work). I have about 2.5 more levels to finish, and several levels still that need level and graphical revisions. Sprites and artwork remained largely unfinished, and I haven't had time to coordinate with lemm on any patching over the past few months. There's plenty of work remaining.

I will try to shoot for a release by the end of summer, as I'll hopefully have the time to complete it then if me and my teammates can find the motivation. As you know, however, this project is taking a long time, in part because I'm a perfectionist. I only ask your patience. I do not intend to abandon the project; I won't let 4 years of work go to waste.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

This is beautiful!!! Those bees are amazing!!! This will be one of the defining modding events of the decade!! Take your time, I appreciate your perfectionism, especially as you consistently have results to show for it!! There's a certain crisp finesse to your art which is clearly the result of intense attention to detail coupled with sheer artistic brilliance of a kind we are privileged to have at PCKF!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

The lights are great. I've been trying to figure out a mod of my own for a while now and would you mind me stealing the idea? I'd be using similar overlays as a way of decreasing visibility and light in dark areas.

Everything else is great too, your style is unique and consistent and it's really, really impressive!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Crystalcomb looks great, I must say.
Yeah, piece of cake!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I have never seen a galaxy mod looking that unique since Torgopolis.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Have already been 4 years? ...
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Just noticed this on the ruins level:

(measurements in px, obviously)

The left side of the acid pit on the left doesn't quite fit the angles of the other things on the level. I don't know if this is intentional or not, it just jumped out at me as being a little strange, especially when compared to the other acid pit.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Fantastic pics! :)