Atroxian Realm

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

one mad mushroom is enough.

anyway, limiting your monsters to certain ecosystems messes up my idea, as you can place geysers in underwater and aboveground marshes.

if you're thinking about a skele-fish, how about a killable exploding pufferfish? (hey what's that? *ZAP* *BOOM*)

the bounder makes for a fun idea. maybe it can be enlarged, making only the top of it not dangerous, and have it be a massive elevator when you shoot it.

i love the images, and i can't wait for this to finish
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Happy Keen Day everyone! :pogo (Well, actually it's tommorrow for me) I have an update for you guys. First, I’ll start out with my Keen Day present, some new screenshots.

This may be the last time I post these kind of things, as I don’t want to spoil too much.

Current Status- Nine levels have been finished, one level is halfway done, and a few others have been started. Levellass has some patches done, but only one enemy has even partial sprites drawn (I can’t draw enemies at all). The world map has a basic layout but very little actual graphics. Only a very small amount of music is done, I still don’t have one of the main themes I’m looking for. Patches are partially done; I talked with Levellass a lot a week ago and hopefully cleared some things up. The scrolling story text has been made. The title screen and help section haven’t even been started. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction for how to do the help section?

As far as recent progress goes, things haven’t really gone the way I wanted. A few new parts have been done, but I don’t really have the time or motivation at the moment to make a lot of progress. I’m sort of in a rut right now with development. Next week is my spring break. If people step up to help, there is a potential for accomplishing a lot.

This must be getting kind of old, but help is still really needed here. I think a lot of you guys seem to assume I have every bit of this under control. The truth is, there are a lot of things I’m struggling with that are severely slowing down progress. In the spirit of Keen Day, I’m hoping some people will finally step up. I’m looking for help with drawing enemy sprites, some complex backgrounds/in level objects, music, world map graphics, and pictures for the scrolling story, help section, and title screen. Anyone who volunteers will receive specific instructions and possibly get insider information relating to their work.

I really believe (I’m not trying to brag) that this mod has the potential to be the largest and most unique galaxy mod. Why do I bother to say this? Well, unless I get more help, it may never get finished. I want to make it as good as possible, and I believe some other people are a lot more skilled at certain things and could do a higher quality job than I could. So far, only Levellass and Keenfan have volunteered, but they can’t help me with a lot of my problems. I’m not trying to come off as blaming people for not volunteering, it’s just really frustrating when I can’t do things and people perfectly capable of doing them aren’t volunteering. I can’t tell you guys how desperately I want to have AR finished and released. I’m just worried that I won’t be able to get out of these ruts. :dead

Anyway, suggestions are always welcome as well. Since this will be a pretty long mod (it takes me around 1 ½ hours to play through what I have so far), I’d like to know how difficult you guys want it to be. At the moment, the challenge focuses more on puzzles than enemies. With it so long, do you prefer a greater or lesser challenge than Battle of the Brains?

I might be a bit slow in responding to people this week. The week before spring break is always chaos. :dead2
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Very, very nice screens!

I prefer less challenge in at least half of the levels because in BOTB the game goes with save/load process thousands of times... That is unless you play a level so many times that you'll eventually learn every single detail of it.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

this is epic, but i just have a small complaint; the tubes may be a little too difficult to see into, unless that's what you're intending.

also, if you provide an enemy list, i can probably cook something up in macromediaflash -> paint.
StupidBunny wrote:
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Wow! Holy crap! From the looks of those images, this mod could very well end up being on par with Ceilick's TUIT trilogy. Keep going! I would like to volunteer for your project, but I honestly know very little about Keen modding. I started my first mod just recently and I still have plenty of things to figure out. Maybe I could do some sprites for you?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

:drool Holy crap.

And at this point, I deeply regret resigning my involvement with this project.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

from what i can see, the level types are:
  • temple/altar
    subspace highway (a la scott pilgrim)
    vine-land (get it? vikings?)
anyway, this looks like complete awesomeness and i can't wait for it to finish
StupidBunny wrote:
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Looking awesome.

Really like the tube in screenshot one and how it connects through the walls to interiors. Also really like the addition of red by the spikes; there's not a lot of color variation the realm from the looks of it, so instances of it that don't clash too much are nice. One suggestion would be to try to curve the tube's top slightly where it connect to the wall on the top left to better match the perspective.

Screenshot 2 looks nice as well; really like the starry night, and again, those steps are awesome. One suggestion is that the right facing wall of the platform doesn't really match the brick structure.

Screenshot 3: that blue/black background is awesome. Also like the use of yellow. The white is good, but I think you could mix some light grey so it blends a little better with the darker colors. Regarding the right side of the platform walls, I think if you swapped them they would match better: use the stripes on the metallic set, use the more colorful/chaotic one on the ground set.

Would like to help with some thing, may be able to approach the swamp background next week. We'll see.

Great work, keep it up :)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

EDIT
Last edited by Paramultart on Tue Mar 15, 2011 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Looking very nice, I must say!
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

wiivn wrote:Wow! Keen 10? Looks very impressive! This year is already the best in terms of mods (Keen9, Keen Xmas). And now this one. Surely a pretender. If you manage to release it this year, it would be freaking awesome.
According to somebody, there's no point to make Keen 10. :/
Yeah, piece of cake!
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

szemi wrote:
wiivn wrote:Wow! Keen 10? Looks very impressive! This year is already the best in terms of mods (Keen9, Keen Xmas). And now this one. Surely a pretender. If you manage to release it this year, it would be freaking awesome.
According to somebody, there's no point to make Keen 10. :/
We could always strive to make something so good that it might as well be Keen 10. We could also create our own canon that derives from Ceilick's TUIT trilogy without being a direct continuation of it.

Speaking of canon, where would Atroxian Realm take place on the timeline? Is it a sequel, interquel, or is it self-contained?
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

szemi wrote:According to somebody, there's no point to make Keen 10. :/
Well...I remember you saying that a lot... :P
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Not sure if you're interested, but I made these trees in about an hour.
I made these trees in about an hour.
about an hour.

O.o
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Is that quick or really slow? I don't understand your response.