Atroxian Realm

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Good gracious! This is moving so fast! *Looks with envy at her valentine's mod* I don't know how you people manage it!

If there's any patches you need I can try and complete them. I got my internet back, so I'm in a reasonable mood. (Plus I have a surprise for the community next week.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Snazzy screenshots Gridlock, especially the fantastic second one. I look forward to playing this thing.
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

Am I the only one who feels these graphics are a Cosmo reference all over?
No, you're not. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the first screenshot. Though looking through them afterward, I can see some hints of Captain Comic and a little Hocus Pocus too. Looking fantastic Gridlock, nice work!
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

This mod looks great. Just came out of freakin' nowhere, too.
Lose the remaining Keen 4 backdrops, though. (The trees and whatnot)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Lose the remaining Keen 4 backdrops, though. (The trees and whatnot)
Exactly what I plan to do if anyone can help me draw a swamp background.
Am I the only one who feels these graphics are a Cosmo reference all over?
Since I never played Cosmo, I suppose this wasn't intentional. But if it makes you like it more, then I suppose it's a good thing.

I think I need to emphasize more that unless I get more help from the community, this mod will never get finished. The main reason I posted it's existence was to request help. If you think you can help me in any of the areas in the first post, please do so. :)
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Time to get some discussion going. I have not yet thought of replacements for the mad mushroom, wormouth, and possibly arachnut. I'd like to hear some ideas. They would likely be found in either a forest environment or a ruins environment. I'm thinking the mushroom could be some kind of jumping statue or creature that jumps out of pools of acid. The arachnut may end up being patched into the bluebird; I'm not really sure yet. Any ideas would still help.

In addition, I'm not entirely sure what to do with bounders. They will be found in the swamp levels, which include the first level, so I don't want to make them too hard. I'd like to make them some kind of frog or slime creature, but I don't know how I want to alter their behavior and whether or not they should kill Keen. Suggestions are welcome.

Once again, I really need help with graphics and music.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I've always thought it would be neat to create a level that required keen to ride the bounder through an area, jumping around obstacles or whatever have you.

You could make bounder a kind of frog that you can ride through the swamp. The player could time riding it to get past mad mushrooms, or for something really epic, birds.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

The problem with this idea is that all the swamp levels have already been made. This is still a sweet idea. If someone can do the impossible and extend the amount of levels allowed in Keen Galaxy, this very well could happen. Also, the enemy from the 3rd screenshot is a bluebird replacement, and it is in fact an Atroxian.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Mad Mushroom: Could do something that sits on the ground and hops occasionally; Keen would have to hop over it at the right time. Your idea for something that hops out of a masked pool of some kind is great too.

Arachnut is pretty boring...not sure what to suggest.

Wormmouth could be patched to have some walking frames, so you could essentially have an above ground walking enemy which uses the wormmouth attack.

Stealthy's idea for the bounder is cool. it could be made to be wider, to jump through the air more slowly, and perhaps work like the bounder in Save the Quillsheep so that it can be shot to gain access to higher locations. Doesn't even have to look like a creature; could be a unique goplat design.

As far as backgrounds go, I suggest looking into some other apogee games for ideas (if ideas are what you need) like Cosmo or Monster Bash (monster bash 3 has an awesome swamp background). Wombat game tools can be used to extract them (download here: http://szevvy.com/downloads/). Not necessarily suggesting that you use ripped graphics, but they can be used as a beginning to developing your own: I used a cave background from Monster bash 2 as an outline for a Dead in the Desert background.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Does that mean you can't help? :( I took a look at that background, and sadly I don't think it fits. I'm looking for something with more plants, trees, and a little swamp water towards the bottom. Something similar in depth to the tree background that's already there. I guess I can't be too picky, but I do have an image of what I want in my head. I don't have graphic skills when it comes to large scale things like these, which is why I really hope someone can make these for me.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

It's beautiful!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I am willing to help with this project if my services are needed.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

That would be great Paramulart. I still remember your one week of modding fame with that K4 mod :) I'd be interested to know what you specificaly want to help with (backgrounds, enemy drawings, story screen drawings, other)

Keenfan has officially become a beta-tester for this. He has been giving me some great feedback so far. Levellass has also been helping with patching. Still looking for more people who can help with music and graphics. More enemy ideas would still be nice as well.
Last edited by Gridlock on Mon Feb 07, 2011 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

ooh, for arachnut, make it a crazy robotic meat grinder
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Damn, this looks nice. Can't get enough of those graphics, I may need to resort to god mode just so I can get through it all to look at them.

(My Keening skills are awful, I'm not too ashamed to say.)