Atroxian Realm

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Ceilick wrote:I think you've got it exactly right, score (and ammo, I think) should only be kept to the next checkpoint or level completion.

This system doesn't make sense with extra lives, as you said, however, extra lives shouldn't be farmable to avoid the situation where Keen spawns at checkpoint A, collects two extra lives, dies and spawns at checkpoint A, repeat. This is in part an aspect of level design, but perhaps extra lives could only spawn and be collected once during a single play of a level (and respawn if the level is exited and reentered).
This debate over extra lives by near checkpoints is actually pointless. Given that you cannot really die in the game (i.e. when you lost your lives, you begin with 5 new ones at the same level) AND that you can still save anywhere, there's really no solid reason for anyone to mine lives. Even if someone will, it will be just for the sport/fun factor and statistics.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Lives themselves I see as a holdover from the arcade cabinet era. I don't think any of my mods will use them going forward. (Though I DO have a 'deaths per level' penalty system working.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

That's a good point about farming, wiivn, and you're absolutely right that in the face of saving there just isn't any point in taking the lives/checkpoint system further in that respect.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Levellass wrote:Lives themselves I see as a holdover from the arcade cabinet era. I don't think any of my mods will use them going forward. (Though I DO have a 'deaths per level' penalty system working.)
Everything that was retro is perfect and should never be changed.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I'd totally forgotten about in-level saving. Good point.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Everything that was retro is perfect and should never be changed.
Tell THAT to the supreme court.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

So, uh, I have about 3 weeks if I want to get this mod done by the end of the summer. That's a really scary number! No guarantee it's going to happen.

Fortunately, it is getting close. In terms of coding, about 2 more enemies have to be finished, with some additional sprites/touches for other enemies. The entire final boss sequence still needs to be completed. There's still a few other small details that may need attention and one or two pesky bugs. Also, significant work still needs to be done on the sound effects, though music is practically done.

I still have to completely redo the ending and most of the artwork for it, and a few other story screens still need work. There may be a few other small details in levels that I've overlooked.

In addition to these tasks, the game will probably need a fresh round of testing considering how much has changed with the new engine. I'm sure a few things have been overlooked.

So yeah, this is going to be close. If it doesn't quite get done, I'll have a few small breaks in the fall, but any major work would have to wait until Christmas time since I'll have an extremely busy semester. I really don't want you guys to have to wait that long if I can help it.

Also, here's a slightly updated title screen:

Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I, personally (IMKO) think that the titles screen will be the weakest point of the mod. Sorry. I didn't liked it much before and I don't now. It's not my taste. I'm unsure on how to improve it too. I know that the mood of the mod is darker than regular keens, but there's still some things that are odd. I don't know whether it's the perspectives or some of the graphics. That being said, it's still unique and fits the universe and it does its purpose.

If it was for only about two enemies, then 3 weeks should have been enough.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I know that the mood of the mod is darker than regular keens, but there's still some things that are odd. I don't know whether it's the perspectives or some of the graphics.
I completely understand. It isn't perfect by any means, even though I am happy with the general tone it conveys. Perhaps one way to improve this would be to make Keen a little smaller and more "in" the environment (perhaps you'd see him actually standing the water, maybe even with a hiker pose with his foot on a rock). That being said, I just don't have the time or ability to make this look any better. If you want to try yourself (since you seem a pretty good artist), I would welcome the help.

Perhaps slightly different proportions on other things would look better as well, but it's more bother than I want to deal with myself.

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well darn, the pressure of time is a terrible thing. And I'm sure there's going to be a need for a lot of updates after release. But it will be brilliant to have it out there; the first non-patched mod, a groundbreaking development that will cause all other mods to shrink away in utter humiliation like a cold day in the boy's showers.
CMDRASM
Grunt

Post by CMDRASM »

How does one go about helping you test? IRC/email? I love the title screen funnily enough, it imparts a great sense of foreboding adventure in my mind.
Founding member of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Yorps, the RSPCY
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

How does one go about helping you test? IRC/email? I love the title screen funnily enough, it imparts a great sense of foreboding adventure in my mind.
I appreciate your offer, but I already have a few testers picked out. If I end up needing more though, I'll certainly consider the offer. Thanks for the interest!

It's coming along nicely. Got a super sweet animation sequence implemented today. It could still happen...

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I saw that. You may want to kick me out of the Atroxian folder, it seems that the project has moved far, far beyond me.[/b]
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I would be glad if it was finally done.
Yeah, piece of cake!
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

Post by GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon »

I've been wondering, since this project is now being made on a new engine... well, just what is this new engine? Is it still DOS, or will it run on Windows?

Only reason this detail is important for me is because lately I haven't had any computers I could really play Keen games on, the only device I can play on anymore is my modded PSP with homebrew dosbox.

Aside from that, this is looking amazing, getting more and more excited the more I see and hear about it. Very much looking forward to it!