attempts at the final level in Keen 9

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Nice run, Shadowmaster. There were some really nice maneuvers there, but in the end.... :mortlol
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Eros wrote:i only just beat the game a few days ago, on a school computer.

i am not in current possession of a youtube account, so i don't think i can show anyone yet.
Send it to me, I'll post it for ya.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

actually, i may have to do another run altogether, as i didn't record it on the school computer, which deletes most excess data after a log-off.

:dead
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Using the newly activated cheat codes, I started a new game on hard, activated god mode and went to all the levels to collect all the orb clusters. When I had 32 lives (31.4 rounded to the next whole number), I turned off god mode and used the warp cheat to go to Elevator Access Station, The Krodacian Overlabs, and The Warpcore and played all three levels without cheating and without in-level saving. If you thought these 3 levels were hard on normal, let me tell you, you have seen nothing yet! I lost ALL 32 lives (not to mention a few extra lives from scoring and collecting energy orbs) on EAS and TW. TKO has 2 extra lives in the level that I am able to reach before I go to the bottom to battle all the Krodacian Overlords. Because of these extra lives (again additional extra lives from scoring and energy orbs) I had accumulated 70-80 lives before I finally gave up.

In EAS, I made it to the top a few times but was killed by Cybloogs. 95% of the time, I died after getting the yellow gem and backtracking to the beginning of the level to go up to the yellow gem holder. Once I got to the open area just right of Lt. Barker, there would be not one, not two, but THREE Krodacian Overlords there. Usually there would be two of them there and the third one would teleport right where Keen starts the level. I swear it is almost (ALMOST) impossible to get past them when all 3 of them gang up on you.

In TKO, suprisingly, I was usually killed by the Bio-Gargs because I was focusing my attention too much on the the Krodacian Overlords. Half the time I made it to the switch that extends the bridge to get the red gem, but only once did I actually get the gem and make to the top. I almost made it to the very end but missed a jump to a goplat and died a stupid death. As I said, only once did I actually get the red gem. Every other time I was killed there right at the bottom, mostly by Bio-Gargs, or again, when ALL the Krodacian Overlords ganged up on me.

In the boss level I was able to dodge all the other obstacles But Mort almost always killed me early or in the middle of the level. I think I only once made it to the orb cluster in that level. I was usually killed long before that and as I said earlier, I lost ALL 32 of my lives on this level. I had to use in-level saving on the final level on easy, so if I ever make it hard, I am sure I will have to use the in-level saving then as well.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

A failed, but IMO a neat attempt of mine:

Clickety.

Yes, I slightly startled at 3:43 :o
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

everyone got the fucl scared out of them around 3:41. it seems like it's speedrun-speed.

hypercam's the thing i want if i want to record it, right?
StupidBunny wrote:
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Eros wrote:hypercam's the thing i want if i want to record it, right?
No. Hypercam is shareware and annoying, since everything outputted has a watermark. DosBox has a built in recorder (Ctrl+Alt+F5 to start and stop recording) - use that.

For Screencapture video in Windows on the other hand, download CamStudio 2.0 (Not 2.1) - this is Opensource so you don't get the watermarking (2.1 isn't so avoid that version), however, being Windows the files get big fast so don't use it for long or full-screen recordings.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

noob question: where does the video go if i use dosbox?
StupidBunny wrote:
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Eros wrote:noob question: where does the video go if i use dosbox?
Your DosBox capture folder. If you go to the DosBox group on the Start Menu, there will be a link to it labelled "Capture Folder".
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

Post by No. 1 Machop Fan »

I've only been able to go through the entire level once without saving. I was nearly able to a second time, but was hit by a gunshot from McMire at the last moment, just after opening the bridge at the end.
I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, how could you not love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.