Mystery Commander Keen Game In The Works

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Mystery Commander Keen Game In The Works

Post by Commander Keen »

I am going to try my first Commander Keen mod but its not going to be what you think. Im not going to give out any info though but I do hope that everyone will like it. I do know that I will be needing people who can do graphical works, music (Gamebird?), and sounds (Levellass?). As for level design, I can maybe do that myself but if anyone wants to try there hand in one or two, I have plenty of levels to spare. Who knows, maybe I can make this into a community project or the next big Keen game. So, what ya say? Sure beats some new E-Mail addresses..... :o
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Post by Commander Keen »

Ya know, if you really didnt want to, you could have just not posted.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Commander Keen
Vortininja

Post by Commander Keen »

OK. Lets just please keep this in topic. This was never a joke topic to begin with, OK?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Okay yeah, this mod idea may be rushed, but you don't need to make this community look worse than it is. Especially the fact you are using the NO video which is Copyright CKeen 1993->2011 is BLASPHEMY.

Now, on topic: It's always good to see new people wanting to start a mod, but one of the rules of modding in general is not to expect to get people to make the work for you. When you're going to start a mod, you need to do 90% of the work yourself. Because of this I suggest you first start with simple levelpacks so you can get used with the editor, and then try to make new graphics. I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for help, but since you have no modding experience (at least, from what I know), no one's gonna make a mod for you if you get what I mean.

Once you've praticed enough with the level editors (for galaxy I recommend Mink's TOM and for vorticons ck guy's mindbelt) and tried making actual graphics you can try to get a hand for patching and you should be ready to make a mod.

Hope this helps.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Please don't leave, I'll miss this sort of thing...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

I wasn't aware it was still 2007.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Aye Captain Keen! Good luck with the mod, but you didn't even tell us which keen will you be using.

If nothing, this topic gives a good laugh.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I agree with CKeen - when making a mod, level designing can be a real pain if you don't plan everything carefully... I'm gonna have to scrap some platforms for my mod because they can't be used in the way I want to use them. Try making some levels first, then you may start to feel it needs more modification, so you put in some sprite patches. Then you think, "why not make some new graphics?" and a mod can get pieced together just like this.
Also,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuJhGT-k ... re=related
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

To reiterate Ckeen, unless you have previous modding experience with other games or something, it's probably best to start small and familiarize yourself with keen modding, leveling, etc.

Also, getting other people to join your project will be difficult without first establishing a modding reputation. People will probably need content/product before deciding to invest their time.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

I'm starting on a Keen mod myself. Would it be okay to start on the enemies first and then practice with the level editor? I'm doing a Keen 6 mod and I only have one enemy done so far.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

(OP: Excuse my hostility, I had you confused with another user. No hard feelings)

The only wrong way to work on a mod is to not work on it at all.

All of the projects I've worked on in the past followed no strict order of operations, and usually started with me creating whatever the heck I felt inspired to create at the time.
It's the only way to work on a project without getting bored out of your skull. Of course, after you get all the fun stuff out, it takes a bit of hard work and effort to bind it all together.

If I was in a musical mood, I whipped out my keyboard and jammed a few tunes that would match the theme of whatever level I had in mind.
For graphics, I just drew the first thing that came to mind.

Shmaynoria was created entirely on this kind of impulsive spur-of-the-moment energy, and while it's pretty "far out there", at least it was completed and released, and I had one heck of a time working on it. Pure creative bliss throughout the entire development.

But yeah, like everyone else said... You can't just pitch a vague generalized idea like "hey guiz I wanna maek a mod so you all do my grunt work while I jack off and do the fun stuff lololol"
From what I understand, most users here, especially Levellass, are often too busy (lazy) to finish their own projects, let alone do grunt work for someone else.

The only way to get anything done is to learn how to do it yourself, and much, much perseverance.

I wish you luck on your mod, "Commander Keen" (honestly, is there a nickname I can call you?)
Follow your heart and stay true to your ideas and you can't go wrong. :)