Keen after TUIT: what now?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Update:
This is going to get big...

I've tried to keep equivalent timings aligned...

Edit: Update 2!
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Oh god, what have I started.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I'm off to bed, so I'll post what I have so far of the next update and leave it here:
Goodnight.
Cereal Board!
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Preston wrote:Oh god, what have I started.
I know, it's nuts!
But then again I'm to blame, 'cause I'm enjoying it! :D

Lets see now, we could use some more fuel on the fire...
DHeadshot wrote:
Scarlet wrote:If you include some mods, you may as well include all other mods.
If given a chronological reference for each mod, yes...
Well, you could include mods on whole different branches that have nothing to do with anything. Like that janitor mod, or the flying bird mod... they're technically mods too, and could go off beside the current list.

edit: Holy moley, after looking at this... yeah, this is really is going too far. :dead
Not that's a bad thing. :)
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

@Scarlet yes, it's a bad thing; he broke the page layout on my 1280x800 (laptop) screen.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Yeah, posting it as a link to an external image would be nice...
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

This even worked its way into my dreams last night...
Scarlet wrote:Well, you could include mods on whole different branches that have nothing to do with anything.
Trying to do that, but it's hard to get a time-reference for them.
Scarlet wrote:the flying bird mod...
That would be "Birdman" - read the chart.
Scarlet wrote:edit: Holy moley, after looking at this... yeah, this is really is going too far. :dead
There are tons more mods and fan-games to fit in. Want to make this a community project?
Shadow Master wrote:he broke the page layout on my 1280x800 (laptop) screen.
Same and I posted the thing!
Stupid Bunny wrote:Yeah, posting it as a link to an external image would be nice...
But then it'd lose the sense of scale! :P
Cereal Board!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I don't think we should set in stone every mod and every fangame as being part of a single storyline, just because there will be too many contradictions and it will restrict future projects to existing storylines. I don't object to considering the TUIT mods as a storyline, but I think it would be irresponsible to say that it is now the "The Universe is Toast" and there can never be any alternate versions or overlap or whatever. Because if we canonize that, then where does it stop? Star Wars canonizes everything--hell, even the goddamn Holiday Special is considered "canon"--but I don't think it serves it well to make everything official that way. That's why I like DHeadshot's chart, since it leaves room for alternate timelines and chronology and such.
I think most mods keep their stories pretty isolated without many contradictions to other mods. Usually the story is something like 'Keen is minding his own business when ALL OF A SUDDEN some bad guy\race appears and now Keen must escape\fight them\get stuff to beat them. He does this and they are defeated, but the story continues...'

If all the mods were cannon all there would be is an annoying number of fights with Mort (And, as comics have taught me,t hey could all be doombots.) Some of the mod tones are different, but they still fit together well. I personally like the idea of Keen living in a universe where the Oracle Janitor has had his own adventures, there's a (gross) planet of trolling frogs (And underwater Molly fans..) and heck, Biomenace. It adds variety and breadth to the setting and surely the one who 'dispenses galactic justice with an iron hand' would spend his time doing just that?

Most mods I figure can be stuffed in no particular order (Perhaps the order of their release dates?) between Keen 6 and TUIT, with the exception of those involving Mort which could be after TUIT.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I'm trying to get them all put in relation to the original games, darn it:

Edit: Update!
Cereal Board!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Good work DHeadshot! You might want to add "Legokeen" which happens before Keen 1 if I remember right.

Thanks for you explanation Syllypryde... I see now why it's such a big deal to many. I'm not in truth being completely serious with the idea that Tom will get the rights eventually, but I certainly hope that it will happen. I seem to differ from the majority in that I don't want the canon (whatever that is, as mentioned) to be continued by fans and don't think they should even try. No matter how skilled the work is -- and Keen 9 could definitely have been made by iD and we wouldn't see a difference (except in the individual level and graphic styles perhaps, but the quality is no lesser) -- it's just not the same. Why not? It's probably just a personal opinion, nothing more. But I don't like the idea that I or anyone should in some way be limited by other fans' works, or refer to other mods to have a credible/consistent story in a mod. Yes, yes, I know nobody is forcing me to do so. But accepting/considering some works as canon or outright official sequels will change the atmosphere eventually. Soon newbies will accuse me of not knowing Keen 7-9 as well as Keen 1-6, or refer to Lt. Barker as if he were (a good character as he is) from the early 90s like Spot or Lindsey. Everyone can canonize whatever they will but I will not be acknowledging it. :dopekeen :british :goth So my rant is pretty useless anyway. :dead

And I don't consider Keen GBC to be canon either, it's a piece of crap that has nothing to do with Keen in my opinion. Not Tom Hall approved either. :bloody
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I wondered where Lego Keen came - thanks for that!

Keen GBC is Parallel Universe Canon, like the above mods. It's also a great game - don't knock it 'til you've played it!
Cereal Board!
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Not to mention Battle of the Brains borrows some elements from Keen GBC. The HUB, Cybloog, the Shikadi Probes and the inclusion of a Shikadi world come to mind. Both games also have Mortimer himself appear as opposed to being just an implied character.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i don't see how cybloog fits into Keen GBC, nor the probe...
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

The Shikadi Probe is based on the Shikadi Sentry from Keen GBC - Ceilick himself admitted it.
Cereal Board!
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

My intuition tells me Cybloog was somewhat inspired by Robo Bloog from Keen GBC.