Keen after TUIT: what now?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Keen after TUIT: what now?

Post by Deltamatic »

Now that the Universe is Toast trilogy is up for free download, that great moment of keening we were waiting for is over. What happens in the setting? Mortimer, and therefore the series's conflict, is dead. What happens in the fan projects? The epic confrontation with Mort has been done, leaving us to retell the stories in other media (as in Mr. M's comic and Arjak's novelization), make interquels (the most popular form of in-verse mod, I believe), try to figure out what Keen would do next, or maybe make games about non-Keen characters.
tl;dr
Reread the topic name.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

oman, spoilers. Keen kills Dumblemort? :00

I really should finish BotB already, but every time I play it I find some inspiration to work on my own mod. So prolonging it = productive;

This is an interesting question. Policing smaller quarrels throughout the galaxy and thwarting 8-year-old geniuses from other species are possibilities. But they're pretty much same-old.

I'd be inclined to say that the Mort conflict is now irrelevant to mod stories. It doesn't even need to be mentioned. Much like you don't need to mention the Vorticons in the Keen:Galaxy story. Although it would be interesting to have a common background story to build up for upcoming mods.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

"What now?"

An entire Keen episode placed on Earth, as opposed to "Burginflorg IV" or "Zorgiflomp XI" and various other boring sci-fi settings.

Nobody has really done it, which is why I started the project "Where is Everybody?", which is now safe in the hands of Levellass.

The story hasn't been developed too far, but there was talk of it taking place directly after Keen 9. I'm not sure where Lass is taking it, though.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

Prequels only.

Keen is chronologically done forever.

Also, as for earth keens, there's going to be several earth levels in Ghost Ship of the Dead Ghosts, and I'm pretty sure Alpha Manhattan was going to be on Earth too.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Whelp, I've got a mod trilogy involving a mirror universe (Possibly totally reversed physics where Keen falls up and pogos off the ceiling, things implode instead of exploding...) and a threat to the multiverse.

You know, like Marvel Comics does.

The story hasn't been developed too far, but there was talk of it taking place directly after Keen 9. I'm not sure where Lass is taking it, though.
It's on Earth, affecting only his town and isn't Mortimer (Should I have Mort in it? That's the big question, he'd be a supporting character like Lt Barker.) The villain will involve a lot of used tissues.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

In all honesty, There can be a series conflict without mortimer. Everyone was pretty sure that mortimer wasn't involved with the shikadi until it turned out he was. Why can't we just have something like that, minus mortimer?

Also, we have had earth levels before by the way - Mortimer's workshop.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

'Where is Everybody' was a project from last year.
I'm not sure when that level was added to Keen 9, but it certainly predates your ghost ship thing.

"The villain will involve a lot of used tissues."

... Is the villain... PARAMULTART?!? :confused
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

He's not saying they did it first, merely that they exist, that we aren't totally devoid of them.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Now that the big threat has been dealt with, go for the more local conflicts closer to home

aka Enterprise :confused
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

PandoricaShark wrote:Prequels only.
Since a prequel to Keen 1 would be without the Pogo Stick, this fits perfectly with the recent trend for Keen Dreams mods...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

DHeadshot wrote:
PandoricaShark wrote:Prequels only.
Since a prequel to Keen 1 would be without the Pogo Stick, this fits perfectly with the recent trend for Keen Dreams mods...
And prequel where keen and mortimer are still friends fits perfectly with smallville
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

What happens in the setting? Mortimer, and therefore the series's conflict, is dead. What happens in the fan projects?
Nothing. Modders and fangame makers can keep making whatever, since TUIT isn't canon anyway. :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

hayro revival.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Keen hasn't saved the multiverse from a paradox in the space-time continuum yet, has he? ;) SPOILER: And who says Mort is dead? Clearly it was his plan all along to "escape" via one of the wormholes.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."