New Keen4 Levelpack by MrBlack

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Not enough... Missing your patch4.pat :p :bloody Just zip the whole damn Keen folder! Easiest and surest that way. Or try moving the files into a new Keen folders to see exactly which files you need to play it...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'll clean up the folder and delete any unnecessary files if you want. I can host a zip folder on dropbox as well so people won't have to bother with the RAR.

I noticed you don't have any level entrance or name texts in your patch file. If you haven't written them, I can do it myself if you give me a level list and some idea of what you want the entrance text to say. It's be a shame if you had to release your awesome pack in such an unfinished state.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
nunoperalta
Grunt

Post by nunoperalta »

Seems I can't enter in any level. I press Ctrl and Space, and nothing happens, in the map.

EDIT - I used the F10+W to go to first level, and realized that Ctrl and Space don't simply work on the game, because I can't jump and shoot.

EDIT 2 - Seems I got it fixed by changing the Buttons in the options :)
nunoperalta
Grunt

Post by nunoperalta »

Miragia is really GREAT! ah ah ah!!! You're a genius.

However (I didn't try all the levels yet), that is the only "buggy" level so far I found. It's very hard to get to enter on it (some glitch on the map, probably) and, when I reached the swimsuit, I couldn't finish the level. I had to manually do Ctrl + E and then Ctrl + I to get it.

EDIT:
Pyramid of Shadows

There is a mood there in the floor. If I stay there a bit, this error will happen:

RF_PlaceSprite: Placed an uncached sprite:519
Last edited by nunoperalta on Sun Apr 15, 2012 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

From what I've played so far it's pretty nice, and very well done!
The only important thing you might want to consider is placing a bit more ammo... Some levels seem to have none at all, but I haven't properly explored yet.
Again, very well done, I'm getting stuck into it now!

Edit: I agree! The Miragia level is exceptional! I'm surprised this same concept hasn't been used before!
Last edited by Bubbatom on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:12, edited 1 time in total.
nunoperalta
Grunt

Post by nunoperalta »

Indeed the game is very cool and well thought!

Regarding ammo, you are correct that this game needs more ammo than the normal, because there are many birds and other monsters that either don't die, or that are "hard" to kill in the first time.

But I loved the game!! :)
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Stop playing it on Hard guys :P I deliberately made ammo scarcer than usual so you can't just run around shooting everything you see all the time. Also I tried to avoid any level where you could enter, get ammo and suicide over and over.

I thought it was plenty on easy and enough on normal but maybe I'll add a little bit more if you guys really think it's taking away from the levels.

Edit: The Miragia entrance is just reversed since you start in the desert environment :P enter it while it's not visible.

Edit2: Also remember guys, you haven't finished unless you've collected every Flask and Ice Cream (1 each per level!)
Last edited by MrBlack on Sun Apr 15, 2012 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

nunoperalta wrote:Miragia is really GREAT! ah ah ah!!! You're a genious.

However (I didn't try all the levels yet), that is the only "buggy" level so far I found. It's very hard to get to enter on it (some glitch on the map, probably) and, when I reached the swimsuit, I couldn't finish the level. I had to manually do Ctrl + E and then Ctrl + I to get it......
Bubbatom wrote:Edit: I agree! The Miragia level is exceptional! I'm surprised this same concept hasn't been used before!
Bubbatom, I assume you figured this level out? I noticed at the very beginning of the level, there is a switch floating in mid-air that seems unreachable. My guess is flipping this switch will activate the wetsuit, so it can be collected. However, I have not figured out to reach it yet. I also noticed there is a second red gemholder that also seems unreachable because the spike pit in front of it is too long. Also, once I had navigated the entire level, I cannot figure out how to get back to the switch at the beginning...

...but I will!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Syllypryde wrote:
nunoperalta wrote:Miragia is really GREAT! ah ah ah!!! You're a genious.

However (I didn't try all the levels yet), that is the only "buggy" level so far I found. It's very hard to get to enter on it (some glitch on the map, probably) and, when I reached the swimsuit, I couldn't finish the level. I had to manually do Ctrl + E and then Ctrl + I to get it......
Bubbatom wrote:Edit: I agree! The Miragia level is exceptional! I'm surprised this same concept hasn't been used before!
Bubbatom, I assume you figured this level out? I noticed at the very beginning of the level, there is a switch floating in mid-air that seems unreachable. My guess is flipping this switch will activate the wetsuit, so it can be collected. However, I have not figured out to reach it yet. I also noticed there is a second red gemholder that also seems unreachable because the spike pit in front of it is too long. Also, once I had navigated the entire level, I cannot figure out how to get back to the switch at the beginning...

...but I will!
No it actually is a bug, I am experiencing it too :(

Edit: Thanks for your praise on my Miragia replacement everyone :)

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
nunoperalta
Grunt

Post by nunoperalta »

Syllypryde wrote:I noticed at the very beginning of the level, there is a switch floating in mid-air that seems unreachable.
It "is" reachable, once you go to the "Miragia world" (if we can call 2 different worlds there). That is the concept of that level, which we are calling "genius" here!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

nunoperalta wrote:
Syllypryde wrote:I noticed at the very beginning of the level, there is a switch floating in mid-air that seems unreachable.
It "is" reachable, once you go to the "Miragia world" (if we can call 2 different worlds there). That is the concept of that level, which we are calling "genius" here!
You are right. That switch is reachable in the "Miragia" world. Since the wetsuit seems to be unreachable in the "Miragia" world, I tried obtain it in the "Sand Yego" world. It did not work.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

The wetsuit is ungettable because the sprite is one tile too high. Lower the wetsuit sprite by one tile in your level editor and everything should be fine.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oh this is splendid! This will probably help me along with my mod. So far I like the smile formation of the droplets and the Mad Mushroom placements, but I'm a tad paranoid of ever entering another Stone House again. I just completed the second village. I have to rush over to Miragia and see what everyone is talking about. :)
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Gridlock wrote:I'll clean up the folder and delete any unnecessary files if you want. I can host a zip folder on dropbox as well so people won't have to bother with the RAR.

I noticed you don't have any level entrance or name texts in your patch file. If you haven't written them, I can do it myself if you give me a level list and some idea of what you want the entrance text to say. It's be a shame if you had to release your awesome pack in such an unfinished state.
Just saw this, would be awesome thank you! Level names are in the OP and you can make up some entrance texts if you want :)

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4