How do I get levelpacks to work?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Scilicet
Vortininja

How do I get levelpacks to work?

Post by Scilicet »

I downloaded the "Unknown Pyramid" levelpack. I tried to run it in DOSbox, but I got an error message saying that the version of Keen 4 wasn't recognized. I ran it under my XP system fine (as fine as that can be) until I tried to activate the cheat keys while falling. It froze, so I had to exit. I tried running it in DOSbox again, but got the error message, although I had downloaded all the possible version of episode 4 from Bipship and copied them into the folder for Unknown. I tried to run the levelpack in XP again, but a window opened briefly and then closed. I'm using version 1.4 of Keen 4.

I had a similar experience with the Keen 6 "Rapid " pack, except DosBox asked if I had remembered to UNLZEXE the executable. That option was not included with the files I downloaded as part of the levelpack. I can't run it through Windows XP either. I have version 1.5 of Keen 6.
I'd include a screenshot, but I can't figure out how to display the picture in the post.
When I run the patch files as the administrator, I get a message saying that "A temporary file need for initialization could not be created or written to."
I have DOSBox 0.74, which is the most current version.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Wow.

I haven't the faintest idea what could possibly be going wrong there, unless you really do have the wrong version of Keen (It must be 1.4) or you're not running through the Go.BAT file.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

You need to unlzexe the keen executable for which ever episode the levelpack is for. For the unknown pyramid, you can do this by dragging and dropping a keen4.exe file onto the unlzexe file provided with the levelpack (this version of unlzexe won't work with 64 bit versions of windows). Doing this succesully will change the file size of keen 4.exe from 103kb to 258kb. Once you've done this you should be able to run the levelpacks with the provided batch files (go4.bat in the case of the unknown pyramid).
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

run the .bat instead of the .exe?
nothing usefull here
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

Ah ha! Thanks, Ceilick. It did the trick for the Unknown Pyramid. I get the same message, however, with the Rapid level pack. I think it's because I have version 1.5 of Keen 6, but I'm not sure. Is there a patch to go from 1.5 to 1.4? I don't want to do an illegal download.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

remember kids, it's not illegal if the company is robbing someone else of their possessions!

if anyone can get me the link for the keen-trollface, i would be very glad
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

if anyone can get me the link for the keen-trollface, i would be very glad
No.
I think it's because I have version 1.5 of Keen 6, but I'm not sure. Is there a patch to go from 1.5 to 1.4? I don't want to do an illegal download.
Use the keen6.exe provided with Keen 8.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Eros wrote:if anyone can get me the link for the keen-trollface, i would be very glad

Always check the Emoticon Roundup Thread...

[edit]Someone changed my post so it didn't make sense!
Last edited by DHeadshot on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

I got the Keen 4 level pack to work, thanks to your help, Ceilick. I did as you directed (probably illegal still), but I got a message in Dosbox asking for the maphead. I added it and ran the program but got the introductory window which continuously read at the bottom "Loading...please wait." It never got to the "press any key" message. I don't know what else I need to add. Strangely enough, I got AAMBA to run by doing as you directed.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

Gah! I opened the folder with my CK6 files and used it as a reference to see what files I should add to my Rapid folder. I copied and pasted from DitD what I thought were the missing files. When I ran Dosbox, right before I got access to the control panel, a message popped up, and it read, "MM_GetPtr: Out of Memory!" I have no idea how what I did caused this. Does anyone have insight?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

just checked it out: for the Rapid levelpack you will need to copy both the keen6.exe and the audio.ck6. You're original audio.ck6 may work despite the version, but it may not. You can get the correct keen 6 version here:
http://www.bipship.com/collective/keen6-1.4-ega.zip
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Ceilick wrote:just checked it out: for the Rapid levelpack you will need to copy both the keen6.exe and the audio.ck6. You're original audio.ck6 may work despite the version, but it may not. You can get the correct keen 6 version here:
LOOK OUT CEILICK KeenRush is going to edit your post and then ban you
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

CK Guy wrote:
Ceilick wrote:just checked it out: for the Rapid levelpack you will need to copy both the keen6.exe and the audio.ck6. You're original audio.ck6 may work despite the version, but it may not. You can get the correct keen 6 version here:
LOOK OUT CEILICK KeenRush is going to edit your post and then ban you
Lol... okay... If Keenrush was going to ban any of us, he would have done it a long time ago!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

I copied the proper exe and the music, but DOSbox still gives me the message about the exectuable not being found. I can run it through Windows, though (with no music and slightly abnormal colors). I'm stuck on the creature question. I keep getting shown a blooguard and typing "blooguard," but the game won't accept it. I've checked my spelling, and it's correct. Has anyone else run into this?
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

just press enter. the person forgot about it.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.