Martinez McMeyer 2: The world is in trouble

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Do you want the continuation of the Grand Intelligence trilogy?

Yes, sure.
50%
No, I don't want.
50%

Total votes: 10

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

WARNING!

I gotta back to working on this mod!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Thanks for that bump szemi.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Time to update:

Demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPvgwHDdusk

Enjoy!
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Is that a Robo Red at the starting point?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

It's a good start. could turn out nicely when you add more variations.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

You mean fix the tiles?
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Very nice!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Update:

Back from the Martinez hiatus!

I've changed the worldmap tiles, now I have to work on the enemies, which won't be hard at all, because 1 is done. I'm about to release a 2nd video, which will include level previews.

Stay tuned! ;)
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

What about your "Paralell Problems" project? Shouldn't you try to finish that before starting another project?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Hagel wrote:What about your "Paralell Problems" project? Shouldn't you try to finish that before starting another project?
Parallel Problems is in progress as well, because with Levellass we will make tiles better and she will make patches as well for that, because what I made is horrible in my opinion. >_< And since it takes longer time to finish Keen 10, I finish this mod since it doesn't take SOO long time.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Like I said in your last thread, working on multiple games is just a recipe for disaster (I.E. All three go the way of the dinosaur). PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pick one and finish it before you start working on another. Most people only have a certain amount of creativity, so not only will all three games wind up being similar but they'll all be a little... sub-par, because seriously, who can pump their full energy and heart into three different INDEPENDENT, UNPAID videogames?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

As much as I disagree with this development style, It's szemi's project and he can do as he pleases. Levellass does this with her mods too, and although they also take forever it's the way she works, just as this is how szemi works.

Given that the last time I posted on this thread was as kuliwil, I have to say I'm glad this hasn't been thrown aside with age.
biffstudly wrote:who can pump their full energy and heart into three different INDEPENDENT, UNPAID videogames?
Erm... Keen 1, Keen Dreams, Keen 4. Supported by other games yes, but a huge business risk and a magnificent result.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Keening_Product wrote:
biffstudly wrote:who can pump their full energy and heart into three different INDEPENDENT, UNPAID videogames?
Erm... Keen 1, Keen Dreams, Keen 4. Supported by other games yes, but a huge business risk and a magnificent result.
But those were up for sale, and helped support the people who were making them. The only reason I say this is because it's exactly what I used to do when I was an aspiring game-maker. I'd start three different RPGs with different ideas, and after a few weeks the less-than-a-quarter finished projects would sit on my harddrive and rot. And, to paraphrase a brilliant mind "Insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results". I just don't want to see these games die off :(
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

biffstudly wrote:But those were up for sale
If you paid more than the floppy disk cost price for your copy of those games something illegal happened.

And as many other brilliant minds have said: Insanity is the root of creativity.

Anyway, back on-topic: szemi, in what ways have you changed the world map tiles?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

biffstudly wrote:Like I said in your last thread, working on multiple games is just a recipe for disaster. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pick one and finish it before you start working on another. Most people only have a certain amount of creativity, so not only will all three games wind up being similar but they'll all be a little... sub-par, because seriously, who can pump their full energy and heart into three different INDEPENDENT, UNPAID videogames?
Good gracious, man. Everybody's mind works differently. Some people need multiple projects. Some people need to work on what they're excited about. If you temporarily lose your momentum and energy for one project, no sense in forcing art. Move on. Start a new project. You'll get back to the first one eventually. Always work on the project that's most important to you. Sometimes that most important project will change. It flop-flips around, and you have to flip with it, otherwise you'll end up with uninspired results. Unleash hell. Go nuts.
It's always good for an artist to take a step back from his work to see how the whole picture is coming together. Sometimes that step back is working on a different project.
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Mon Nov 12, 2012 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!