Adventures in the BWB (megarocket)- DEMO Included!!!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Did you enjoy the Demo?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 20

GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

lemm wrote:The flying levels were neat. I hope to see more of those in the finished game. You could make them more horizontal to mitigate the poor vertical scrolling of the swimming levels.

Also what CKeen said; right now the BwB looks like a model airplane, and you need different tiles for the flying levels and the foot missions. You could try to use a different style than the cookie-cutter galaxy isometric tileset for the ship levels.

The stars look dull imo. The blue stars in major stryker / duke nukem / cosmo / etc look better than white dots.
Yeah, I'm taking all of that into consideration, like I said, Gridlock is helping me a lot with the tileset.

I plan to leave the BWB the way it looks.

There should be five levels with flying in the final game which will actually have 10-14 levels, now that grid is helping me with some other stuff... and yes, they will be much more horizontal.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Can you animate the ship some way?
I mean, we never see it flying - no precedent! You could make different coloured parts around the rear engine bits flash slightly (not too lary though - just subtle) or whatever you want!

After all, the original diving suit was animated.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
ALMN
Vortininja

Post by ALMN »

TBH i'm not a big fan of the flying, but i was also stoned when i played the demo
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

ALMN wrote:TBH i'm not a big fan of the flying, but i was also stoned when i played the demo

Is that how you form all your opinions? 8)
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

kuliwil wrote:Can you animate the ship some way?
I mean, we never see it flying - no precedent! You could make different coloured parts around the rear engine bits flash slightly (not too lary though - just subtle) or whatever you want!

After all, the original diving suit was animated.
Actually, the back of the ship, including the flames and the fuel tanks (or whatever it is that you see from the side) do animate, though admittedly not much. I'll look into doing something else, but remember I only have 2 frames to work with, and they animate rather slowly, though that can always be patched.

Anyhow, I'll at least make the current animations more noticable, maybe faster. Thanks!
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

This is exactly what you described the mod to be when it was still a "secret."

I really enjoyed the creative replacement of the wetsuit Keen with a BwB.
In the levels where you play as Keen, however, there are some platforms that seem to be tight squeezes (can't name where they are right now). But I'm sure with more testing that'll get fixed.

Keep up the work, and I (we on PCKF) hope to see a final product of this!
GARGapplesauce wrote:
Actually, the back of the ship, including the flames and the fuel tanks (or whatever it is that you see from the side) do animate, though admittedly not much. I'll look into doing something else, but remember I only have 2 frames to work with, and they animate rather slowly, though that can always be patched.

Anyhow, I'll at least make the current animations more noticable, maybe faster. Thanks!
I dont know if it's possible to do some patching, but it might be possible to patch out a few unused frames from somewhere else to be BwB 'flying' frames. I wouldn't be the one to ask...
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

_mr_m_ wrote:This is exactly what you described the mod to be when it was still a "secret."

I really enjoyed the creative replacement of the wetsuit Keen with a BwB.
In the levels where you play as Keen, however, there are some platforms that seem to be tight squeezes (can't name where they are right now). But I'm sure with more testing that'll get fixed.

Keep up the work, and I (we on PCKF) hope to see a final product of this!
GARGapplesauce wrote:

I dont know if it's possible to do some patching, but it might be possible to patch out a few unused frames from somewhere else to be BwB 'flying' frames. I wouldn't be the one to ask...
Okay, I'll ask into it. I'm useless with patches, making and figuring them out in particular- I never learned how and never plan to, but I'll see if someone will give it a shot. Thanks.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Bump (two entire forum pages) :old

For those that didn't know, I offered to assist Gargz on this project after he released the demo a few years ago. Unfortunately, the mod fell through the cracks. I did however do a little work and created 1.5 tilesets for the game. Recently I got interested in this project again and decided to play around with a few things.

I haven't seen Gargz around PCKF in ages, and I hope he doesn't mind that I'm posting this. I'd like to share these pictures with you in case this project never sees the light of day. The first two are some kind of space monastery (a homage to the fat monks from Keen 7), and the last is an incomplete look at a space station level (it would need heavy revision).

I would seriously consider picking up this project and bringing it up to higher quality standards. Before you freak out about Atroxian Realm not being done, this would be a secondary project. Since I'm mostly playing the waiting game with AR right now, it'd be fun to have a project that I could more actively work on. As long as I kept things like enemies from getting too complex, this might be an easier project.

My vision of this game would involve Keen traveling to various mini panet/level locations in an open-world Keen 4 style. The story would probably change, but I'd still have a few BWB levels. This could be a fun way to explore tons of different Keenish ideas. It might have a bit of an expanded BOTB feel to it.

What do you guys think? Do you think this project is worth picking up, or is there something else you'd rather I do (besides AR, I know :dead). Since I made all the tiles in these pictures, I could always recycle the tilesets for another project.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

The background in that second screenshot looks most excellently trippy. Continued work on this seems like it'd provide adequate material to drool over while I wait for AR to eventually materialize.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oh my goodness gracious, this really blows the pants right out the window. The artwork...it's maximo stupendo! Brilliante! It seems to have a lot of common with the artwork of AR. These tiles have got to be used somewhere for something.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I suggest that you keep the use of the background in the second screenshot to a minimum, like that vivid blue background in Keen 5 (only used for some rooms). While it's very nice, it seems to be pretty confusing, especially with a level layout like this.
Good job!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Gorgeous! The first two are especially neat and your stars are the most creative I've seen in ages!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I have to say this tileset looks superb! If you give me permission to use it and send me the tileset, I would like to vga it and use it in my game. It would look like this:

Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Yes, go right ahead :)

I like that look a lot. Too bad I can't use colors like that in Keen 4, so I have to stick with dithering.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Very classy, I demand some sort of release.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.