The Unofficial TUIT Revision Betas

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

Ceilick wrote: -Removed the 'static' screen from the end story, now includes a stock image of the BwB flying through space with "to be continued"
I think maybe you ought to make it an image of Keen's BwB rendezvousing with the Imposter Keen's BwB.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

jayo wrote:
Ceilick wrote: -Removed the 'static' screen from the end story, now includes a stock image of the BwB flying through space with "to be continued"
I think maybe you ought to make it an image of Keen's BwB rendezvousing with the Imposter Keen's BwB.
^This!
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

jayo wrote:I think maybe you ought to make it an image of Keen's BwB rendezvousing with the Imposter Keen's BwB.
Excellent idea!!!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

While playing Dead in the Desert with my sister, we had trouble with the lava falls in (I believe) the Molten Passage. We kept bouncing off the ceiling when trying to reach the platform between the falls. We made it eventually. I suppose there need to be a challenge, but I don't know if that could be modified to make it a little less of a challenge.
She thought the graphics were amazing and enjoyed "Robotic Keenery." The first stomper she encountered surprised both of us since I had not played the game in a long time. We made it past without killing or being killed. She was surprised by the anatomical antagonist; she thought she had not heard me correctly when I said there was a large bouncing nose in a certain spot on normal and hard.
As for me, playing through DitD again convinced me that it is my favorite game of the TUIT trilogy.

Edit: I noticed on the boss level, that when my sister shot the imposter Keen when it was by the ship, it levitated briefly and had a confused expression on its face. It dropped a short time later and resumed normal behavior.
Last edited by Scilicet on Wed Dec 21, 2011 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper
Vortininja

Post by Keeper »

Ah yes, when I play the different Keen games, I usually try to imagine what time of the day it is on the world map.

For DitD, I feel it is the late afternoon (15:00 - 17:00) when most creatures of Calidune are hiding from the heat or taking a nap in some dark and cool place under the surface. It is very quiet, except from the low distant humming of the Hydro Palace and the industrial facilities beneath it.

Calidune also feels somewhat lonely. I don't know why.
debiani386
Grunt

A few bugs I have found

Post by debiani386 »

Heres a few bugs I have found:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3493348/0205121628.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3493348/0205121629.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3493348/0205121629a.jpg

Sorry for the low quality images..my DOS computer doesnt seem to take graphical screenshots. Ive noticed that this seems to happen sporatically on different levels. Also, does the crater level have an exit? Ive been all up and down the level and havent seen an exit there.[/img]

Edit: This is with Keen 9 Beta 2
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Those bugs are due to a problem with the Maintenance Droid and the way it pushes Keen. I'm not sure if it can be fixed without just removing those droids.

The Crater actually has two exits :disguised
debiani386
Grunt

oops

Post by debiani386 »

Not the crater, sorry, its the altaire station I meant

Edit: OH! Yes it does, im a total retard..sorry nevermind that part
debiani386
Grunt

Post by debiani386 »

Now I do get this little "e" pop up message from time to time whenever I go to different levels of the game. It will do this sporadically on different levels. Pressing any key will return me to a dos screen with either garbled text or "Null Pointer". The system I am running this on is a 386 (clocked at 20 mhz), 12 mb ram (with emm386 and himem loaded..though it still does this w/o those running), MS-DOS 6.22 installation w/ windows 3.1 not running and no TSR's loaded.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3493348/0205122000.jpg
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

12mb RAM just isn't enough, I think - IIRC BOTB needs a little more. Props for trying to run on original hardware, but I think DOSBox is probably your best bet.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
debiani386
Grunt

Probably true

Post by debiani386 »

Actually, when I first fire up the game, it wont detect all 12 mb, only conventional memory and about 64k of extended ram (not certain why, but all versions of keen 4+ will do this..and only on this particular machine). I have another dos machine comming in with far more ram.

also, keen versions 8 and earlier work no problem and I do have different keen5e engines, all of which produce different results
debiani386
Grunt

Post by debiani386 »

Just played the game through last night and it only does that on one level..thankfully that level isnt required to complete the game. Im really betting that it is just my particular system though (IBM PS/2 model 56 SLC). We will see when my more beefier dos computer comes in
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Keen is a real mode game. It can only use conventional memory (and the first 64 KB of extended memory).
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

lemm wrote:Keen is a real mode game. It can only use conventional memory (and the first 64 KB of extended memory).
In that case, you'd be better off trying to run it on an original SCP Dos machine (if you can get it to run) - 1MB of base memory in real mode as the BIOS is on the CPU card...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
RetroKittycat
Grunt
Location: Up against your window.....watching you.......INTENTLY .........

Post by RetroKittycat »

The only bug I seem to notice in K7 is that Keen sometimes laggs when he walks/doing active stuff,
has that been fixed?