Inspired by NetKeen - Total Strife

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
MaverickUK
Grunt

Inspired by NetKeen - Total Strife

Post by MaverickUK »

Hi all

I recently found out about NetKeen and it inspired me to create a similar game myself, although using modern technologies to make it easily playable on today's computers.

I'm using Christmas as a chance to work on this, so I've only really put a few evenings work into it so far - but it's coming along very quickly! :)

I've just posted a video of how it's looking at the moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1nq9AHHXV8

I'm detailing progression of the game on my website: http://www.strifestreams.com

Once it gets to the stage I've got the multiplayer features working I'd appreciate help testing it over the internet - so anybody who'd like to help out would be most welcome.

Cheers
MaverickUK :british
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Welcome MaverickUK!!
Wow this looks to be a promising start!! Looking forward to seeing some scrolling next :P
Have you any particular vision in mind for the finished game - NetKeen clone perhaps or something totally new?! Good luck anyhow!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I had a similar idea in 2006 called Apogee Brawl, and it was basically NetKeen if it featured all other Apogee characters and was made in Game Maker and never finished.

I would still like to finish it one day.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Whoa, I had no idea you could do that with html 5. That looks awesome, especially for just a few days work.
MaverickUK
Grunt

Post by MaverickUK »

Thanks folks.

Once it's working to a decent state I'll put it all up online so everyone can tear apart the code to learn, enhance or whatever else.

To begin with I'm having the whole thing take place on one screen while I polish the mechanics of the gameplay.

Once I can be sure everything works at a decent framerate I'll add scrolling - but that is my constant concern, how advanced I can make the engine with it still running decently!

I've had some ideas about adding real-time lighting to the mix this morning, both for visual appeal but also to allow some 'dark' levels with only certain level features and blaster shots adding lighting.

Paramultart That does sound very cool, what a shame it was never finished. I'm going for something similar, as the engine allows different characters to easily to added.

I grew up with a 286 / EGA computer, so I've got many happy memories playing games from the Apogee generation.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

One thing is for sure: HTML5 is the way for cross platforming. Excellent choice. Good luck with the project.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Watch... Apple will refuse to allow HTML5 on the iPhone and iPad because it would allow free browser-based "apps" which would compete with their crappy app market, just like they did with Flash.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Hah :). I doubt it. Flash is one case, HTML5 is different. They can't be against everything forever. One of their biggest flaws is that they take themselves too serious with their copyright lawsuits and software limitations. This is already turning against them. But anyway, as of now, their current gen products support HTML5.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

wiivn wrote:They can't be against everything forever.
Absolutely. If I recall correctly Apple once said we didn't need bluetooth!

I'm kinda glad that Apple have killed off mobile Flash - ever since Adobe got it it has been the buggiest thing around.

And hi MaverickUK!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

As part of their war on Flash, Apple helped to develop HTML5... And have since tried to patent their parts of it and force everyone to pay them for it! Someone needs to take Apple aside and hit them across the face with a modem while explaining to them how that's not how the internet works...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Ah, here is Mav, possibly recognized by some PCKF members from the various Strife websites over the times!
Welcome to the PCKF forums!

Nice to see what you've got over there! It does have the potential to become fun to play. Good to see how has NetKeen inspired you.

Oh, one more thing... I guess that you've recorded PC Speaker sounds with DOSBox? If the answer is "yes", then, for the purpose of authenticity, please use the following DOSBox variant (Look for dosbox_patched4.zip; Binary and sources):
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.p ... c&start=40

It corrects the PC Speaker sounds in the various Commander Keen games and more.
Note that you might need to install the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package", in case something isn't working.

Nice to meet you here!
NY
MaverickUK
Grunt

Post by MaverickUK »

Interestingly iOS (Used on iPad, iPhone and iPod) currently has better HTML5 support than Android does :)

HTML5 is definitely the future of the internet and perhaps much of computing in general. There's a standards body working at the moment on allowing browsers access to more hardware, like printers, cameras and device gyroscope. The result being that a web application has access to the same hardware as an app.

Something to remember about app stores though is that they've got a payment system built in, meaning that authors can easily make money.

Whereas on the internet in general, authors of web app's need to use a 3rd party mechanism to charge for their work.

NY00123
Yeah that's me, of ThisStrife.com then ThatStrife.com which lead to StrifeStrips.com and now StrifeStreams.com :)

Thanks for the information and linkage in your post. I found a nice resource of Keen sounds on the web which I'm currently using. They sound like the sounds I remember from my 286 - let me know if you think they're off once I release it and we can look into improving them.

I've just updated my Tumblr with the latest on the project: http://www.strifestreams.com

Plus a video of the improved particle system in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P51rFMUP3aM

Lot's of work improving the particle system - next up I'll be adding a flexible weapons system to allow for different weapon types to be easily configured.

Currently I've only implemented Keen's blaster - next I'll be adding Boobus Bombs to test weapon projectiles that can bounce.
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

edit: :gimp
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
MaverickUK
Grunt

Post by MaverickUK »

mortimer wrote:Looking very good! I like the particle effect. Seeing all those particles flying about somehow reminds me of lemmings when you blow them all up.
Yeah it sure does :) I remember just blowing up a load of Lemmings just to enjoy the pixel particle fireworks!

Here's another update
- I've managed to get a scrolling viewport working. Which basically means the screen follows your sprite round the screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyYu9w35vvw

My main work is on rewriting the weapons systems to allows for lots of different types of weapons - including grendes (bouncy, sticky, smoke...) but I'm having a bit of trouble getting the collision detection working correctly.

That's the key with these projects to pace your work - so whenever you've got a difficult, boring, unrewarding part you can jump to a more fun piece. Otherwise it's easy to get burnt out!