Scarlet mods?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Scarlet mods?

Post by Scarlet »

I mod? Well I hope to. Not yet though.

So, there is this great old game series called Monkey Island. The first and second monkey island games really stand out. So I was wondering if it might be cool to incorporate monkey island into keen, or keen into monkey island.

There are two things that I thought would be cool.

1) Keen point and click adventure game.

2) Regular Keen game, with Monkey Island graphics.

:)

Here are some of the graphics...

Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Re: Scarlet mods?

Post by kuliwil »

Scarlet wrote:1) Keen point and click adventure game.
That is not a Keen mod.
Scarlet wrote:2) Regular Keen game, with Monkey Island graphics.
This would be cool.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

kuliwil wrote:
Scarlet wrote:1) Keen point and click adventure game.
That is not a Keen mod.
Scarlet wrote:2) Regular Keen game, with Monkey Island graphics.
This would be cool.
Hm yeah okay, I guess the first would be a keen game though. Is it a good idea?
Stay classy, Scarlet.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Scarlet wrote:Hm yeah okay, I guess the first would be a keen game though. Is it a good idea?
Fangame, yeah. I dunno - it would have to be done well. Sadly point-and-click adventure games are hard to make and are VERY easy to stuff up. In comparison to other games they are at high risk of seeming dull. BUT it's a pretty original idea - maybe make a short 'pilot' of the idea and see how it goes down?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

kuliwil wrote:
Scarlet wrote:Hm yeah okay, I guess the first would be a keen game though. Is it a good idea?
Fangame, yeah. I dunno - it would have to be done well. Sadly point-and-click adventure games are hard to make and are VERY easy to stuff up. In comparison to other games they are at high risk of seeming dull. BUT it's a pretty original idea - maybe make a short 'pilot' of the idea and see how it goes down?
I suppose a keen point and click game should be pirate themed.
I dunno how it might even look like, as there is no shooting in those. :S Meh, probably a bad idea...

Edit: Here's an idea. "Mortimor: Blows up the Pirate Bay!" XD
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I don't recommend making something like this for your first Keen mod, regardless of whether you use Vorticons or Galaxy. You may find a concept like this to be highly restrictive and difficult to reproduce well in Keen, and the complex outdoor graphics won't make things any easier. If you want the level of detail that I'm sure you do, you would almost have to mod Galaxy, which can be incredibly difficult even for experienced modders. If you are serious about modding, then starting with a small levelpack is the way to go. As for a point and click game, do whatever you want, but just don't expect it to receive a lot of attention. Sorry to shoot down your ideas; I just want you to think realistically.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I'd be willing to make a Keen point-and-click game in Game Maker if someone else wants to do the artwork and storyline for it.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Paramultart wrote:I'd be willing to make a Keen point-and-click game in Game Maker if someone else wants to do the artwork and storyline for it.
Hm yeah I might like this idea. Just for the hell of it, as it has not been done before.

Keen starts off at home or somewhere. We can rip graphics off of sam and max, maniac mansion or something, for the house. He has to get out of the house. And then he has to enter his shack in order to leave the planet and go somewhere....

Gridlock wrote:I don't recommend making something like this for your first Keen mod, regardless of whether you use Vorticons or Galaxy. You may find a concept like this to be highly restrictive and difficult to reproduce well in Keen, and the complex outdoor graphics won't make things any easier. If you want the level of detail that I'm sure you do, you would almost have to mod Galaxy, which can be incredibly difficult even for experienced modders. If you are serious about modding, then starting with a small levelpack is the way to go. As for a point and click game, do whatever you want, but just don't expect it to receive a lot of attention. Sorry to shoot down your ideas; I just want you to think realistically.
I appreciate your honesty.
Stay classy, Scarlet.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

I'd support this mod/fangame especially after you showed me Monkey Island, it would be neat.

However... don't do a galaxy mod. Please. Go with the Game Maker idea. I want to see this done, and I know that my attempt at galaxy modding is driving my F***ing insane. I don't want to wish that upon you. Albeit, making the game out of existing monkey island graphics would be significantly easier, but still.

I'd support the project in any way you'd like, short of actually... erm... helping. I've got plenty to do...

#ragequit
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

come on. game maker is garg compared to galaxy modding.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:come on. game maker is garg compared to galaxy modding.
This has nothing to do with modding. We're talking about a Loom-esque Keen game, and Game Maker is a perfectly acceptable platform to make it on. It's better than having some programmer in the community create it from scratch in C or something just to have it never get finished. *Cough* Keen64 and basically every attempt to recreate the Keen engine ever... *Cough* I don't know why you would compare this to Galaxy modding. Not even the mighty Lemm could turn the Keen engine into a point-and-click adventure game.

I'd like to get started on the project if anyone is interested.
Maybe an isometric "Mystic Towers" approach would be more appropriate, incorporating some interactive RPG elements into the point-and-click game-play.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Threepwood would disapprove.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Paramultart wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote:come on. game maker is garg compared to galaxy modding.
This has nothing to do with modding. We're talking about a Loom-esque Keen game, and Game Maker is a perfectly acceptable platform to make it on. It's better than having some programmer in the community create it from scratch in C or something just to have it never get finished. *Cough* Keen64 and basically every attempt to recreate the Keen engine ever... *Cough* I don't know why you would compare this to Galaxy modding. Not even the mighty Lemm could turn the Keen engine into a point-and-click adventure game.

I'd like to get started on the project if anyone is interested.
Maybe an isometric "Mystic Towers" approach would be more appropriate, incorporating some interactive RPG elements into the point-and-click game-play.
Lets see if anyone else would want to take part in this. :)
I'm down for it.

_mr_m_ wrote:Threepwood would disapprove.
Seepgood disagrees.
http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Comp ... id-6x2.JPG
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

^ Zach Galifinakis as a pirate.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

For adventure game, forget about game maker. Instead, use AGS Adventure Game Studio for many reasons. It's much more easier for use and it's designed mainly for adventure games. There is already MI interface implemented for it and you only need to fill the graphics and make the scripts. http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/