Keen 4 3D?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Keen 4 3D?

Post by Bubbatom »

G'day everyone. I was browsing the old keen newsletter site where I found a small paragraph about a keen 4 3d remake that just stated that many people where helping putting it together (it didnt actually specify anyone) and had a link to the old ezboard forums (which are no longer available).

But I was wondering how far this got, whether there were any screen shots (I couldn't find any) and who was involved.

Thanks.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Which issue of the newsletter was this?

I don't really recall anything like that from the time period of the old newsletter, but it wouldn't surprise me if the 'project' was nothing more than some concept art being pooled together.

The only 3d Keen 4 that went anywhere, as far as I know, is Project Shadowlands from a few years ago that seems to have been abandoned.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Here it is:
http://dosclassics.com/ckn/newsletter/issues/xmas2003/

It's under the fun fan games section: 4.4
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Before I started on my project, I looked into the current 3D Keen projects and found Keen Dreams 3D (which was released by the time I started on my stuff) and Shadowlands 3D (whose site is no longer around anymore), which I believe was meant to be a remake of Keen 4, and I'm pretty sure it was started by duke4e.

Even though the Shadowlands 3D site is no longer there, I dug up a recruit request on PlanetUnreal for support (I think the site said it was going be an Unreal mod and it had pics of the game using a standalone engine).

Here is also an old thread on the old PCKF about a 3D Keen 4 that DSL started, it looks like it was connected to Shadowlands 3D.
Last edited by Lava89 on Sun May 31, 2015 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I would love to see a 3D remake of Keen 4, but it would have to be made right.

I took a game design class for 3D game textures and am pretty good at it, so I would be willing to lend my talent to the project.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

I'd love to help with level design (making sure the levels really replicate the originals).

But I've never undertook a project that would be that big. Another thing to take into account is the cost. A lot of 3D game engines cost a couple of grand... :dead
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I have some graphics that I made in the style of Keen 4, so I will happily contribute them. They include static models of the Dopefish, Shadowlands Trees and the BWB Megarocket done in Keen 4-6 style.

I'd be also willing to contribute any other Keen graphics that I have made.
Bubbatom wrote:Another thing to take into account is the cost. A lot of 3D game engines cost a couple of grand... :dead
Not Blitz3D, it cost me $100 and while it uses real coding, its really good for beginners to the whole development thing-- because it does the rendering for you..this can be a bit limiting, but for the price and time it takes you to put something out, I'd say its worth it.

And if you think its limiting, you can always move up to BlitzMax, which allows you do more like use alternative rendering engines. It also allows you to make games on both Linux and Mac, which Blitz3D does not.

Most importantly, I'd recommend checking out the demo for Blitz3D...you can use it as long as you want. The only thing it limits is the filesize of the source file (which I never ran into prior to buyng the software) and you can't make standalone applications (but you can fully test them within the editor). The lack of a time limit allowed me to get really comfortable of how it works, so I knew it would be worth the price.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Wasn't the Doom3 engine open source now?
Or can't you make a Keen mod using an existing 3D game?

Was recently messing with the Unreal Tournament 3 level editor to make concept art for a 3D Super Meat Boy.
http://guynietoren.deviantart.com/?loggedin=1#/d4m5mu5
I'm sure there's a lot of 3D games you can convert to a side scroller. Just not sure where/what/how.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I vote Doom 3 engine, because it's made by id Software, is very similar to the Quake engine (which I am familiar with), and is the most recent open-source engine available.
It shouldn't be that hard to do, considering there is already a 3rd person patch available.

I'm sure many of you are already familiar with GtkRadiant, which is quite possibly the easiest 3D level editor I have ever used, as I was able to master it back in 2004. So yeah, I would definitely be up for level design under the condition we use the Doom 3 engine.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

guynietoren wrote:Or can't you make a Keen mod using an existing 3D game?
3D Monster Maze! :P
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Here is a mockup of the Keen 4 models that I made a while back. The lines are there to illustrate what they could look like in cel-shading.

I must admit that I took a short cut and just resized copies of the models to look like they're surrounded by a line, so its not a true representation of cel shading. They would also need to be shaded in a toon style, since these are just solid figures with a line around them.

I'm also open to tweaking the models if they were to be used for a project. So the trees could have their trunks extended (I only went as high as they were depicted in the game) and the BWB could be smoothed out and given some more detail.

Even if these models are not used, I might release them in some kind of model pack down the road.

guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Trying to see if I can learn up on how to use gtkradiant 1.5. Hopefully I can be of some use.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Lava89, those models are gorgeous. Great job.
I would up the poly-count, though. Especially if we're using the Doom 3 engine.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

I vote for reverse-engineering the SkyRoads engine to make Keen 3D. 8)
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thanks Paramultart! :)

I'm not sure if I will increase their poly count by that much. Mostly because I don't know if they will even be used (being that I won't be the full time artist for something like this) or what kind of style the project leader (whoever that may be) will be looking for.