Keen: Crisis Earth (TRAILER)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Do you want to see this mod finished?

Yes
82%
Meh
18%

Total votes: 39

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Bio menace had lots of keys and exploration just like Keen does. It is a modified keen engine, after all. It even had duke-3D like combination locks that opens up potential for interesting level designs.

The funny thing is, I complained about biomenace for having artistic choices that were too keenish, and here you're all complaining that this mod doesn't look keenish enough.

IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CUTE AND LIGHT HEARTED. It's like a mix between Keen and Doom. An alien invasion is a typical, lazy premise, granted, but I don't think what's been presented so far indicates that the invaders are ... BUM BUM BUM... vitacorp! At least I didn't understand this until one of the team members told me, and he said it in a way that it was supposed to be obvious, not a major spoiler... or is it? :confused (feel free to edit my post if it is, ceilick)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Guys, guys....such an unusual thread in such a warm and friendly forum and community.
Things are too emotional now.

IMHO the poll was redundant - stop caring about it and make your mod :)

First you make a poll if to make this project or not (showing you care much about our opinions) - based on such an early stage of the project and short trailer - and then you get pre-judged (and we indeed did that IMHO)....and then you judge us for getting answers to YOUR poll, based on the early images YOU decided to show us...why to show things if they don't represent the mod - and especially - ask us based on it if to finish the mod or not?

I think this mod deserves a chance. I love to see mods with Ceilick art :)
I think I speak for all of us (?) when I say - we don't mind less cheerful and more mature Keen...it doesn't make the mod not Keeny. Interesting to see Keen grow up.

I guess people are not used to see Keen with non-stun weapons and grenades, Rambo-style. With gibs and all. Also it's all on the ground and almost no platforms to explore vertically...Very different gameplay.
Probably that's what they've meant (?)
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I think you missed my point. I really like the fact that you are trying something different, and I like the grittier, more adult take on Keen you've come up with. I have no problem with the art style or any of the "unkeenishness" here; in fact, that's what makes this interesting and promising. Of course I realize that the demo video is a work in progress showcasing a concept of the game on earth.

I was criticizing the story concept more than anything. I've seen way too many games/shows that have an almost identical premise: battles in destroyed cities on earth after an alien invasion. I would gladly support the mod if you find some original angle to this premise, which it seems like you have. But if you ask me to judge just what you've shown in that video, then you read my reaction. If you want suggestions or ideas regarding the game as a whole, just ask.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

First of all, I don't read, watch, or play science fiction other than Keen, so unless something resembles the Star Trek/Wars fads that are constantly shoved in my face, I don't know what "cliche" looks like.

All I did for this mod was draw the tiles, write some music, had a basic idea of a setting and game-play elements, and asked Ceilick if he wanted to team up for a Keen mod that utilizes the Bio-Menace engine, not only closely resembles the Keen galaxy engine, but aside from ny00123's level-packs, has never been modded.

Storyline is seldom my territory, in that I kind of take John Carmack's approach to it. Not sure how attached Ceilick is to it, but I wouldn't be opposed to a change in storyline.

The Earth level stays, though. I put too much work into those backgrounds.

If this mod does get canned, I'll probably just recycle all my art and music for something else.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

Paramultart...due to my current inability to view the link, I have not seen anything about this mod. That said, I voted yes anyway. I don't much care what it is, I like the sound of something new and fresh. Keep plugging and finish this mod...I would love to see how it turns out.
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I suppose some further clarifications are in order:

1. Earth as at least a partial setting is what Paramultart wanted from the beginning. There are few options, story wise, for how to handle this: alien invasion/occupation, secret aliens/area 51/MIB, or no aliens until later. If there's a better scenario for aliens on earth, throw it out. While the main plot is on earth, we have a lot of "alien settings", including places where the invaders have established their own, alien looking, facilities.

2. From the get go, we wanted levels to include a heavy story element. This means the story will unfold beyond the simple intro story (draft!) and gameplay. In-game dialogue and text are intended to unfold the story. A lot of lore and interest would be developed here.

3. Concerning Keen as an adult: The team discussed Keen character considerably. There's no way in hell we want him to be a Duke Nukem/Snake Logan clone. Keen may be older, but he's still the tech whiz and defender of justice he's always been. Keen has character and we fully intend/ed to make this apparent. Even in his walking animation, I made sure that Keen runs with his gun holstered; he's not the type to have his gun out to shoot something as soon as he sees it (even if all he runs into are enemies).

4. Art style: It's been commented that it's "not keenish" and that it's "too bio menace", but really, what's going on here is both para's art style and my own, unhindered by limitations of "keenishness" or trying to mimic the at style of previous games. We're arting in a manner which appeals to us with no guidelines.

5. Gameplay: Bio menace, unlike Keen Galaxy, is much more suitable for 'run and gun' gameplay. That's just how it is. Keen has an automatic weapon and grenades, and they're damn fun to use. Additionally, the manner in which Para has designed our tiles (which are stunning and beautiful IMHO) so far makes it fairly difficult to create exploration and puzzle elements. Personally, I'm perfectly content with linear exploration in this manner. This test level is always a blast for me to run through. But there are plans to create diverging points for exploration to add some variety. Still, unlike the original Keen games, surviving and blasting your way through enemies is a much larger theme than previously seen (largely due to an Automatic weapon, grenades, and save-points).

This mod is largely Keen only in name and setting, but I feel I speak for everyone on the team when I say that Keenish gameplay is something we try to work into cracks that are there.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I'm definitely intrigued to see this finished, regardless of my reservations about potential non-Keenishness. Sometimes when you're making a work of art, you've gotta go against the grain of people's expectations, and definitely allow yourself sufficient creative freedom.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Ceilick wrote: Even in his walking animation, I made sure that Keen runs with his gun holstered
Nice touch :) Didn't notice that :)
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Work on it in secret and release it when it's finished.

Edit: This thread? This is why big game companies have marketing teams. However, it's for all intents and purposes impossible for a Keen mod to have one. Everybody should just keep in mind that a trailer is essentially moving box art.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I vote Yes, but this should be second priority after Shmaynoria 2.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
DukeNukem 2417
Grunt

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

I would definitely love to see this released. As long as Keen isn't throwing out one-liners left and right (that's my namesake's job, after all :D ), it'll probably be awesome.
What's the point of growing up if you can't be a little childish sometimes?
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

I would love to play this.
I think it looks amazing.
And Bio menace was a fun game too.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

There's 27 votes on yes for this now, this mod looks like it's got a lot of potential, please do finish it, I'd hate to see it fall... especially since it would be the first ever Bio-Menace mod (as in actual mod, not just levels.)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Either I'm being framed for sock puppeteering, or someone just really wants to see this game finished.

Let me just assure everyone that I have absolutely NO INTEREST in finishing this mod, let alone modding ever again; therefore, I'm changing the 20 votes thing to 20 legitimate posts from seasoned Keeners.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Dang, I was really looking forward to this one.

So... do the posts already here in support of this mod count?

:begging