Commander Keen 2.5D revival?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Do you want to see this project finished? Even if it takes years?

YES!!!!
92%
nah
8%

Total votes: 13

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Commander Keen 2.5D revival?

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Those of you that are long time pckf regulars may or may not remember this, but back in the Winter of 2008 I released a little demo of what I had for a ZDoom project I called Commander Keen 2.5D: The Quest for Spot's Collar. I got my start in modding with the doom engine, and back then I didn't have any experience working with vorticons/galaxy or platformers, so I thought it would be cool to make my own fps project set in the keeniverse. Well, it's been 4 years since then, and I haven't done any more work on it :'(

I'm not saying I'm hot to jump back onto it right away. Actually, I still don't feel motivated in working on it at all, since I have so many other planned projects I want to see finished. But it would also dishearten me to see all this work get abandoned and rendered useless, so since it's Mort day, I thought it would be nice to release the materials I have done.

I want to ask you guys if you like this enough to want to see it finished, and, If there are any experienced zdoom modders lurking here who are interested in it, I want to announce that I'll gladly let you take on the project and I'll help and offer guidance to see it through if I can. So, without further ado,

Commander Keen 2.5D on doomworld archive

All the graphics I made so far.
Actually, I think theres stuff in the game that's missing from that archive, like the full glooginator's animation cycle, but I may get to updating that.

And just a preview before you download that graphics folder...
Commander Keen's sprite sheet:

Note: His walk cycle is still a bit awkward. That's because he needs the addition of 2 more frames to be complete (for "lifting up" each foot before taking a step). Back then I didn't have as much experience with animation.

One of the screenshots I put on deviantart:

I even set up a crappy website.

That's about it (I think). Enjoy.

Edit: Actually, after I released that alpha, I did make a somewhat functional 'world map' level, which isn't included in there. Maybe when I get around to finding it I'll show you what it looks like.

EDIT: I found the latest working files for Keen2.5D, with the functional (though bad looking and rough around the edges) world map level. Here is Keen 2.5D, in it's current state. You start in a BWB level, there is a world map where you enter the next level, and that's it.

Walk Forward - W
Walk Backward - S
Sidestep Left - A
Sidestep Right - D
Turn around/look - mouse
Shoot - Left Click
Jump - Right Click
Run - Alt
Pogo - Shift
Use key - Space
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Fri Mar 16, 2012 14:55, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I vote yes, but it needs some serious work. Love the Keen sprites, though.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Try to make it Skulltag-supported.

First it needs a concept on how to maintain the Keen feeling and gameplay on Doom engine.
Only then - alot of artwork.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Of course YES!! Even if I'm completely disabled when it comes to 3D games, I love the graphics.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Well I'm sure having it done will make Tom Hall smile.

Taken from the Making of Doom wiki.
The horror-tech theme was not accepted unanimously. Creative director Tom Hall instead wanted to continue the Commander Keen series with a third trilogy, but the others felt that the cartoon style of the Keen games would not do justice to the new 3D engine. Conceding defeat, he instead set out to create the new game's design document – which he titled the Doom Bible, while the others were programming and creating graphics.
This could end up being a real Keen game from an alternate universe!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I have a fair amount of experience with Doom mapping, though only a little bit of it with ZDoom. I also have those graphics from my own effort at Keen-themed Doom modding sitting around somewhere but they're even older than your graphics and aren't too compatible with (read: as good as) the ones you've done.

If you/others pick up this project I'd be happy to try contributing something in terms of maps, although lately I'm having difficulty finding time for long-term fun projects in between all the non-fun stuff I have to do. :( Glad to see you haven't forgotten about this though.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I found the current working version of Keen 2.5D, and have updated the first post with a link. Keep in mind that this is an unfinished project. There are two complete levels and a world map, and once you've beaten the level after the BWB, that's it.

I'm pretty sure it supports multiplayer for co-operative play, but this is untested.

And, finally, Keen is still a dreaded 1-hit wonder. I had plans of increasing his stamina, but that hasn't been implemented. So don't get hit :mort
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass