CK Guy's Keen 5 Level Pack

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

CK Guy wrote:AHA! Well, that last one I'd forgotten about. Yes, there is no way out. IIRC, I give the player a life or two, and then force them to kill themselves on an unseen spindred.
Strangely, I had no idea there was a Spindred there. (Probably because I was in God mode at the time I found the passage!)
Now, to address the other ones in order:

In the first one you mentioned, I believe you have to jump up into a secret passage in the ceiling in the enclosed room with the hole in the floor. Climb up onto a ledge and via some strange clipping bug I'm exploiting, shoot across, and fall down into the other small room with the door.

I knew there was a open area in the ceiling above the "unreachable" door, but I had no idea there was a secret passage in the ceiling that led to that open area!
The second area you mentioned is actually where you end up when you go through the door in the first question. (I opened up my level in an editor to check that this is indeed where the door led - I don't have levels I made nearly 5 years ago entirely committed to memory!) I'm not sure if this would be accessible even with tap jump.
I completely forgot that the previous door led to the this door. Thank you for reminding me.
As for the door behind the fire helices: I'm using a strange bug/exploit/whatever that I first saw used in the 'Funny' levelpack (by one of the authors of Keen Asylum). After Keen exits a door, he is actually invincible for a few seconds. If you go through the door that's right by the usual exit, it pops you out right next to the fire helices, and you have enough time to walk through them.

I never thought about that invincibility bug. I have actually seen it before in Keen 4. I will use Border Village as an example. If you go into any of the houses, pick up the points inside and then come back out and the slug is right at the door when you exit, you will not die for the first few seconds. This also applies to other levels with doors.
In the level's current state, once you go to the outside area, you have to use that outside exit. You can, however, get to an extra little secret area by doing a down-jump right by the green wall, and going into a secret passage to the right. A further down jump brings you onto the green floor below you. There is not really any point in doing this, but it would be a good place to put a door back into the main level, so that a player could then continue to the Korath III exit if they wanted to. Good idea!
I did find that secret passage before. I believe there is 7 bag o' sugars in there. Whether you decide to put a door there or not is up to you. But if you do add the door don't tell anyone. Let us find it for ourselves! However, there is a good reason to NOT put the door there and make the player exit the level. You can make the player decide what is more important to them: getting 3 extra lives or going to the secret level.

Come to think of it, it would not matter if you put the door there anyway! It just occured to me that you have to use the Keycard to open the door that takes you to the exit just below where Keen starts the level. When you go back through that same door that is when you appear in front of the 4 Fire Helices. So since you have already used the Keycard, it is now impossible to open the door that leads to Korath III! So much for that idea!

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Okay, bump, just to say that this levelpack now has a chance of being continued. In some computer failure, I lost the intermediate files for this levelpack. I was using Instant Carma! to convert the TED5 map files into Keen-compatible ones, and for some idiotic reason, I had written IC so that its output was in a super non-standard format, that Keen recognized but TEDSETUP (and later, TPT3) could not. So I was stuck with levels that were playable but not editable. So last night I was fiddling around with some stuff, and finally managed to get them to load into TED5 and TPT3. (It involved a bit of hexediting and was slightly annoying.) Anyway ... the upshot of this is there are now two addition packages for download: a version that ted5 can read and a version that tpt3 can read. Note that both of these include JUST the level files, you'll have to take care of the other stuff (including the new graphics) if you want to load up either of these levelpacks, but that isn't too hard.

Anyway, I do plan on continuing this at some point, and since I now have versions that are editable in existing editors, making my levelpack just bumped up in priority relative to making a new editor.

First though, is to update Instant Carma! so that it outputs sane files, so we won't have problems like this again.

Just keeping you guys informed about the goings-on that are related to me and Keen.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

That's great news (especially considering this is my favorite levelpack)! Now this gives me an excuse to play through again in anticipation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Had this happen before. I have a utility for it.

It patches the level header into a Keen executable, then runs Tedsetup. I've not had any trouble with the format so far. How were you running TS?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I ran Tedsetup with the /maphead: option so that it grabbed the maphead out of a file instead of out of the executable. But I'm pretty sure there were no existing premade solutions for the problem I had - my maphead/gamemaps were not in a standard format. Anyway, I've gotten over that hurdle now, so I should be all set on continuing onto actual level editing.

Also, I announced this on IRC but not here - I have a preliminary new version of Instant Carma! that doesn't cause these problems - available here for the time being - some time soon I'll finalize this and update the relevant thread.
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

Sweet. I didn't realize you completed 9 levels already. Judging from your screenshots, it looks really good. I'm gonna try them right away. If the levels are really big as you told me, I should consider ingame saving for this one :P
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

JackDaniels wrote:I should consider ingame saving for this one :P
Oh god yes. I wouldn't even consider trying to play this thing myself without ingame saving.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

CK Guy wrote:Oh god yes. I wouldn't even consider trying to play this thing myself without ingame saving.
Image I once tried to do it without ingame saving, and I couldn't even get halfway through Port 314. Ugh, I can't even imagine doing certain sections, like that ultra-long poles-next-to-fire-spinners place in Microsoft Tech Support. That place took an insane amount of time even with ingame saving.
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

<JackDaniels> Anyone played CK guy's levelset?
<&Jerry> I played it a while ago.
<&Jerry> Couldn't get past the first level. :P
<JackDaniels> aah
<JackDaniels> same here
<JackDaniels> I don't know what to do
<&Jerry> Neither do I.
<JackDaniels> I've been walking around for fucl 15 minutes without knowing what to do

Any advice? :)
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

The bridge between Red and Green side of that level doesn't activate.
That was the problem for me at least.

Just F10 + J it up and continue on. :)
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I've noticed this problem too. It seems to be somewhat sporadic. On IRC the other day, CK Guy says he's aware of it, but has no idea what's causing it.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

matonen wrote:The bridge between Red and Green side of that level doesn't activate.
That was the problem for me at least.

Just F10 + J it up and continue on. :)
There is also a "goplat in the wrong spot" error in Not So Fast. When you flip the switch that activates the goplat that allows you to get the first keycard, this error crashes the game five seconds later. CK Guy is also aware of this bug as well.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This calls for some error correction. Is there a link for this somewhere?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

A couple of posts up, CK Guy linked versions that are editable in TPT3 and TED5.

You'd still need graphics, etc. The last released version is here - http://www.bipship.com/downloads/ck55r5.zip
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

Thanks for the advice. I didn't want to cheat myself, because I was not sure if I did everything the right way.

I like the levelset by the way, the levels are really hard so far.