Today, take a moment to appreciate KeenX!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Gridlock wrote:I have to say, I'm not much of a Vorticons person, and KeenX is one of the few Keen 1-3 mods that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Same here! The Vorticon series gets me a bit car sick after a while. But there's something about Keen X that is so...so...instantly appealing.
Just a thought. Changing the appearance of everything in mods is half the work. The last thing I'd thing I'd think to change is the appearance of Keen himself. And of course the Keen sprites are excellent, as Benvolio said. Ah, creativity bursting at the seams!
Gridlock wrote:I really hope we see more incredible Keen efforts in the years to come that we too can celebrate.
You bet you're life you'll see some! Oddsbodkins, the way this summer is going, it looks like I'll finish my mod this Christmas. I wish I could make an android dummy of my own. a levellass android.
On a different note, I was a little saddened by this mod (I still have to beat it). Why am I sad? Because Xky is a mastermind! Here I am plugging away at my Keen4 mod, whacking my brains for ideas, and then I think of something brilliant, insert it in my project -- and then I see this mod a week later and find all my brilliant ideas used already! ._. There goes my originality. What can I say? Great minds think alike? Oh well. It comforts me to think that my mod is in some small way a tribute to many other mods, including Keen X.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

It made me get really excited about modding until I realized I only really had the skills for level making
Even ckguy thinks the easiest part of modding is level design. :bloody

I will pay you with Malkovich masks to finish my OrbKeen levels.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Oh man I was going to make some orbkeen comment, about how over half a decade isn't bad for an unfinished mod, but I'm too late now.

Keen X was great, had some things I didn't particularly like (the blue blocks with the dark gray 2x2 pixels for example) and some things that were brilliant (some level designs especially).

But so little appreciation for Yorphius makes me almost sad.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

ha credit where credit is due I gave Yorphius a mention!! I've always enjoyed it, not just for its historical significance but also because its levels are really really fun, with all the cleverness of later KeenRush mods but actually completeable by me. The graphics were modified just enough to completely change the game to something new, and thus when soon afterwards Xky released episode X the standard had already been set high!!

I actually enjoyed the KeenX pattern you complained about, tulip, I can imagine how it could annoy a player but I think it actually fades pretty well into the background because the chosen EGA colours are innately harmonious. It's certainly 'something different' compared to all previous platformers' terrain, if that argument has any merit!
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

It still amazes me how neat, clean and crisp Xkykeen1 is. Even now, ten years later, it feels like a professional game, and the way the artwork was done works. It's a little hard to explain exactly, but in some mods I've played the artwork is good, but it feels off- certain parts graphically just don't feel like they fit together or belong together. But Xky managed to make everything fit perfectly. I'm really not sure how he did it but he did and it came out great.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Oh man I was going to make some orbkeen comment, about how over half a decade isn't bad for an unfinished mod, but I'm too late now.
Almost a decade*

Also I meant to mention Yorphius things. Actually I remember being quite conscious of its 10 year anniversary coming up but somehow forgot, or maybe only mentioned it on Facebook or IRC.

Anyway, I move that this topic be renamed to include Yorphius II appreciation.
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

Most of you dont know me, but Ive been here forever and pop up here and there.... while browsing through my old HD today Look what I found

Will post the whole original topic soon and I found some other legacy topics as well. good to see everyone again and the new users :)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Nicksoft, you should visit here more often. :)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/83728875/file.html

Just some of the PCKF Topics i have saved from the past, including Xky's Keen1 Mod release
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I really like that style of pixel art. If someone did comics in that style I would do terrible things to get my hands on them.

Okay, maybe not, but they'd be neat.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass