Sign of the Vool

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Really well done! Was this done in mspaint and then tested in game? Because that'd be really tiresome and tedious.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Ha, no, nothing has been imported. Drawn in MSpaint, tested in windows photo viewer :P I find that saving individual frames resized x2 and cycling through them in windows photo viewer to be extremely useful for animating; I can manually control the animation speed and focus on teh transition between two particular frames if need be. When I'm feeling fancy I'll 'test' it further by making a gif.

Thanks for pointing that out, Doomjedi, I'm noticing a few other stray pixels now as well. I'd also like to get the face tendrils out of sync to make this guy look a bit crazier.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Those really are awesome graphics! I think the ultimate Keen Modding team would have Ceilick on graphics, Levellass on patches, Szemi on the story and Paramultart on level-design.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

With Levellass we're working on Keen Meets the Meats.
Yeah, piece of cake!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

szemi wrote:With Levellass we're working on Keen Meets the Meats.
Yeah...with Doomjedi...who seems to be in noone's dream team...but is a nice fella too :o
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Good to hear about such great progress. This fellow is cool. The spinning tentacle is a nice detail.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

More animating, my avatar is the new idle animation which will replace Keen reading a book. The reason for replacing this is that this new animation requires slightly less animation frames (5 frames) than book reading (9 frames). These extra frames, as well as other frames I'm booking up from altering a few 'typical' items, will be going toward enemies and in particular unique death animations.

Thought I'd take a moment to outline a few things that will be unique to SotV as compared to the original Keen Galaxy and uTUIT:

I'm almost certain the player will have infinite lives and cannot gameover unless they choose to use the end game option. That said, 1-ups will still be present in the game and treated very similarly as rare and valuable items. I don't want to elaborate more on what they'll be used for yet since it's very experimental.

I'm planning to completely revise the difficulty settings. These settings will not add more enemies or alter Keen's jump height (which will be the same as normal mode). If all goes as I intend, there will be an "Easy", "Normal", and "Classic" setting. Classic will be the hardest, but has its name changed due to what the difficulty setting affects.

Player points will reset on death; no more dying and recollecting points to double the score. Unlike my previous mods, I intend to put a lot of attention into point placement and score. Collecting points won't be necessary for beating the game, or getting alternate endings or anything, but I intend to create a rewarding side game out of them. Check out recent discussion on this subject here over at Keen Modding.

I'm considering capping the number of shots the neural stunner can hold. I haven't made up my mind on this, but I'm kind of tired of seeing Keen being played with 40 to 99+ shots. The arbitrary shot cap on my mind has been 25. It'll take testing.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hah, looks great, both of those animations.

Those other ideas, I like them. Too rarely -- ever? -- has Keen 4-6 gameplay been altered in such a manner. I'm intrigued by what you'll do with the points, that side game thing. 25 shots might be ok. I'd probably go to some extremes like allowing only 1 shot, but that's just me. :old :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

All those ideas are cool, except the last one. Limiting the ammo in Keen will be like limiting the weapons Duke Nukem can hold in Duke Nukem Forever! It's arguably the worst idea. If you really want to limit the ammo, limit it to 99 at least. Or no limit, but limit the ammo Keen can pick up to like 3 or something. Or make sure there are other weapons or a weapon he can use while out of ammo. Otherwise - nah..
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Thanks guys :)

The idea, really, isn't to make the player actually run out of ammo. I think a good or decent player should rarely, if ever, have that problem. But I do think player's shouldn't feel like they have infinite ammo when:
A.) Ammo is an expendable collectable, a resource to be managed.
B.) Most enemies take one shot to kill.
C.) Enemies are not always necessary to kill.

Essentially, I want the ammo system to be very much the same familiar mechanic, but more often I want the player to think "I need ammo!" and "Oh good I found ammo!".

Capping the ammo MAY not be necessary. Like points, ammo collection will be patched so that it cannot be collected multiple times by grabbing it, dying, and grabbing it again. This may fix the problem, but I would stress that I find it profoundly...lame... to see videos of players running around with 40+ shots mid game.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I like the idea of capping the ammo - having to keep an eye on your phaser charge elevates the game from shoot-em-up to a tactical experience.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I stare at these upcomming creations and I sob, for I know I shall never measure up to them.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

you can patch Keen into the Doom 3 engine so what are you complaining about?
:p
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The fact that the time of patches is nearly over. Who knows what modders will do with the source code?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

The source code will certainly be utilized for adding graphical and playable content, but otherwise in all appearances it looks like it'll just make what could already be conventionally patched accomplished 'easier'; Lemm has already succeeded in patching the most unique and outstanding gameplay alteration that was planned.