Sign of the Vool

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! Major spoiler! This is so beautiful and so inspiring that I can't stop come back here to see it again and again! It's so keenish, yet so alien-ish.

I can see the ship flying from right to the left, and then landing. Keen coming out of the ship. River flowing, jungle noises... I wish this wasn't limited to the keen engine restrictions. Kinda reminds me also of Dagobah planet from Star Wars.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Super cool.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I love the look of this. It reminds me of what all me Keen-related dreams from my childhood looked like, my imaginings of what all the unseen levels and future games would be. I like how it's colorful but muted, with both the forest and futuristic architecture, makes the whole thing feel very serene and alien.

I now have to go look at the rest of this thread because I swear I've never seen it before. :P

EDIT: IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I'm so excited for this, whenever it's done.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Truly I have envy over these graphics.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Wow, this is very nice! It reminds me of keen 4 with the fence thing going on around the village looking level.

So Ceilick, do you work on the world map before you make the actual levels or the other way around?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Usually I just kind of work on everything at once. At the moment I feel like I want to finish the world map before I go any further with anything else so that I'll know exactly how many tiles I'll have left. I feel like this will be my last Keen galaxy mod, so I'm aiming to perfect one part at a time.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Ceilick wrote:I feel like this will be my last Keen galaxy mod
nooooooooooooooooo!

I've made a small video of how this could begin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k96-sIwm ... e=youtu.be
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I know, all good things must come to an end.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

wiivn wrote:
Ceilick wrote:I feel like this will be my last Keen galaxy mod
nooooooooooooooooo!

I've made a small video of how this could begin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k96-sIwm ... e=youtu.be
Now that's an idea. One could use the Monty Python foot as the BWB Megarocket, and it'd descend down from the top right of the map. :D The question is, how to get the rocket to appear on the map once it lands? (The foot disappears in Keen 4 when it's finished taking you to your destination.)
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

weird- having the ship land on the map, i had exactly the same idea. never got around to actually do it though.
The question is, how to get the rocket to appear on the map once it lands?
here you go- have foreground tiles that look like the background tiles, which the ship lands on, and have the ship graphic on background tiles behind them. then when level 1 is complete, make it take out its foreground tiles and voila! ship in the background.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Really nice stuff, I'd say.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

This project has been reinvigorated lately.

The world map is 90% complete and I'm really satisfied with how it looks. No other levels are designed yet.

All enemy designs are complete, but I've only animated a couple so far. No enemy patching is done; I want to get them animated first.

50% of the background tiles are complete, 75% of foreground tiles.

My current goals are to get the world map finished, and to make sure all the foreground tiles currently designed are as functional as I'd like them.

With that, I need advice on how to proceed with glass domes.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/365 ... 0domes.png

The basic glass dome design is on the left with a 'transparent' background. The three on the right are different attempts to make use of nontransparent backgrounds. I'm not really satisfied with any of these; the perspective feels all wrong. Any suggestions?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

The domes are nice, just need to be a bit deeper, maybe.

The right door of the left dome seems to be half the width of the door on the other side, like it starts in the middle of its curve.

Also, re: the backgrounds on the other domes: they look 2D. Are they meant to?

Also also, should the roof parts of all the domes be 2.5D like the ground?

All the tiles are lovely. I look forward to playing this!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Since the domes now have floors, it seems to me the ceilings need to be adjusted. Not sure how it can be done without losing the smooth, curved shape of the thing...

I dunno...
Great work, Ceilick. Amazing project!
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:10, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Looks exquisite, Ceilick. I was just thinking the other day that we hadn't heard much from you in a while!

Those domes look amazing. However I think you're right to be a perfectionist, and it is a difficult problem to find a solution to. Maybe just think about how it might look in real life. Would a glass 'dome' really be expected to have a clear foreground and an opaque background? Or would you expect the front to be made of the same stuff as the back?

Maybe you would be better off with the front and back to be translucent (colour-masked) or made of some sort of wrought-iron grid or something.

As it stands, the second from the left looks best to me, and not unlike the type of set-up you often see in Keen games and mods (only better looking)!

The 'dome within a dome' idea in the third example looks great, but perhaps would be better off without the background pattern.

Finally, I think the diagonal stripes on the floor look a little strange and out of place. That said, it may be what you're going for and may be in keeping with other parts of the mod which we aren't seeing here.
Anyway, hope this helped a little!