Sign of the Vool

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Call it what you want. It's not part of a series and not a direct sequel to UTUIT. Like modding was in the old days, it's just another episode of Keen.

Thanks for all the positive comments. I appreciate the criticism as well, but as you guys have taken note, work in progress :P It's a personal project more than anything. UTUIT was for the community, this is for me :P

As some have noticed, inspiration has been drawn from Commander Spleen's Orbkeen, and I've been finding personal inspiration from H.P. Lovecraft in much of the design. The atmosphere can be expected to be a darker combination of Keen 4 and 6.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

But why?

Does it NEED to be positioned in the series? We've had a lot of mods declaring themselves to be in position x without a number (Such as Xky Keen.) It only needs a number if it's going to be fit between two previously numbered episodes.

I can take my current mod (It's the fourth in a series) and say it happened after Keen 9 and I doubt anyone would care. I could *call* it Keen 9 and that would be fair, it would be *my* Keen 9 (And nowhere near as good as the 'official' Keen 9.)

I say stick with a catchy title.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Well, after these suggestions Keen 10, 11 and 12 should take place in the parallel universe. :P
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Orbkeen 2.25D has my vote.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

I like this. It has a lively style. The see-through blocks are a great idea. Finally, the big green enemy reminds me of some of the genetic cyborgs from The Island of Dr. Brain. Great work thus far!
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

holy crap

I thought there would be nothing to look forward to again for Keen after Keen 9. I really need to pay more attention to the modding scene.

As for the issue on numbered sequels, what is this, Land Before Time? I'm fine with spiritual sequels. The whole thing with Mortimer and the universe is over, let Keen face new villains with different schemes.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I plan to release Commander Keen 13: Wisdom of Oracles.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Levellass wrote:I plan to release Commander Keen 13: Wisdom of Oracles.
Firstly Keen 10, then Keen 11, then Keen 12, and then Keen 13.

I think Keen 10-12 should take place in the parallel universe, where Keen meets the opposite of the Shikadi, Mortimer McMire, etc.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'm going to start deleting posts if this offtopic crap continues.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Are those green blasters in the screenshots a new weapon, or are they just a new look for the Neural Stunner? If they are a new weapon, what plot-related reason do they exist?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

It's just a new design for the Neural Stunner, inspiration from the Keen 6 title screen. Has a more retro sci-fi feel to it.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Wow, this one looks very promicing.

I'm a big fan of your works, Ceilick :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

:eek Wow. Simply amazing. :drool Seriously, my jaw just dropped when I opened this topic. Loving those colours.
Ceilick wrote:As some have noticed, inspiration has been drawn from Commander Spleen's Orbkeen, and I've been finding personal inspiration from H.P. Lovecraft in much of the design. The atmosphere can be expected to be a darker combination of Keen 4 and 6.
Yes! Me likes the sound of that. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Been working on this off and on. Made enough progress for a pretty screenshot:

Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i think this was the very first thread i ever looked at when i first came to this site, and the shots always looked great. i love the colour scheme (the green and purple with a bit of cyan, i think). im a fan of colour schemes.