Where Is Everybody?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Where Is Everybody?

Post by Levellass »

The mod, not the question :p

I've been keeping this on the back burner while Valentine's Keen was being done, but now things are wrapping up I can ramp up my work on it. Currently it differs from Para's work mostly in patches. Like this patch I thought people might like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixZEIAxy3Y&feature=plcp

Also, para, your song 'Grave' is 40Kb in size, that poses... difficulties in using it with many levels. Is there are version that is a more manageable size? I want to use all your music.

Hoping for a release next year sometime.
Last edited by Levellass on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:03, edited 1 time in total.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

IMMA FIRIN' MAH NEURAL CANNON!!!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

this is neat. hey it doesnt deplete ammo, is that intentional??? i suppose a lot of classic games had an infinite basic weapon. There's fun to be had in designing a game around the more 'fluid' ammo consumption of an automatic weapon (eg the 'gasoline' in Thwarting Mort). Keep this idea on the front burner!

Edit: hey you watch Vihart's vids, this makes you cool like me!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

ViHart is a lousy Tau-lover, but she's not so bad.

The patch can be made to use ammo, which it does at an incredible rate. (Fortunately the F10-F cheat will give you about 50 minutes'' worth of constant firing, so the player can cheat themselves into a LOT of ammo.)

The flamethrower must also be found; at the game start Keen can't shoot at all, even to make the click sound until he picks it up.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Levellass wrote:The flamethrower must also be found; at the game start Keen can't shoot at all, even to make the click sound until he picks it up.
Neat trick!

Only in America would an eight year old know how to operate a machine gun. Then again... Keen's no ordinary kid. (Also, Kony's kids might also disagree with that statement.)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

for a flamethrower, it just needs to end x tiles in front of keen, instead of going to the closest target.

i suggest 3-5 tiles in distance, depending on difficulty (if possible)
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It already does, the shots don't go forever but smash and stop. What's going to happen is they won't move so fast and will drift rather than move in a straight line, like real flames do. They'll also hopefully be randomized to last a random length of time.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Levellass wrote:It already does, the shots don't go forever but smash and stop. What's going to happen is they won't move so fast and will drift rather than move in a straight line, like real flames do. They'll also hopefully be randomized to last a random length of time.
Will Keen be able to run into them? And if so, what will happen?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

This is nuts and in a good way lol. Slightly reminds me of those old classic duke nukems actually heh.

In all honesty though, I imagine just how unfair it would be to get that in netkeen heh.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Will Keen be able to run into them? And if so, what will happen?

First poll: Should Keen be able to flamethrower himself and burn himself to a cinder? (This would be especially easy to do if shooting down while falling.)

Second poll: What is the name of Keen's home town?

In the meantime, I have invented a more erratic version of the patch, closer to my final goal of a falmethrower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-J37Be3 ... e=youtu.be
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

That is pretty badass. I think given the way it operates in that video at least it wouldn't be too unfair if the balls of flame killed Keen when he touched them. At the same time doing that might slow down the gameplay a bit since you'd have to wait sometimes for the fireballs to disperse so that's a consideration to take into account.

As for Keen's hometown...

*Arlen, TX
*Ravendale, CA
*Thurmondville, SC
*Lafayette, CA (because I'm from there! :D )
*Clearfield, WI (anywhere in Wisconsin would make sense since he has a Packers helmet)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Levellass wrote: In the meantime, I have invented a more erratic version of the patch, closer to my final goal of a falmethrower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-J37Be3 ... e=youtu.be
Nice patching!
Can't wait to see it in action after the enemy's "health" has been increased.

I hope I find more time to help with this project... Glad to see it's still in queue. :)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yeah, I've been keeping it on the back burner for some time, doing odd bits now and then, but now I can start to focus on it. (Now about that song...?)

Sadly the enemy health patch has proven a real sod to implement; I may have to abandon it. I have some standbys though, the flamethrower must be found, so Keen will need to do some levels defenseless. It also uses a lot of ammo so the player will either have to be smart in shooting or smart in staying out of the way to survive. (especially on hard difficulty which I am intending to make darn hard indeed.)

The enemies look to be few in number but hard to deal with, unlike Valentines Keen where they are plentiful and easy to deal with. I also want to make some explode, does anyone have any idea for what a barrel of toxic waste might look like? I have the explosion sprites set up already.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

maybe it might look like this:

except with this symbol on it Image

or not..
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Also, it should be red. Red barrels explode.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's