Mortimer McMire 1: Doomship Dilemma - ultimate version

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

What should I do?

Make new levels
43%
Edit the existing levels
57%

Total votes: 7

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Mortimer McMire 1: Doomship Dilemma - ultimate version

Post by szemi »

Firstly, please don't blame me, don't throw me with stones, but I want to update Dr.Villain's Mort 1 Beta B to Mort 1 ultimate version with the following things:

- no more illegality(*.mm1 files and Mort1.exe)
- enjoyable and playable levels
- some new graphics
- some text edits
- graphics/tiles that was made by Dr.Villain will stay
- old sounds will also stay

So if it's no problem, I'll update it (after releasing Martinez McMeyer 3), because I think Dr. Villain did a good job and I'm obsessed with this mod. :)
Last edited by szemi on Tue Feb 05, 2013 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Wait, how illegal was .mm1 files or mort1.exe? Maybe I'm forgetting something but I thought this was a Keen1 project, and renaming isn't a hanging matter is it?

Other than that sounds good, go for it!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Benvolio wrote:Wait, how illegal was .mm1 files or mort1.exe? Maybe I'm forgetting something but I thought this was a Keen1 project, and renaming isn't a hanging matter is it?

Other than that sounds good, go for it!
If you look at Keen1(Mort1).exe with a hex editor, you can find ".MM1" in it. Because of ".MM1" Dr. Villain had to rename all the ".CK1" files to ".MM1" as the ".CK1" has been changed/renamed to ".MM1"(which is illegal) I don't know if you get it.
Moreover he renamed Keen1.exe to Mort1.exe.

And thanks!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I didn't know that changing those file extensions was illegal! I guess by that standard Keen Q is breaking the law too, as well as probably lots of others I can't think of right now.

Course, by that standard, isn't a lot of modding as we know it illegal? I think there was some thing in one of the documents included with the Keen games that says modifying the software is not allowed. I may be mistaken though. Not that it's going to stop me modding anyway
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

StupidBunny wrote:I didn't know that changing those file extensions was illegal! I guess by that standard Keen Q is breaking the law too, as well as probably lots of others I can't think of right now.

Course, by that standard, isn't a lot of modding as we know it illegal? I think there was some thing in one of the documents included with the Keen games that says modifying the software is not allowed. I may be mistaken though. Not that it's going to stop me modding anyway

Well, hacking Keen1-3.exe with hex editor is illegal. You have to use patches.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Very well said. Any mod that alters the game executable permanently. (As opposed to CKPatch, which was specifically designed to take advantage of an obscure DOS protocol to create a temporary copy.) is illegal.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I did not know that. Thanks y'all for clearing up that little curiosity. :)
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I think technically there has to be a complete unmodified Keen 1 (levels and all) to stay within the shareware license. (In which case you'd want to keep the mm1 extensions for modded files, leaving unmodified ck1's, but move all the code changes to a patch.) Now-a-days I just figure "when in Rome." In the Sonic hacking scene, they distribute complete modified rom files built from dis-assembled source code of the originals, with no complaints from Sega. I doubt Id is any more concerned.

Edit: I am curious what a complete mod with my old graphics would look like. It's been a long time since I've laid eyes on either version, though.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

ID's not concerned because we're not selling it. But making a patch file is a lot easier for anybody who wants to look up the modifications in it since most of us have no clue wtf any of the hex in the exe will mean in a hex editor.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Please vote on the poll.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Does "make new levels" mean that you add new levels alongside the old ones, or just get rid of the old ones altogether? I would say you should keep the old ones and just add new levels, unless the old ones are terrible (which I doubt), in which case you should edit them and add new ones, too.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Make new levels = get rid of the old ones and make new levels.

Anyway I'll edit the "horrible levels" only. The good levels will stay.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

If the levels aren't bad, don't remove them. If you want to improve on them, that's alright.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

If the levels aren't bad, I leave those, if I find some level that should take a clean up, I'll improve that.