WORLDS of WANDER plus Secret Spaceship Club!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Scarlet wrote:That reminds me... is it true that there was a cowlike enemy set for keen 4, one that was to be there instead of the slug?
Here's my thread on it;
viewtopic.php?t=2154

And here's what Tom told me a couple years back;
Tom's Facebook message wrote:Oh yah, the most prominent outtake I guess, now that I think of it, were these "cowlike" creatures called Dorts, which were passive, you could ride across dangerous surfaces, but we traded those for poison slugs, heh.
But, he never found those images or concepts.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Why do I always miss these things?

Oh well. Huzzah and such.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

*reposts Facebook comment*

I have my reservations as to how Keenish "Secret Spaceship Club" will be, but if the engine is flexible enough it could result in some amazing work and complement the Keen modding scene on modern hardware.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it and will be making a pledge ASAP (next week probably).

I especially appreciate that it will run on Linux and Android (even if it does turn out to be Flash or Java that make that possible, it's still preferable to trapping it in DirectX land).
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Just to clarify:
And play those levels across iOS, PC, Mac, and Ubuntu Linux!
We are using Unity for cross-platform development. Thanks to the power of Unity, our game demo is running on iOS, the PC, the Mac, and Ubuntu Linux!
Is android supposed to be on that list? It's (hiding) in the pic below:

"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

... And let the inevitable spam of questions for Tom Hall start...

Kudos, man! Really looking forward to this. I'll definitely do my best to spread the word as well.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Wow, Tom Hall himself....what an honor...
This is the most amazing thing. You are our hero, always have been...For over 20 years....Oh, how I played and loved Keen through all this time...Thank you thank you for Keen, it's a brilliant and most inspiring creation, and one of my favourite games ever.
How lucky you were back then to be at the right time in the right place, with right ideas - where everything was fresh unknown ground full of pixelated possibilities!

I think this amazing community deserves this, with this loyalty and devotion to Keen, during and after all those years.

Good luck with the project!

I'm less known here, but quite known in Wolf3D (and even Doom) modding communities (you're always welcome to those forums/communities as well). And this is a great honor for me.

http://www.moddb.com/company/team-raycast

I bit offtopic (sorry....), but I wonder if you happened to play one of my/our Wolf3D mods. One of them is already considered as one of 5-10 best Wolf3D mods ever.

http://taw.duke4.net/2013/01/wolf3d/ope ... t-origins/

http://taw.duke4.net/2012/08/wolf3d/batman-vs-bane/

That would be a great honor and great closing of a circle...
I know, one of them brought (in it's previous incarnation) an international media buzz all over the world - and not the kind I wanted...I'm sorry if any of this made you any uncomfortable...I never meant to be provocative...I wonder what you think of this matter....yourself daring to release a nazi shooter back in the days where it was kind of provocative as well.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Goodness me -- welcome Tom Hall!

I don't know what else to say, I'm... speechless.

I look forward to seeing your project come to life!
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Welcome again, Tom! :D

This is PURELY awesome. I pledged as fast as I could. Looking forward to recreating Commander Keen~
Blue
The Big Foot

Post by Blue »

I saw this on some website yesterday, and I was just blown away!
I love the way the project is looking as it is. I sure do hope you reach your goal.
And just to help it along it's way, I just pledged $100 towards it.

I wish you the best of luck with the project, looking forward to see its progress!
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Don't forget to put in the dopefish. :dopefish
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

TOM! TOM! TOOMMMM! I LOVE YOU!

heh. na you're ok. thanks for the id games you worked on. made my childhood fun.
TomHallKeen
Grunt

Hey

Post by TomHallKeen »

Wow lots of responses!

The cow-like enemy was the Dort -- and you could ride on its back. You started making your way through a herd of them, they could walk over dangerous stuff and such. Don't know where an image would be.

The KEEN SOURCES disc is somewhere in my stuff, but on an ancient Syquest format -- have to find one of those that still works.

Thanks for all your support! If folks are strapped for cash, thanks for the words of support -- they mean a lot. If you are international and want to support, the Donate button on www.worldsofwander.com works through PayPal.

And the dopefish was in the pitch video even! Okay, have to read if I missed questions.

Glad to answer questions, appreciate the comments, but I blush. I'm just zis guy, you know?
Tom Hall
Keen's Daddy
Founder ~ Designer
Pieces of Fun
(making a spiritual successor to Keen)
TomHallKeen
Grunt

Pixel art

Post by TomHallKeen »

The Kickstarter has stretch goals -- two of them are art related.

One will be painterly, and one will be 8-bit (pixel art).

So yes! If we get to those goals. And if the community takes off, will get to them eventually.
Tom Hall
Keen's Daddy
Founder ~ Designer
Pieces of Fun
(making a spiritual successor to Keen)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Hey

Post by szemi »

TomHallKeen wrote:Wow lots of responses!

The cow-like enemy was the Dort -- and you could ride on its back. You started making your way through a herd of them, they could walk over dangerous stuff and such. Don't know where an image would be.
And you also wanted an other level, which is a desert city, right?
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Maybe Keen community can help the project "pixel art"-wise? :)
Invent new monsters and designs?