[old thread] BomberKEEN

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I did a bit more cleaning up, hope you don't mind.

The version I just uploaded doesn't have any noticeable differences aside from fixing a bug where it would lock up when returning to the menu. It does use the new style spritesheets, though.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Cool :)
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

DoomJedi wrote:On forums I administrate - I don't only not forbid double posting - I encourage it. I don't like to find out I read unupdated post and missed something.
Well here we discourage it, from the rules:
8. Don't double-post on a regular basis. Instead, consider editing your last post in order to add the new information.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

As I said - I myself don't understand the purpose of this rule (for non-spammers, I refer just to real Keen fans) - as the whole purpose of adding new information - is for somebody to notice and read it ASAP. People don't just randomly visit old threads hoping to find/notice some edit in one of it's posts.
This is so obvious.

But I obey rules of whatever forum I'm in - so maybe you DIDN'T NOTICE ( :) :) ) - I started to edit my posts.
I still think it's a stupid rule. I'm entitled to my opinion.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Does editing a post bring it to the top of a forum? Or give it that little orange note icon?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Levellass wrote:Does editing a post bring it to the top of a forum? Or give it that little orange note icon?
I don't think so, which is why if you're going to edit, edit quickly or wait a day or so/until someone else replies if you want your change to be noticed.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

No it doesn't, not with our outdated system.
I didn't want to post about it, but I'll do now to end this offtopic discussion:
We made the rule against double posting because we (and that is I think the unanimous vote of all moderators here) it looks more tidy if you don't have the same person posting multiple oneliners in a row, but to have one larger post.
The rule is not against one posting one day in a thread and then posting again in the same thread right below his post when a considerable amount of time has passed, in order to bump it up again when new info has been added. I realize that "considerable" is not a clear definition as in "1 Day minimum", but I think a different minimum amount applies to different situations.
That said I just thought 4 posts in a row with little more than an hour between the first 3 was a little much. At first I wasn't sure if DoomJedi was aware of the edit button until I inspected the beginning of the thread.

That said carry on with BomberKeen everybody.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

I've posted a VERY long and detailed reply - but deleted it now, as I see that Tulip does make a fair and wise difference between double posting after a day or a few hours - and double posting in 4 posts in one hour.

If I indeed posted many posts in very limited time gap - I sincerely ask for apology - as I agree it can be seen as forum misuse. I won't do that again.
I've administrated (and still do) so many forums in my life (well, at least 4-5, and moderated some more), and participated in so many others - that I know everything there is to know about forums. Technically, ethically. Yes, I know "edit" button well and do use it.

Now as I was fair to you (and apologized) - let's be 100% fair both ways.

This thread is a project development thread - and we gotta make a difference between such threads - and more general threads. This is a thread of 2 people (me and Dr. Kylstein) - who need to sync our work. We can't allow other dev. team member to miss important edit or information. So when I see Dr. Kylstein online on the forum - I automatically assume he read my original post. For project development - what do you want from me? To PM/notify Dr. Kylstein each time I edit my post? So I might indeed have posted more frequently when I saw him online at that time period.

I officially propose Dr. Kylstein to work on BKeen from now on - on a special private subforum I'll open for this project on my own dev. forum where I manage all of my modding projects - in a way I like to manage modding projects. It's a more advanced PHPBB3 forum with tons of features and benefits. It hosts and hosted many projects before. Dr. Kylstein - if you're interested - PM me for the link. I already worked well on that forum with Lemm on one of our abandoned projects.
This thread can be left as a general public thread for the project. But without double posting - it can't work well as development thread. I feel too limited. So I don't want to work on project development in this thread anymore.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Sorry for double posting - but this is the last one (on this thread).

Announcement:

Development of "BomberKeen" was moved to a private development forum.
There we have a whole dedicated subforum, private chatroom and everything else we need for effective development of this project.

I'd ask the moderators to close this thread.

We'll open a new "fresh & clean" thread for public discussion and updates of "BomberKeen".

Thanks to everyone who supported this - hope to see you all in the new public thread we'll open.