Commander Keen: Tower Defense

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Long story short, DoomJedi and I decided to make a tower defense game using some of his graphics.

The aliens are trying to get to something (in this case, it's a sandwich) and you have to stop them by building towers. That's pretty much it.

Basically, you need to build platforms on which you can place different type of weapons that deal different type of damage, shoot with different speed or are even limited on which direction they can shoot. For example, the flamethrower weapon can deal great amount of damage, but shoots only in four directions, while the zappers can shoot in all directions, but deal less damage. 3 levels of upgrades are planned for each weapon.

Enemies gives you points (money). They have health bar and vary from moving speed and damage they can take. For example, Slugs are slow and weak. They give you like 2 points and are easy to kill, but they come in swarms some times. Blooguards are stronger than Bloogs, both are faster than Slugs, but they come in smaller amounts and gives you a bit more points. And so forth.

The game pretty much works now. It's based on Unity engine source code, so it's pretty much multiplatform, supports svga graphics and such. However, it's still far away from completion. It needs more balancing, more enemies, sounds etc. Keen 6 and Keen 4 tileset are definitely to be included (almost done in fact). We'll see about Keen 5 and maybe we'll include 7, 8 and 9.
Last edited by Roobar on Mon Apr 01, 2013 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well this is interesting.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

:eek
Wow, soon we'll have a keen game in every genre
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

It's really fun to work with wiivn, such a creative modder...I'm glad to see my art come to life, under a whole new engine. Was hard to keep this one a secret, but that was wiivn request.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

SPOILERS
Woah, someone actually put effort into an april fools entry! It's obvious, wiivn is a god amongst picture editors.
/SPOILERS
Looks cool. :)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Meanwhile on Gnosticus IV, the Keepers of the Oracle are in danger (again):
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Is this by any chance, an April Fools prank?

If not. it looks great!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

wiivn wrote:Meanwhile on Gnosticus IV, the Keepers of the Oracle are in danger (again):
lol at DoomJedi's Monster in the lake
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

MoffD wrote:lol at DoomJedi's Monster in the lake
Oh, now we have a name for it :)

wiivn - you gotta slow down the slugs, they move too fast...especially for slugs.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Wow. This looks just cool! It'll be interesting to see this type of a game in Keen settings. The graphics are brilliant.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It's real. How many more screenshots do I have to upload for you to believe? On the other side, the Dopefish Easter egg IS an Aprils fool (sorry Gridlock :)). To my knowledge, there is no real Dopefish Easter egg found in Bioshock Infinite (yet).

DoomJedi: Yeah, about the slugs: that's already done.

Also, one more explanation. Sometimes pick-up items appears for a short amount of time on the screen and you can collect them by touching them. They give you extra cash or lives.

And here's a video:
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh well. Enough about this. Originally though, my Aprils fool joke was about Keen: Black, but it was more of a troll joke, so...

It was really fun doing all that stuff!! To be honest, I've got this idea for a long time and I wanted to see how it would look a Tower Defense game in the Keeniverse, but just recently, after DoomJedi's BomberKeen came out and after playing some Fieldrunners, the idea slap me in the face. So, I hope there is no disappointment in some of you, if you really believed it's a game in the works. Still, it could come great game out of this someday. But the whole experience from making these screenshots to reading the comments was quite rewarding and worthy experience! At least for me :p :)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I KNEW IT I SAID IT I KNEW IT FROM THE VERY BEGINNING :lol
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

>:
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

*stores picture for later use* :p