Game of the Week

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

Game of the Week

Post by Slayterdawg »

PCKF Community,

I purpose a synchronized effort to rate Keen MODS (to establish the PCKF Rating System).

I thought it would be nice that the "PCKF Community" would select a MOD each week and the entire community would play and rate(survey) the selected MOD during the course of the week. In time, MODS would receive the PCKF rating. This would allow newbies to see what most Keeners like in MODS, and also provide feedback to the MODDERS.

To start off (Week 1), I purpose to play Keen 7.
I've made a rating survey found at:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MZNSHN3

Surveymonkey summarizes the survey ratings (tables and graphs).
Survey summaries can be reviewed in forum. (Info can also be added to www.shikadi.net/keenwiki mods pages).
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Re: Game of the Week

Post by MoffD »

Slayterdawg wrote:PCKF Community,

I purpose a synchronized effort to rate Keen MODS (to establish the PCKF Rating System).

I thought it would be nice that the "PCKF Community" would select a MOD each week and the entire community would play and rate(survey) the selected MOD during the course of the week. In time, MODS would receive the PCKF rating. This would allow newbies to see what most Keeners like in MODS, and also provide feedback to the MODDERS.

To start off (Week 1), I purpose to play Keen 7.
I've made a rating survey found at:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MZNSHN3

Surveymonkey summarizes the survey ratings (tables and graphs).
Survey summaries can be reviewed in forum. (Info can also be added to www.shikadi.net/keenwiki mods pages).
Sounds interesting but I would amend that to monthly, as most people here don't create mods that fast
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

They don't need to be able to create mods that fast, as we have a sizeable pool to draw from.

Whether we can play and evaluate them every week is another question.
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Post by Captainkeen »

Nice idea. and I agree with Stupidbunny we have a large pool of mods to rate before we run out. Altough I don't image you will probably keep this up every single week. I have a few comments tough:

First could you post a link to the mod in question being rated. because what the hell is keen7? I can dimly remember some bogus keen fan game but I don't think thats what you are refering to here.

Difficulty is good to rate but can't be rated in term is poor good excellent ect for obvious reasons.

same for patches because patches being used does not neccesarily corrolate to the quality of the mod. also many early mods did not have acces to patches but may stil be much better then some mod that does have patches.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Oh man, yeah we'd have so many more if we did fangames too! I vote we do Commander Keen: Codename 13 after we've done Keys of Krodacia. :crazy
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Where can we view the current survey results?
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

^This had occurred to me too. I think that any and all mods should be covered, and we should switch it up between the most well-known and more obscure titles (after all, haven't mods like TUIT and XkyKeen, by merit of their excellence, been discussed thoroughly as it is?)

The "great" mods are deserving of evaluation "game of the week" status, but I think it would be interesting to hear what people have to say about all the rest.

And I do think reviewing crappy fangames might be fun, too, albeit infrequently.
Slayterdawg
Vortininja

"Game of The Week"

Post by Slayterdawg »

I chose TUIT Keen7 because I have not played it yet. I first heard of the TUIT trilogy in June 2012. Since that time I've made the Aqua Keen Trilogy.

My first impression of this MOD is that it is first rate. I thought it would be a good benchmark to compare other MODS (Keen4-6).

After 2 days, 4 have completed the survey.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s0d44eyphgdaru/Survey.bmp

dawg
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Dude, try using PNG images, all the pixels for a fraction of the space. I have an excellent PNG compressor if you need one.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Someone voted maximum for music? :dead :dead
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

See, now this is why I was against allowing the bat people to join our forum.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I have given my two cents to the survey (I hadn't noticed it was there before. Shows how carefully I read that :P )
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I'm totally on board for this idea. I agree with all the above points and second the idea of mixing up all echelons of mods. Perhaps weekly is a good enough interval. If people are aware of this thread then perhaps they will make it a weekly ritual to check it out each week for 3 minutes.

I'd say publishing results after 2 days was a little premature. I will go ahead and do the Surveymonkey now. Perhaps next monday Dawg could publish the week's results and announce the next mod to vote on.

I guess we're not supposed to talk much about the mods here. But let me just say, though Keen7 and Keen8 didn't impress me on first playing to the extent that Keen9 did, they are great and important acheivements nonetheless. I think Keen7 is a bit of a 'transition point' for Ceilick; its tileset reminds me a lot of his early mods especially Kidnapped Keen which I always loved. Keen7 retains a touch of naiveté which disappears over the course of the series, finishing with the absolute professionalism of Keen9. That is all. See ye next week for the next poll!