2.5D Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

New build: http://www.josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest7.html
Vacation was good, got me back into the swing of things. I realized that I have been way too spoiled at work, always having lovely and accurate concepts and orthos to model from. I'm losing my own ability to think creatively :dead!

So I'm going to get back into drawing, and stay the course. Tulip, that's a great idea making it look like it's in a giant glass dome, I may just run with that.
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Haha, wow, you're really taking Keen 1 in new (and cool) directions! I think its interesting how you make the floating platforms give off "propulsion steam" and the exit looks really interesting.

Its cool to see new interpretations of the old stuff.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Now this is what I am talking about. It's the same old thing, but seen with a new perspective and new possibilities. Much like how NetKeen re-envisioned the Vorticons tilesets.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

New build: http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest8.html

Tulip reminding me that the Keen levels taking place in domed cities is really opening a lot of doors for me. Now I have a decent idea of where I can go with the level to make it feel more like it's part an environment, not just floating tiles. I'm going to transform it into a city street, with all sorts of activity in the background and foreground.

All the new stuff is at the end by the door, but be careful... I need to make a little script that fades out those pipes when you get near them. You probably won't see that clam before it's too late :P
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

woohooo, this is going into the right direction. I can't wait to see how this will look with textures and lighting.
And yeah I didn't get past that one pat-pat behind the pipes. But fading them out seems like a good idea to me.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Liking this a lot!

I have one question, when I try to jump Keen in a direction he seems to only half jump and only does a full jump if he is standing still and I hold the jump key. Is that a bug or feature?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

New Build: http://www.josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest9.html

I think you guys will really like this one :D. My friend Jeff helped me out with the camera code to smooth it out, makes a BIG difference.
Also I actually started to model the level in a 3D environment. So lots of modeling and remodeling left to do.
when I try to jump Keen in a direction he seems to only half jump and only does a full jump if he is standing still and I hold the jump key.
I think I found out why that was happening. There was a collider along the top of the level, so you were probably hitting that?
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I'm still not entirely sold on the engine in terms of player control (jumping/platforming, etc), but damn :drool

The amount of potential I see in this is simply incredible. The 3-D scrolling/models look breathtaking, and with color/textures/lighting this will look professional. I never thought I'd see this good a reimagining of Keen 1. I hope you keep going with this and take it to new heights. Best of luck. :)
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Wooooow. Astounding. That really is a big different with the camera as you said. Amazing work!

A few issues...
Sometimes jumping up from beneath hover-pads blocks Keen.
Also, when jumping while touching a wall in front of Keen, sometimes his jump is interrupted:

Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:37, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I cant wait to see this progress more.

Only found a few minor issues. I can kill 2 yorps with one shot if they're both close enough to my gun. Also they can't walk past they're own corpses. Last thing is the pause screen zips the camera to the top of the level.

I think I only found 2 or 3 different jump heights depending on how long you hold the jump button. I'd have to check but I felt like the original was more analog with jumps.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You can kill multiple Yorps in Keen Vorticons with just one shot if they're close enough. Marvelous attention to detail!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

Quick update: http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest10.html

Just wanted to squash a couple bugs Guynietron and Troublesomekeen pointed out. The pause menu behaves now, and running into walls or jumping into floating platforms won't interrupt your jumps anymore.

Thanks for finding those! Levellass, thanks for sticking up for me, but it wasn't my intention to be able to kill 2 at once :P. I'll be fixing that and the dead enemy collider issue later this week.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Wow! Always impressed! I have to say, with this couple of bugs fixed, the feel of this has drastically improved. I feel more comfortable with the controls. The progress you're making is off the charts! Keep up the good work, but don't burn yourself out! *takes a sip of lemonade with a miniature umbrella in it*
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

New Build: http://josephmcarney.com/test/KeenTest11.html
Just an art update, really. No bug fixes, but I'm psyched about the progress I've made on the level models. These basic buildings are something I can really build upon. No pun intended :P