Kings Quest mod idea

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Bloogbae
Grunt

Kings Quest mod idea

Post by Bloogbae »

Hi I think it would be really cool if someone would be interested in making a mod with a Kings Quest theme. Is anyone willing to try making it?

Commander Keen 4-6 and Kings Quest 5 are the two main games I grew up playing as a kid. I think it would be different, so it would be cool.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

weird, i *just then* was looking up a mod called Zero X that was abandoned. it had a magic/fairy tale/wizardy theme to it. someone should finish that mod :(
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Re: Kings Quest mod idea

Post by Commander Keen »

bloogbae wrote:Hi I think it would be really cool if someone would be interested in making a mod with a Kings Quest theme. Is anyone willing to try making it?

Commander Keen 4-6 and Kings Quest 5 are the two main games I grew up playing as a kid. I think it would be different, so it would be cool.
Ya know, that does sound like a great idea! I grew up with King's Quest when I was a kid. Id love to see a game staring King Graham with a "Keen" style game play, but with the familiar puzzle solving that made the King's Quest series popular. Just dont make it like Mask Of Eternity. :barf
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

When I saw the topic title, I thought that it would be about a mod of a King's Quest game, featuring Keen as the protagonist... which would offer an interesting opportunity to showcase his intelligence through gameplay for once.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

There has been a very glitchy and ugly fangame series combining adventure and keen games if you're interested in that kind of games: www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/List_of_fan-games (See Day of the Alien and Goodbye Monkey Island)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

tulip wrote:glitchy and ugly... if you're interested in that kind of games:
Never before have I been so absolutely sold on a product.
Bloogbae
Grunt

Post by Bloogbae »

Ive never made a keen mod but I might try. I might expand the theme beyond Kings Quest though and just make it sort of a joke game.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You can't make KQ5 mod because KQ5 is using vga graphics. You may try some of the previous quests, but it would still require a lot of graphical work...
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Post by Commander Keen »

wiivn wrote:You can't make KQ5 mod because KQ5 is using vga graphics. You may try some of the previous quests, but it would still require a lot of graphical work...
Actually, you can. I have a program that can edit the old SCI Sierra games as well as the even older AGI ones. I wouldnt suggest using them though as there are better programs such as AGS (Adventure Game Studio) that are much better in making adventure games similar to what Sierra made. If you do want the programs that can edit SCI and AGI games, I can go and look at my hard drive to find them.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I now posit a Kingsley's Quest mod.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Commander Keen wrote:Actually, you can. I have a program that can edit the old SCI Sierra games as well as the even older AGI ones. I wouldnt suggest using them though as there are better programs such as AGS (Adventure Game Studio) that are much better in making adventure games similar to what Sierra made. If you do want the programs that can edit SCI and AGI games, I can go and look at my hard drive to find them.
I meant a KEEN mod, not an AGS game as he obviously is referring to a Keen mod.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Plasma Captain wrote:When I saw the topic title, I thought that it would be about a mod of a King's Quest game, featuring Keen as the protagonist... which would offer an interesting opportunity to showcase his intelligence through gameplay for once.
My mind gravitated towards a Space Quest mod, but gruesome deaths don't fit Keen very well. But exploring planets in that type of gameplay would be fun.

Edit:
I guess Keen is only a few pixels shorter than Roger. Would have to scale him with distance, so his black outline may have to be removed.
Sorry if I'm derailing the topic.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Or he could just have smaller sprites for distance.

And yeah, Space Quest would be more akin to Keen. Though I suppose that, as it has been mentioned, AGS or even a custom engine may make more sense for that kind of project.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

yeah I'm completely with guynietoren. Also I've always hated the deaths in sierra adventures, so that I'd like to see the graphical style similar to his mockup but maybe with lucasarts adventure game mechanics.
I'd be willing to draw a screen here and there for a project like this.

I know the topic is derailing, but as I see it this was more like a brainstorming topic anyway.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

tulip wrote:this was more like a brainstorming topic anyway.
that's well said.

I imagined the keen mod to be more like this:

I can already see 3 types of solid ground out of these screenshots, plus some decoration.