[coder needed] BomberKeen - public thread

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

This is epic. Although I'm not a big fan of the marvel/dc comic heroes in there. But I can always not play them.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

tulip wrote:This is epic.
Thank you :) I think so too :)
Although I'm not a big fan of the marvel/dc comic heroes in there. But I can always not play them.
As I already said - character display list if fully customizable - for different "BomberKeen" customizations and even mods....even Keen-unrelated mods.
You can simply delete 2 lines in the related .ini file - and those 2 characters won't show in your selection menu in all. You can even replace them with custom characters you make yourself. Ini file can define chatacter artfile, his screen name - and even his size.
So initial character list is just a "default proposal". That's why I feel free to add fun cameo characters....for those who might do like those.
You can remove characters for other ones (as we support only (?) up to 50 characters on the selection screen) - and then easily later re-insert those back if you wish.
I just show the potential possibilities with this engine.

I guess the same flexibility will be made for levels/level art and themes.

So I try to make this as moddable as I can - as we like modding...things. :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

DoomJedi wrote: So I try to make this as moddable as I can - as we like modding...things. :)
I like that philosophy. Also what made fan projects like SMBX so great even though the engine kind of sucks. I gotta investigate modding Bomberkeen in the future.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Three months from now KeendyCrush is the new hit game on Facebook. Zynga denies stealing the idea.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Levellass wrote:Three months from now KeendyCrush
Cool name :)
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Changed to new Martinez colors:

Meantime we work on implementing more powerups and such.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Dr. Kylstein - is this project dead?
It cannot continue at current pace, which is practically no pace at all... maybe you'll propose someone else to finish it?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Woah, can't believe I overlooked this thread.
Hope the project isn't dead, I'd like to see a stable release.
Also, I agree with Tulip; those Marvel characters shouldn't cross over into the Keen universe. Maybe you should shelve them until BomberKeen is done, then release a superhero skin as a separate game?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Paramultart wrote:Woah, can't believe I overlooked this thread.
Hope the project isn't dead, I'd like to see a stable release.
Hard to find coders though.
Maybe you should shelve them until BomberKeen is done, then release a superhero skin as a separate game?
Well, this is not our main problem at this point - but lack of active coders.
We can discuss those things at later times.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Are there coders interesting to help this project out and advance it further?
So much art is made etc....it's a pity to scrap such a project.

I'd prefer to port this to SDL actually and not continue it under DOS. To avoid memory limitations and such.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

You'll get it done sometime with help :)
Don't give up!
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

DoomJedi wrote: I'd prefer to port this to SDL actually and not continue it under DOS. To avoid memory limitations and such.
That's sad... The fact that this project was for DOS is about 60% of the reason I'm so interested in it. How much coding is left, and what are the main features that need to be added?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Are you considering helping out? How good you are with coding for DOS? Watcom and such?
I was considering today to open moddb/indiedb page for it....

If there is a coder for that who wants to keep it DOS - I guess I don't mind, if he can deal well with obvious memory limitations and such.
Obviously we'll keep Dr. Kylstein credit in as well - for all the great work he has already done for this.

Regarding how much coding is left it depends. Most of basic powerups are coded in and things are very playable and quite stable, but there are so much more we can code in - depending on coder's will and skill.
For basic vs. version we need some bugfixing, theme selection screen, and maybe a few more powerups - like fullblast and some others. Most of them are quite easy to code.

For single player obviously enemy AI should be coded in, and monsters.

But potential for "BomberKeen" universe is endless, with story mode, world maps, more game modes like CTF and such, different bomberman-inspired traps to use in levels....(magnet, trampoline etc etc.....)...eggs and animals, "throw bomb into the field to get back to play" option....endless....so how much code is left to do depends on our will, skill, devotion and inspiration.
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Here's the last version. I've included the source if anybody wants to look at that.

I still feel like I should add map selection and finish the powerups, but it's hard to keep interest. I don't play the game myself except to make sure it doesn't crash.

(p.s.: Memory hasn't been that of big of deal. Mainly it's just that no one image file can have more than 64k pixels. I haven't checked how many TSRs it can coexist with lately, though.)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Map similar to the Keen 4-6 style maps would be awesome!