introduce myself and a permission request

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

introduce myself and a permission request

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Hi, my name Richard and I'm from Germany. When I was a kid I enjoyed playing Commander Keen. And still I'm a huge fan of the game series.
I have been following for some time the topics on this board. I find it difficult to write something in English, therefore am a rather quiet guy.

I've made quite a few Commander Keen fan games in GameMaker.
When I saw the great "The Universe is Toast (mod trilogy)", I've decided to make a mod by myself.

And now, after more than a year, I'm almost done with the game. It's called "Commander Keen - The Terror from Outer Space" (the Title is a hommage to the old sci-fi movies of the 50s/60s)
Gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjLCRuJNeo

Currently I'm working on the "Help Menu" and the "Story Text".
And therefore the permission request: As I said, I love the mod trilogy. Especially I find the new character "Lt. Barker" very fascinating. It would therefore be delighted if I had the permission to use this character in my mod.

The second request refers to the "Keen Info" section in Keen9. This section is so well written and so informative that I would like to use it for my mod too.

- English is not my native language, so I kindly ask you to oversee some grammar errors or spelling mistakes -
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Greetings, Dr.Colossus! You are already a legend! I had no idea you were making a Keen4 mod! From the comments on the video it appears many have known about this project for quite some time.

I see you've replaced the Swimsuit with the Spacesuit. I knew I wasn't the only one with this idea. If I ever complete my mod (started in February 2012), I'm afraid it will include the same concept, but at least the artwork will be different.

Sitting here watching the "The Terror from outer Space Promo", I could just weep for hours. Every thing you do is gold. I can't even find any spelling errors with your English. The Keen Community makes the greatest mods in the world.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Ah excellent, I have been waiting for this post for some time now. I am sure there will be no problems at all with what you require.

Also, happy 1st post! Uh, Ich hoffe, dass Sie Ihre Zeit hier genießen.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

Oh man, this looks really sweet. :drool
Lunick is Here
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

G'day.
I saw this promo and many of your others a while back, they all look amazing and I'm looking forward to checking your current project out when it's done.
I hope you enjoy your stay, and your english was near perfect!
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Video looks tantalizing!
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Hey, you did the wiki entry for my 'ruin of roib' mod. thanks for that :)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yet, another proof that the Germans are awesome! When they start working on something, they make sure it's something of high quality! For instance, they made the best keen engine out there. And now, your video speaks for itself. I also hope you will add some custom made music and change some sound effects.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Welcome to the forums, glad to see you finally join us :)

Feel free to use Lt. Barker however you like. The Keen Info section in Keen 9, I think (I'm at work at can't look it over), was written by Mink or myself, but I think I can speak for the whole Keen 9 team and say use what you like.

Really looking forward to your mod; your fangames are indicative of a lot of talent, and this mod looks like it'll be one of the best.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

This is the year a bunch of great mods are coming out of the woodwork. Moreover, how did I not know about this?

This looks absolutely phenomenal!
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Good stuff! I like the different atmosphere.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

So far looks brilliant. Very good work, great animations (wow, everything looks so animated) and spriting. Very solid, consistent and professional looking.
What a nice surprise.
cyber zero
Vortininja

Post by cyber zero »

My God, this looks awesome.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Oh Wow, what a great response :). Thanks everybody.
troublesomekeen wrote: I see you've replaced the Swimsuit with the Spacesuit. I knew I wasn't the only one with this idea. If I ever complete my mod (started in February 2012), I'm afraid it will include the same concept, but at least the artwork will be different.
It does not matter. quite the contrary, I am looking forward to see your version
Levellass wrote:Also, happy 1st post! Uh, Ich hoffe, dass Sie Ihre Zeit hier genießen.
Danke schön :)
Bernie wrote:Hey, you did the wiki entry for my 'ruin of roib' mod. thanks for that :)
No problem. I like it to make wiki entries, especially when they are about such great games like yours.
wiivn wrote:I also hope you will add some custom made music and change some sound effects.
Yes, this is on my To-Do-List:
-finish the Game-Help Menu
-sound
-music
-pimp up some graphics
-improve a couple of patches
Ceilick wrote:Feel free to use Lt. Barker however you like. The Keen Info section in Keen 9, I think (I'm at work at can't look it over), was written by Mink or myself, but I think I can speak for the whole Keen 9 team and say use what you like.
Cool! (I'm almost done with the story screen)
I will make a video when I finished it.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I saw your video as well. I must say you are master. :)
Yeah, piece of cake!