introduce myself and a permission request

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah! The new title screen is like 10 times better! And excellent work on the title itself! The font, the coloring that is.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I am really going to like this and am sure there will be much for me to steal. I mean, be inspired by.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Levellass wrote: and am sure there will be much for me to steal. I mean, be inspired by.
*evil smile*
Yeah, piece of cake!
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Levellass wrote:I am really going to like this and am sure there will be much for me to steal. I mean, be inspired by.
:mortlol

No Problem. Seriously, you helped me so much you can "steal" what ever you want. :)
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

This mod looks great, good job
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

this might sound kinda mean, but I really don't like graphics from other games in mods, it always makes a mod look more amaturish to me :/
sorry, its just something i feel about. everything else about this mod looks cool though.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Bernie wrote:this might sound kinda mean, but I really don't like graphics from other games in mods, it always makes a mod look more amaturish to me :/
sorry, its just something i feel about. everything else about this mod looks cool though.
same feeling about this "stealing" thingy
Yeah, piece of cake!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Wow, huge improvement on the title screen! And that world map... :drool

I think the composition of the title screen is fantastic, but there is still room for improvement: the mountain silhouettes look a bit haphazardly placed, the blocky design of the Mothership, and some shading issues with Keen's shirt and some of the purple tentacles.

I love the world map! Great design, color, and variety! If you have extra tiles to spare, I have a few suggestions that I think would enhance your vision:

Detail Tiles: For the most part, you've done this extremely well; the map really feels alive! The main area that can use improvement is the blue areas of the Vorticon Mothership. Some vents, ports, or other miscellaneous things on the surface would really enhance it. The Keen 2 tileset has all kinds of tiles for this purpose, but only a few were used used.

Integration: Some of the level entrances are integrated every well, examples include all levels on the mothership EXCEPT the organic dome, the mountains on the asteroid, and a few others. Others feel like they are just slapped on, including the organic dome on the mothership and some of the facilities on the asteroid.

My suggestion is to really show how the mothership has been infested and taken over where it was hit; tentacles going into the wall, attaching to eletronics, corroding the surface of the ship. For the facilities on the asteroids, consider some pipelines, small roads, and other industrial junk left behind by the vorticons.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Looks out of this world! Galaxy mods have really been catching steam this year.

Dang it... I lost my copy of WIE's cover artwork.
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:35, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Hah! I haven't seen the Sign of the Vool title screen. Nice!

But the Atroxian Realm one doesn't look that good when compared to the others.

Btw we should make a collection of the most popular and good title screens.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

But the Atroxian Realm one doesn't look that good when compared to the others.
I'm all for any improvements that can be made (although that is an older version of the screen). However, I have absolutely no time to work on the mod at the moment, hence the lack of updates.

Back on topic. As I've commented before, this mod looks phenomenal. The art direction is very creative and professional, and I'm excited to see where this goes. If we actually get the keen sources, maybe this will give us even more modding freedom.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

this might sound kinda mean, but I really don't like graphics from other games in mods, it always makes a mod look more amaturish to me :/
I say it depends; if the graphics are better than what you yourself can do and are not just copy-paste insertions then I'm all for it. Good borrowed graphics should have at least as much thought and maybe effort put into them as those made from scratch.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

yeah, it could work, but I'm usually of the opinion that graphics should be consistant, whether all bad or all good. if its a mix of both it looks patchy imo.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

updated the Worldmap.

Do you think the ship is now a bit "overloaded"?
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Looks fantastic IMHO