R.O.C.K.

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Henrock431
Vortininja

R.O.C.K.

Post by Henrock431 »

Hey guys, I don't know if any of you remember me, I was making a CK remake in the style of CK4-6 in Game Maker a few years back (ROCK: Recreation Of Commander Keen). I got busy with life and such and sort of forgot about it but I feel compelled to start work on it again. The game engine is mostly done so i basically need to make a few more baddies, levels, a story, and it's done! :)

Anyway, I read in one of these threads that someone had sounds from 4-6 and was wondering if I could acquire those. I recorded a few sounds myself off an old PC I have but that was a pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Edit: Here's a little page I just made for this project on my website: http://henrock.net/rock.html

There is a link to download a little demo too. :)
Last edited by Henrock431 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

A piece of it to try, anywhere?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Hey I remember that game! Actually it was quite good and enjoyable! It was in my personal top 3 Keen fan games. Good to know you've decided to continue working on it :).

As for the sounds, I'm quite sure there are 1-2 topics concerning Keen sounds. You may want to browse through the topics to find them.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Is this a remake of Invasion of the Vorticons with Goodbye Galaxy graphics? Sounds like a keen idea :)
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Looks like Kazuhiro's project is stirring up some competition!

BTW Henrock, what version of GM did ROCK use?
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Henrock431
Vortininja

Post by Henrock431 »

Shadow Master wrote:A piece of it to try, anywhere?
Just made a little site and uploaded a demo! :)
http://henrock.net/rock.html
Iv4n wrote:Hey I remember that game! Actually it was quite good and enjoyable! It was in my personal top 3 Keen fan games. Good to know you've decided to continue working on it :).

As for the sounds, I'm quite sure there are 1-2 topics concerning Keen sounds. You may want to browse through the topics to find them.
Glad to know you liked it. :) I'll take a look around for those sounds..
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Is this a remake of Invasion of the Vorticons with Goodbye Galaxy graphics? Sounds like a keen idea :)
This is no mod.. it's completely programed from scratch! (minus a few tutorials i used to learn about gravity and such.) This might be needless work as it plays much like the Keen 4-6 engine, but it opens up the possibility to add any new feature or enemy that can be imagined.
MortimerInBlack wrote:Looks like Kazuhiro's project is stirring up some competition!

BTW Henrock, what version of GM did ROCK use?
I'm currently using version 5.3a. I know it's a bit out dated, (I think they're up to 7 now?) but i started this thing in version 4 or 5 something and when I converted up last time i had to tweak a lot of my code. :dead Probably won't be doing that again.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

im sure this has been asked before...but what is this? is it a remake of vorticons in the style of galaxy? what?
bp
Vortininja

Post by bp »

I remember this fangame! It was a while back, but I absolutely loved it! Continue it by all means!
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

jonnyspeight wrote:im sure this has been asked before...but what is this? is it a remake of vorticons in the style of galaxy? what?
That was answered in the post right above yours.
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
JM2008
Vortininja

Post by JM2008 »

Nice game you're making there :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'm just adding a KeenWiki entry about your game, so I thought I'd ask,

How's your project coming? Are you still working on it?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Henrock431
Vortininja

Post by Henrock431 »

Oh wow, I'm in the KeenWiki? Sweet! Interesting you should ask, the project got put on the shelf again shortly after that first post up there, but I just dusted it off and having been making a new level the past few days! I'm going to try to finish that up in the next week or so and hopefully put it up for testing out soon.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Ah, neat. I happy it's continued. In my eyes this is the best fan-created Keen game so far.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

tulip wrote:Ah, neat. I happy it's continued. In my eyes this is the best fan-created Keen game so far.
This fangame does show promise. It is definitely an exception to the rule. I have played quite a few Keen fangames, but I was not impressed with any of them. I feel the same way about many of the levelpacks as well (With a few exceptions of course.) Please do not think I am trying to say all these famgames and levelpacks are crap. I can tell you all right now that all these people are more creative than I could ever hope to be.

Back to the topic on hand, like I said, I think this game shows promise and I would definitely like to see it finished. Of course, greatness takes time... ask "the Dude"! :crazy
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Henrock431
Vortininja

Post by Henrock431 »

Glad to see there is still interest in my project! :) I'm working on it now.. just found a note I left in the Keen object, it says I started the project in January of 2004! I didn't realize it's been so long!

I'm having some issues with vertical moving platforms at the moment, if anyone has any advice or expertise it would be greatly appreciated!