R.O.C.K.

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

What's it like?
Is it available for free download?
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Hey man, I gave it a try and I must say that this could become very good. You got some nice sprites for monsters and items. But the movements are buggy and slower than the original keen. Also the impossible pogo trick is seriously impossible this time : P

In other words, there's still a lot of work to do, but for now it is a good demo.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Any update? I recommend adding all the monsters from keen dreams -> keen 7 (give the monsters from keen dreams the death sprite with the stars around their head, I think you're good enough as a spriter to do this). the pogo stick is kinda bugged when used on sloped floors, and keen moves slower than the original games.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Henrock,where can i download those Keen 6 musics in your game? Sorry but i can't find.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Henrock431
Vortininja

Post by Henrock431 »

Hey everyone! Sorry it's been so long again, seems to be the way life is, I get busy and they every few months I work on this more and then I get busy again.. Anyway I've got an update on the ROCK project finally! I had a revelation on how to fix the super buggy pogo stick! it's all fixed up and works great on the slopes every bounce. :) Also tweaked a few other things, keen now faces the right direction after he pulls himself up from a ledge, and I believe I've dealt with the annoying and occasionally fatal glitch where sometimes, upon activating the pogo, keen would fly to one side when no direction key was being pressed.

Anyway it's late here and I've got school tomorrow but i'll be sure to upload a brand new demo tomorrow. I think there are two new levels since the last demo too. :)
CKeen666 wrote:I recommend adding all the monsters from keen dreams -> keen 7 (give the monsters from keen dreams the death sprite with the stars around their head, I think you're good enough as a spriter to do this)
As far as adding in all the old monsters, it is something i have considered though my ultimate goal is to make a completely original episode once I complete the ROCK engine. After that I may consider this.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Oh boy, I'm thrilled.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Henrock431
Vortininja

Post by Henrock431 »

Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Awesome new demo, the new levels and enemies are great :)

I had some issues with controlling keen though, and noticed a few other problems:

-Occasionally, when keen climbs up from an edge, he flies straight up into the air in the standing position
-I would really like to be able to do a high pogo jump by pressing alt and ctrl in rapid succession. Currently Keen does a small pogo bounce everytime I do this and it's extremely frustrating. This also prevents the impossible pogo trick.
-when pogoing in any direction, after a certain distance in the air keen feels like he's dragging through the air and just cant go anymore horizontal
-after dying, occasionally i had problems with being unable to move, only able to jump, and after mashing the keys a bit keen finally went back to normal
-when jumping, it feels like keen has too much of an inital upward boost. he shoots into the air too fast.
-keen is unable to shoot while on the pogo stick
-when shooting in midair, keen's shoot frame flashes so quick its barely noticeable

Problems aside, I'm really glad to see this project is still going and progressing excellently :)
Henrock431
Vortininja

Post by Henrock431 »

Thanks for the feed back! Those bugs will be addressed as soon as possible. :)
Ceilick wrote: -when pogoing in any direction, after a certain distance in the air keen feels like he's dragging through the air and just cant go anymore horizontal
Do you mean that keen moves too slow horizontally on the pogo? I could mess with increasing the max speed.

Also how did you feel about the regular walking speed? I increased it slightly after other comments but i'm not sure what to think.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

This is so awesome! I love it.

That new monster that drops from the ceiling is just so great, and it feels like an enemy that could have been in an original keen game.

One thing strange I discovered is that the walking monsters move a lot faster on slopes than they do on normal horizontal ground.

As next improvements I'd like to see:
- a status screen (so I don't have to remember which keycard I collected already)
- more different parallax backgrounds for some variety in some levels
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Henrock431
Vortininja

Post by Henrock431 »

Ok, I've been hard at work and here's where we're at:
Ceilick wrote:I had some issues with controlling keen though, and noticed a few other problems:

-Occasionally, when keen climbs up from an edge, he flies straight up into the air in the standing position
I believe this has been fixed. at least i couldn't get it to glitch anymore. :)

Ceilick wrote:-I would really like to be able to do a high pogo jump by pressing alt and ctrl in rapid succession. Currently Keen does a small pogo bounce everytime I do this and it's extremely frustrating. This also prevents the impossible pogo trick.
Programed in the "impossible" pogo trick!
Ceilick wrote:-when pogoing in any direction, after a certain distance in the air keen feels like he's dragging through the air and just cant go anymore horizontal
Increased the speed a little let know what you think.
Ceilick wrote:-after dying, occasionally i had problems with being unable to move, only able to jump, and after mashing the keys a bit keen finally went back to normal
This may or may not have been fixed, it's a hard one to test for because I don't know why it happens, but please if anyone comes across it again let me know!
Ceilick wrote:-when jumping, it feels like keen has too much of an inital upward boost. he shoots into the air too fast.
not sure how to effectively alter this without losing height in the jump :/
Ceilick wrote:-keen is unable to shoot while on the pogo stick
interesting idea....
Ceilick wrote:-when shooting in midair, keen's shoot frame flashes so quick its barely noticeable
This has been bugging me forever. I finally found out the cause of this and it looks much better now!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Glad you got a lot of these worked out! Will the demo be updated with these?
Ceilick wrote:
-when jumping, it feels like keen has too much of an inital upward boost. he shoots into the air too fast.
not sure how to effectively alter this without losing height in the jump :/
This wasn't a big deal and was pretty easy to get used to. If it can't be fixed its not a huge problem :)
Ceilick wrote:
interesting idea....
In the orignal keen's, if keen shoots while on the pogo stick, it goes to the 'jump shoot' and returns to normally falling keen off his pogostick. This is what i was looking for, not necessarily a shooting while staying on the pogo stick ;)
Henrock431
Vortininja

Post by Henrock431 »

Alrighty folks, we have alpha 4.5!!!

http://henrock.net/rock/rockalpha4-5.zip
[Edit]: just re-uploaded the file after a few small changes, fixed a glitch where keen wouldn't shoot if he landed on the ground funny, also finally fixed the ammo counter so that if it goes over 99 it stays there while still keeping track of the actual ammo count and still works right when ammo get back below 99. Pole interaction has also been tweaked slightly.[/edit]
Ceilick wrote:
Ceilick wrote:
interesting idea....
In the orignal keen's, if keen shoots while on the pogo stick, it goes to the 'jump shoot' and returns to normally falling keen off his pogostick. This is what i was looking for, not necessarily a shooting while staying on the pogo stick ;)
Wow, I cant believe I never knew that. Well, I'll definitely add that in soon. :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Needs some godmode and item cheats.

Aside from that, it's very... Keenish, almost like a lose episode. By far the best fangame I've ever seen.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Woo, pogo is working much better! Still one request: the impossible pogo is now possible, but very difficult. Any chance the key timing can be less exact to do it? I feel like I have a 2 in 5 chance of getting it right while in the original keens it's more of a 4 in 5 chance to nailing the impossible pogo on command.

Something is up with keen shooting on platforms now. It works fine at first but usually after shooting down things get weird and I can't shoot anymore. This is playing with the reuploaded file.

Other than those two things, the physics in this are practically perfect. I need to do some testing with this open and keen 4 open in dosbox so I can check speeds and things: I think there are some instances where keen moves too slow in ROCK. I'll get back to you on that though :)