Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: HUMANIZED!!! (W.I.P.)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Whoops! Seems I posted the link before it was finished processing. Try it again now. Should be up and running proper-like. :)
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Thanks! I'm flattered! 8)

Also, yes, the files are not messed up. That is a test level, so I'm not too concerned with tile placement.

It's so I can test the new aspects of the tiles in the game, how the graphics will look, if they will work within the boundaries of the actor parameters, and if they take up too much space, which tends to corrupt the actor graphics allocated afterwards. (There was one graphical mistake I made with the teleporter the first time. Apparently the bottom of the bounding box for the teleporter and Cosmo's sprite have to be on the same level, otherwise it will not respond.)
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Does anyone have any alien characters I can use for Episode 2? (I know I keep asking, but I have 3 more places I need to fill in for Episode 2's credit screen. I might design a character for it, though.)
On the sketch-idea level I have several dozen.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

I've been hard at work trying to find new ways to use the actors Apogee programmed into the game for actions not intended for their original purpose using new graphics to accomplish it. (i.e. turning a pneumatic tube system into something that could act like a very-short-range teleporter, or using the spots left behind by unused actor sprites to create pictures for the hint-globes to advance the story.) I also want to see if it's possible to expand the animation frames of certain non-animated actors to turn them into animated actors, as if the actors already have that capability, but have only one frame that "animates" each game cycle:

Example:
I want to turn this:
Power-up module frames (only included for reference):
1-2-3-4-5-6-1-2-3-4-5-6-etc.

Green berry frames (it stays still because there is only one frame to read from):
1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-etc.

into this:
Power-up module frames:
1-2-3-4-5-6-1-2-3-4-5-6-etc.

Green berry frames (say I wanted to make the berry bob back and forth):
1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-etc.

On the other hand, I composed a new MIDI last week for episode 2. In my opinion, you'll be surprised when you hear it in the actual game.

I also have several new ideas for the levels, which may actually clarify what I'm looking for in terms of music, level design, and gameplay style.

Until I finish the tilesets and sprites for episode one (Almost finished with tilesets), I won't be making requests for level designers.

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You seem to be the world expert in Cosmo code at the current moment.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Levellass wrote:You seem to be the world expert in Cosmo code at the current moment.
I wouldn't say that just yet. I only meant it might be possible to turn non-animated objects into animated objects by adding an extra frame. (If the animated capability exists for all the sprites.) I haven't tried that yet, though.

T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Ok, people, I finally have

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!!!

… yes… thank you, Professor Farnsworth.

The entire story of the game is complete and has been programmed in. (Yes, I just said that just to make it sound good and professional.)

But seriously, THIS IS NO LATE APRIL FOOL'S JOKE. The entire story is complete from beginnings to endings, from episode 1 all the way to episode 3, and has been put into the game in the original text string spaces. All that’s left now is the graphics, sound, levels, and music.

I am hopeful now of a release date for Episode 1, if I can get some help with the rest of the game: December 2014.

If you are interested in helping me with the mod, and want to critique the story to suggest some changes (remember, there are major spoilers!), you can find the story in this folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/howt0guwqmh7bhh/fdpF-zsB9o

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hurrah!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

So glad the professor has something more positive to say than "I don't want to live on this planet anymore."
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

By the way, I will release the test level I'm making after I'm finished with the first episode tileset & attributes, if I get anyone to help me make some levels for the mod.

It's so all of us will be on the same page and I don't have to describe which tiles have which attributes. You can decide what to do with them based on how Cosmo reacts with each tile.

I'll do the same if and when I get started on episode 2 next year.

Oh, and just to let you know, I already have one level built. I'll post a level list later. Also, some graphics have to be tiled in a very specific order, otherwise they might not look right.

T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

How about a beta screenshot from the Arecibo Telescope in Puerto Rico just to whet your appetite? :D (Still need to add more decorations, and change some ideas around, but I think this will do for now.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jui78yqp5cbvo ... 1%20PM.png

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Augh! Why must everyone be so much more talented than I am?!
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Ok, for now, here are the advancements I've done in the last 3 weeks:

-Tileset for episode 1 is nearly finished. Finally put a big tree BG graphic into the set. I will be rebuilding the complex graphics in a special library level for the Cosmo Edit Level Builder, so anyone who will build levels for this mod won't have difficulty piecing them together. (That is, if anyone wants to help me build some levels...)
-Started on a few ideas for episode 2
-Finally figured out two characters for episode 2! (One was a nagging idea from 2007! I finally decided to put the character into the episode. I still wish I could have used the Kalimunchi "Ayleen" character. I would have been finished, and I was set to use her until I was told I didn't represent the character properly by her creator.)
-Taking advantage of the tilesets for episodes 2 and 3 to add some unique story elements.
-Composed a new piece of music for episode 2. (I mentioned it earlier in this topic.)
-Finished the entire textbox story portions. (That is, the stories that you access at the main menu and at the end of the episodes.)

By the way, Levellass, I'm not trying to insult your talents. It's just mine lies in art. I have no real idea how to patch Cosmo or Commander Keen, so that's an advantage.

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So Galaxieretter is still going huh? Interesting.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Hey all. :D I've got the tilesets nearly filled up. (a few stray empty spaces here and there.)

I Bobby-Princed (read: took) part of a song for episode 3. It sounds a bit better than the original song I had in mind.

However, on that subject, there is only one program change request for Episode 3 that I have at the moment: Is it possible to find the music index for the ending OR the title screen? I need it because I would like to have the title and ending music different and separate from each other.